Which Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
Hi... Im about to *create* a forum like this igit forum on my college web site... so plz help me chosing which one and lil' bit how!!...
Yall know I'm a newbie... lol ;-)
Sugest... which one is beter... I heard a lil bit about PhpBB & ASP forums... I recon tht it's quite similar setting up WordPres, am I right... ??

Deep/help?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Go for PHP and MySQL based forums. Dont go for ASP.

Try: phpbb, simplemachines, IPB, vBulletin.

If u want a free forum, nothing beats simplemachines.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Forget phpBB.

Hmm.... R u willing t o pay or u wanna get free?

For paid :
vBulletin is the best that we can hope for ... it costs $160 thou. IT has more features , install hacks and mods, we can also manually code all the extra, in case u need them. But even the skins are not free in vB.

Free:
Invision power board: (IPB)
It's 1.3v full is free but it's latest version 2.XX is not free, but we have get 2.0 version trial free with some restrictions. Even it got hacks and mods...

SMF (simple machine forum) board :
It's totally free to use. The mods are also very easy to install. But i personally don't like it's interface.

Looks and iinterface:
IPB > vB > SMF

Features:
vB> SMF > IPB

Cost:
SMF > IPB > vB

So decide for yourself. I would get vB for 160$ :D

So in case you cant get licence, get IPB or SMF.

I love IPB :D

expertno.1

Technomancer
do you wanna know the feature of www.iphorum.com which is phpbb

then see this

24/7 Online phorum without restriction
Full Administrative Rights
No setup / traffic costs. Hosting on Dedicated Servers
Its 100% free. No hidden costs
Fully phpBB compatible
Optionally your own Domain for your Phorum
Personalize your Phorum with ready-to-go Theme, Avatar, Icon sets
Unlimited Threads, Members and Categories supported
Polling Feature available
Send Mass email within iphorum members
iPhorum users have their own user interface to manage avatar, signature and preferences
Free Subdomain within many available domains for different niches
No anonying advertising on your phorums

geekysage

Journeyman
ShekharPalash said:
Yall know I'm a newbie... lol :wink:
well, if you are a newbie, this is da opportunity to learn some. Install phpBB if you want a free forum, otherwise nothing beats vBulletin when it comes to bulletin boards. Besides, installing phpBB is a piece of cake even if your webhost doesn't provide fantastico or other auto install scripts. Just one rule of thumb, follow the instructions and do just what it says - nothing more, nothing less.

Good Luck.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
I would recommend phpBB as the free forum of choice because of the humongous community support for it!! Besides, since Digit runs phpBBm you are already familiar with the interface and stuff ;)

NikhilVerma

Padawan
One very good forum software is missing from the list
It's XMB (Extreme Message Board)

*www.xmbforum.com/

The reason I like it is that it's very fast, faster than any other forum I have ever seen, and has lots of hacks...

Have a look at their forums...

*forums.xmbforum.com/

vandit

In the zone
Creating forums with www.phpbbforfree.com is really really simple.....just a few clicks here and there and voila ur forums are ready..... According to me its the best site for newbies like me.....for creating forums :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom