which brand HD7770 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcid_123

Right off the assembly line
Hi All

This would be my first post here. I have gone through some of the stickies on this forum. I have almost decided on getting an HD7770. Need your inputs on which brand.

My system is a bit old now ~5yrs
cpu - E6750
mobo - Intel DG33FB
ram - 4gig ddr2
previous gpu - xfx Geforce 8600GT(dead now)
PSU - its 600W cooler master extreme power (RP 600-PCAR)

I will be upgrading mobo and cpu 2 yrs from now. So need an AMD card that i can use later in Xfire.
Also I am assuming HD770 will be around 8k in Hyderabad, any good places to buy it from ?

Thanks

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
You need to change your current PSU (i.e. CoolerMaster Extreme 600) before you can buy new grepahics card (i.e. HD7770)

OP
E

elcid_123

hey, I was just reading this article after you comments.
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

I bought this thing for around 3k and its now 3.5 yrs old. I will consider replacing this, its fan has stopped working , I wanted to replace the fan. I think better replace the supply if it wont give more than 450W. I have 3 HDD and 1 SSD , no way this card would run on this 450 W.

Any suggestions for PSUs are also welcome.

ty

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can replace the fan of the PSu ( and if it's still in good condition ) then it can hold your rig with a HD7770 easily as this gpu and the cpu you have ain't power hungry at-all - still if you want to get a new PSU do mention your budget for it as this will come handy even for your upcoming rig ( 2 yrs. later ) - if you need something cheap but good settle for Crsair VS5450 @ 2.1k.

For the gfx card get this :
MSI R7770-PMD1GD5

OP
E

elcid_123

I have removed the faulty PSU fan , but I need to find a replacement for it. PSU shows no signs of wear and tear on the outside or the PCB. This PSU is 3.5 yrs old. I want to just replace the fan, but if this 600W supply cannot give more than 450W as tested by the hardware , then I would go replacing it.

I m willing to spend 7-9k on graphics and around 3k on the PSU if the present one is not going to support this card. If present supply will be able to work with new card, I ll replace the fan only for now.

The MSI card in you link shows 7.7k, I think I will buy either this MSI one or gigabyte one. As for the PSU , I am still in two minds, whether to replace just the fan or the PSU.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
About PSU, get one of the following,
Corsair VS450 @2.2K
or
Corsair CX430V2 @2.4K

About the card, MSI seems to be the best option, considering their price and after sales service.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - replace the PSu fan with a CM 120mm Bue Led fan ( 90CFM, 2K RPM available on FK at Rs. ~500 ) and even a 450W PSU is enough for the config you have and o get a future proof PSU ( as you have a good budget of ~3k - add a little more from gpus budget of max 9k ) at ~3.5k you can settle for a Corsair CX500v2/Cx600v2.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
PSU don't need that 2K RPM fan. Even a normal Coolermaster 120mm fan costing 200/- will do the job.

OP
E

elcid_123

For the graphics card, I have decided on MSI HD7770.

the present PSU fan one was a 2.5k rpm , 95 CFM fan. In my knowledge , PSUs do need a very high CFM as compared to cabinet fans. An LED fan inside a PSU seems waste of money. When I will go to buy the graphics card , i ll try to get a similar rating fan for the PSU from the market.

Lets say with present cooler master PSU(I am convinced its a bad product) which is rated at 600W gives not more than 480W as per the hardwaresecret bench, getting a new 430 or 450W doesnt make much sense to me. So i think i will replace the fan only and continue with this PSU.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
LED fan is needed or not inside of the PSU entirely depends on the user's test - personally I like them ( and look at Corsair GS series ) and that 2k RPM 90CFM CM LED fanis the closet possible fan you can get for your PSU at a reasonable price.

PSU don't need that 2K RPM fan. Even a normal Coolermaster 120mm fan costing 200/- will do the job.

mre the RPM means better cooling ;-)

OP
E

elcid_123

I am updating this about 2 weeks late, I had purchased a Sapphire HD7770 - running cool and silent. Replaced the PSU fan also for now. Next PSU will be a corsair when time comes.

Its giving 50-60 fps for Fable III at high settings (shadows OFF) @ 1920x1080. I am happy.

Thanks all of you for your inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom