Which cloud storage service do digit members uses (if any)?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So I read the updated article: Simplifying Cloud Storage Costs: How AWS S3 Pricing Works and it greatly explains the pricing structure of the AWS S3.
I now get why the pricing given on page: Cloud Storage Pricing | S3 Pricing by Region | Amazon Simple Storage Service, is so complicated. It's there for a reason. The reason being that an organization can greatly customize the plans based on their requirements. It's not for the faint of heart of course.

But for my needs of maintaining a fail-safe backup, I think I am still considering AWS.
Seems like I need to take out my 'spreadsheets' again, and calculate the exact amount I would be billed taking into account my usage patterns.

Story of this thread isn't over my friends.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
First of all, note that AWS S3 is not a file system. It is actually a "data store". All data is stored in key-value pairs, even if it appears to be hierarchical. That is why it does not behave as a typical file system and reading and writing data to S3 will be a bit confusing if you are not used to it.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
First of all, note that AWS S3 is not a file system. It is actually a "data store". All data is stored in key-value pairs, even if it appears to be hierarchical. That is why it does not behave as a typical file system and reading and writing data to S3 will be a bit confusing if you are not used to it.
It's hard for me to imagine how else a "file" will look like to me. It won't be a simple upload and download from lets say Solid Explorer on Android?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^Absolutely.In fact during the recent Amazon Prime sale,office 365 price was 3400 before discount.I am hoping it goes to same level(or even lower) during coming Oct great shopping sale at which time I may buy it.
So finally the sale is here. Do you think the price is Rs 3799 is the best one?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
So finally the sale is here. Do you think the price is Rs 3799 is the best one?
I was hoping it to be around 3200-3300 based on previous year but then previous years it was for 5 users(aka 5TB) but now it is 6 users(aka 6TB) so may be this is reasonable.I will still wait though for first 2 days of the sale to see if price drops any further(in worst case scenario this 3799 price should be there for entire sale duration with an increase of may be ~100 at certain times of the day).

P.S. use sbi card & sbi YONO app to get 10%+5% discount.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yup.. got the discount... Here's the final breakup..

Screenshot from 2019-09-28 23-49-31.png

So finally got the M$ subscription :D
If anyone wants 1 TB of cloud storage on your account I am willing to share mine 1 TB, for Rs 50 a month. (I would just need to add your M$ account and you will get access to 1 TB of cloud storage). Only 1 TB (one account) available for rent. ;)

For members that helped on this thread, the discounted price is Rs 45 per month :D

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good! But how come your total order value is 4160,did you add something else because current price is 3799 & I can see you got 10% sbi discount as 379.90 but you also got 361 discount(which offer is this).

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Good! But how come your total order value is 4160,did you add something else because current price is 3799 & I can see you got 10% sbi discount as 379.90 but you also got 361 discount(which offer is this).
Me too was confused from it. The promotional discount of Rs 361 IS the discount of this sale.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Me too was confused from it. The promotional discount of Rs 361 IS the discount of this sale.
You must have some other promotion applied(may be you got some unlocked coupon which gets applied automatically).

Damn amazon making things complicated! Just realised it now as typing the above line. 4140(original price of 365 before sale)-361=3799(price during sale) & 10% discount on that is 379.90. You didn't got those MORE store 150+50 coupons for 250 shopping?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no idea what that is.
Simple,you just had to buy order with final bill of min 250 at MORE supermarket/hypermarket & ask counter person to pay via amazon pay,he would ask your mobile number & a sms with a link would have come clicking on which would open amazon app in your mobile.You then pay the amount & within 10-15 minutes you would have got 2 coupons(50 off on min shopping order of 350 & 150 off on min shopping order of 600 on amazon). Now amazon automatically combine all eligible coupons for order so if you placed an order of 700 then both these 150 & 50 coupon would have combined to give you a discount of 200(effectively it is 200 off on any order above 600).

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
That's not simple at all. But thanks for the info. I don't regret not getting those coupons.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Yup.. got the discount... Here's the final breakup..

View attachment 18400

So finally got the M$ subscription :D
If anyone wants 1 TB of cloud storage on your account I am willing to share mine 1 TB, for Rs 50 a month. (I would just need to add your M$ account and you will get access to 1 TB of cloud storage). Only 1 TB (one account) available for rent. ;)

For members that helped on this thread, the discounted price is Rs 45 per month :D
Now that you've got 6TB option, can you post here if you are allowed to use all 6TB for yourself? i.e. 6TB allocated to one ID.

I'm having 1TB plan with monthly rental, would upgrade to 6TB if you confirm I would have the whole 6TB to my single ID.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Now that you've got 6TB option, can you post here if you are allowed to use all 6TB for yourself? i.e. 6TB allocated to one ID.

I'm having 1TB plan with monthly rental, would upgrade to 6TB if you confirm I would have the whole 6TB to my single ID.
I would confirm once I test. I still haven't received the key. It's coming via snail mail. -_-

Also I kinda accepted the fact that I would need to use 6 different IDs to access all 6TBs. I thought maybe not keeping all eggs in one basket might be a good thing after all.

But I would like to test that too.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I would confirm once I test. I still haven't received the key. It's coming via snail mail. -_-

Also I kinda accepted the fact that I would need to use 6 different IDs to access all 6TBs. I thought maybe not keeping all eggs in one basket might be a good thing after all.

But I would like to test that too.
Hmm, point. BUT, it's cloud, I kinda had hope that might not fail after all.

What I don't want to do is to use multiple IDs.

Check and post here if it's possible to use all 6TB to single ID.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, point. BUT, it's cloud, I kinda had hope that might not fail after all.

What I don't want to do is to use multiple IDs.

Check and post here if it's possible to use all 6TB to single ID.
It is not possible as it is clearly mentioned in product description itself: "6 users each user 1 TB & each user will obviously have a different email id". You can use this to manage multiple account though: RaiDrive, The Best Way to the remote storage RaiDrive: How to map your cloud storage accounts on Windows for free It also seems to have an overall positive review on reddit.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I would like to point out that while it's not possible to access more than 1 TB by a single ID, Microsoft seems pretty fine with sharing the folders to a single ID:

With an Office 365 Home subscription, you get a total of 6 TB storage: that's 1 TB (or 1000 GB) per user.

You can share your total storage around and have use of more than 1 TB by sharing folders between users and adding the shared folders to your own OneDrive.

Source: OneDrive storage plan and billing questions

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I wanted to give a quick update, that I have found a seemingly great solution to sync files to my OneDrive and even using encryption. Created a new thread for this: Storing files to OneDrive cloud after encryption, on Linux and using open source tool

@Vyom I would still wait for a first hand experience rather than what MS said in an article.

You try and let us know if it's possible.
I apologies, I am not ready to answer this yet though.

Top Bottom