Which Graphic Card to Buy

d3p

PowerHouse
Re: PC Buying Guide - May 2011

@Tkin: After reading the below link, i found they have released the engineering sample to Guru3d, where as the final product was something else.[The VRM Heatsink was missing]

Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic could have issues !

But they have released some BIOS updates of the same & results were improved.

Ok sorry to ask this but is there any difference between 460SE & 460 Sonic Platinum edition. Does SE means by Smart Edition ???

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

Umm, yeah:
B@st@rds lied about heatsink, review samples had vrm heatsinks on them, my card core reached 95c and tirupati won't replace them cause it was not dead and temp wasn't an issue, in the meantime my hdds crossed 45c with that in the system. You won't see many people buying palit in foreign forums.

PS: What 460 issue are you talking about? 460 had no issues, palit used a custom pcb and cooler that was cheaper than dirt and tried to scam people.

PS2: 460 SE is completely a different card than 460, its 2 different cards, it was not a redesign. Please google up 460se.

Never caused me any till now :Fingerx:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

IF everything fails just contact customer support.
Tirupati is a distributor and not a store.
obviously if the card is faulty I would expect them to replace it but it is not faulty.

105C is the peak temp after which the card is supposed to downclock,and 95C is safe.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!

95c maybe safe but that thing was heating my components like a furnace, and cust support do not work for most products in india(except corsair), they will waste your time and tell you to contact the dealer here, it the dealer's decision that matters here.

PS: The bios was just cr@p damage fixing, it didn't do any good.

@Tkin: After reading the below link, i found they have released the engineering sample to Guru3d, where as the final product was something else.[The VRM Heatsink was missing]

But they have released some BIOS updates of the same & results were improved.

Ok sorry to ask this but is there any difference between 460SE & 460 Sonic Platinum edition. Does SE means by Smart Edition ???
460SE has less shaders than both 460 1GB and 768MB models: Gainward GeForce GTX 460 SE 1 GB Review - Page 1/31 | techPowerUp

d3p

PowerHouse

IMO 95 is safe but not far away being damaged & hot-hot too....

BTW what did you do with it ???

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!

IMO 95 is safe but not far away being damaged & hot-hot too....

BTW what did you do with it ???
Lets not get to the details but it ended up on the hands of my classmate(I didn't sell it to him directly) he still doesn't know about the heating but he never checks his temps anyway, ignorance is bliss(and he plays fifa with this card).

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Lets not get to the details but it ended up on the hands of my classmate(I didn't sell it to him directly) he still doesn't know about the heating but he never checks his temps anyway, ignorance is bliss(and he plays fifa with this card).

;-) Pretty similarly I also got rid of my CM Extreme 600W and Palit 4850 512mb at a pretty handsome price. Although in my case there were not any issues, just good ol' upgrade.

Last edited:

nilgtx260

Maximum Craze

I really don't like palit, their packaging is bad as well as the card looks weird with stupid orange colour & cartoon look, and their build quality really sucks, heat issue, sudden temperature rising etc :x:x:x

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

@nilgtx260:the packaging of my GTX 260 Sonic and GTX 580s were fine.The cartoon frog is only on the box,not on the cards that I've seen so far.

I wont say they are better than MSI(first choice) or Zotac(second choice) (packaging quality is same) but availability was an issue,otherwise I was getting the lightnings.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Palit is not that bad IMO. My 4850 was cool running without any problem. But it simply won't overclock a single Mhz!!!

But definitely its the last option that I would exercise.

d3p

PowerHouse

Even mine too.

*img228.imageshack.us/i/sam0357m.jpg
*img143.imageshack.us/i/sam0358h.jpg
*img858.imageshack.us/i/sam0359q.jpg
*img69.imageshack.us/i/sam0362z.jpg
*img194.imageshack.us/i/sam0363z.jpg
*img97.imageshack.us/i/sam0364e.jpg
*img714.imageshack.us/i/sam0366t.jpg

*img228.imageshack.us/i/sam0357m.jpg