Which AV will best suit my needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yeah, if you want a good and nice and light AV, go for NOD32. Otherwise Kaspersky could be a second choice. Dont even look for a third one....

For independant AV reviews, check *www.av-comparatives.org

And those of you recommending ZA, its using VET engine. Not that good, if you ask me.

Nod32 has the *best* heuristics in the AV industry check pro-active tests at *www.av-comparatives.org

Kaspersky has the best signatures...

The choice is yours... But one thing i can say confidently, no other AV can even TOUCH these two AVs..

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
i go with kalpik. One prob, if you could explain a bti more about "Nod32 has the *best* heuristics " i would be thankful. As i use kaspersky personal PRO ( took me months to get key :? ) i am COMPLETELY satisfied with it :)

Biplav

In the zone
za av is useless.
i just installed it and sooner than i expected: removed it.
try this:
*www.misec.net/products/TrojanSimulator.zip
is a trojan simulator:dont worry it wont harm ur pc.
its for testing ur AV's strenght.
i had ZA and yes it detected it but not as a Trojan or virus but as an application trying to launch itself at the start of the computer everytime like yahoo msngr, deamon tools,nero check, za itself :shock: :shock: .
It failed in detecting it as a trojan.
now i installed nod32 and it wont even allow me to download the file.
Nod32 is by far the best option if u want best security without compromising on the Ram.

kalpik

__Virus__ said:
i go with kalpik. One prob, if you could explain a bti more about "Nod32 has the *best* heuristics " i would be thankful. As i use kaspersky personal PRO ( took me months to get key :? ) i am COMPLETELY satisfied with it :)
Heuristics is a technology which identifies new and unknown viruses. Most AV's require signatures or definitons to detect viruses. Even NOD32 does, but it has excellent heuristics. Suppose there is a new virus outbreak. The AV guys identify the virus and release signatures for it. Even though Kaspersky releases signatures almost every hour, even then you may not get those signatures for the latest virus before 1 or 2 hours. You are at a risk for those 2 hours... Heuristics although identify that virus without the need for signatures... Thats how it gives zero hour protection. NOD32 identified all those mytoob, zotob and sober varients without signatures...

Hope i explained it well! Actually i've done a lot of research on AV's and Firewalls... If any help needed, please ask!

anandk

Distinguished Member
Biplav said:
za av is useless.
try this:
i.

nice link biplav. i use zass, and have not been infected. but u r right, it did not detect it. i also have avast and avg as my secondary av. they too did not detect it. only trojanhunter and ewido detected it as 'the test trojansimulator file'. this led me to think that perhaps the av scanners r smarter than v think, and they know its the test trojan, and threfore do not want to identi5 it as one. nod32 must have detected it on its heurisics strength.

i too agree with most views above:
kav for definations strength. even bitdefender is good !
nod32 for arguably the best heuristics.
ultimately, MenTaLLyMenTaL, u will have totry a few b4 u settle on one !

i tried almost all except norman, pclin among the top ones;
i prefer to use the triple defense layered zass. :)

I

invisible

Biplav said:
za av is useless.
try this:
i had ZA and yes it detected it but not as a Trojan or virus but as an application trying to launch itself at the start of the computer everytime like yahoo msngr, deamon tools,nero check, za itself :shock: :shock: .
Nod32 is by far the best option if u want best security without compromising on the Ram.
u mighe have used ZA6 version :x
tell me which antivirus is detecting this demo trojan?

I

invisible

MenTaLLyMenTaL said:
For ZA AV -

System Requirements:
Windows 98SE/ME/2000 Pro/XP. Pentium III 450 MHz or higher. 50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access. Minimum system RAM: 48MB (98SE/ME), 64MB (2000 Pro), 128MB (XP). More Info

Other AVs dont require so much which means that ZA will be more resource hungry than them.

Right now i am quite satisfied with NOD32 and next to it is AntiVir. I am just not sure of their virus detection capabilities. If they are good in detecting, then that's my final.
this is for version 6 not for 5 :x

kalpik

invisible said:
Biplav said:
za av is useless.
try this:
none? :shock:

*img422.imageshack.us/img422/2566/untitled8ei.jpg

OP
MenTaLLyMenTaL

MenTaLLyMenTaL

Broken In
:evil: NOD32 doesnt give exact name of a malware. Mostly it gives NewHeur_PE. I think I'll switch to AntiVir again. Bitdefender is what I like very much but only thing that stops me from using it is it interferes with Opera.

kalpik

^^ the NewHeur_PE detections are those via advanced heuristics. It will give name to stuff detected via signatures...

Sajeev

Broken In
Although I have never been infected by a virus, ....I have always been seaching for the best antivirus and firewall ..., I have tried Pc-cillin internet security 2005,Norton Internet security 2005,Zone alarm Internet security(AV+Firewall),Kaspersky Internet security 05 ....I thought I found it in kaspersky..........
As I type this Tsserv.exe is running in the background ....I realise ...I have failed ...,every forum I see this disscussion...... I see that name ......NOD32 ......I think its time for a switch

(I just finished Max pyane 2 for the second time I played it last jan04 for the first time...I just love this game & have not got out of that mood yet ..hence this dramatic post)

hsksattish

Broken In
Hey i too want to try out nod 32.But I also want to backup my norton virus definitions anyway.Will a normal backup of the virus definitions directory just work?

Biplav

In the zone
invisible said:
Biplav said:
za av is useless.
try this:

honestly speaking i dont get any of wat u are saying.
i think i mentioned nod32 didnt even allow me to download the file.
obviously then nod32 detected it .
yes i tried it on zap 6 and not 5.
y shud i use an outdated version for the latest tests?

OP
MenTaLLyMenTaL

MenTaLLyMenTaL

Broken In
kalpik said:
^^ the NewHeur_PE detections are those via advanced heuristics. It will give name to stuff detected via signatures...

It means it doesnt have its signatures uptodate and depends more on Heuristic techonology for detecting. The same files which i scanned with NOD32 were named properly by other AVs on virusscan.jotti.org

I want proper names coz it tells what kind of malware it is, what will happen if its run and how safe wud it be run it or for researching about it on net.

kalpik

@MentallyMental: You can submit those files to ESET (the company that owns NOD32, they will tell more about the file..

I

invisible

I got the answer from other forum why ZA dint detect trojansimulator

Many antiviruses will not detect this because they know that this is for simulation purpose.Only NOD32 detects this bcoz for its advertising purposes.All the other antivirus have not updated this trojansimulator in the virus definitions bcoz its of no use.Even AVG will not detect it which has been rated as the best AV in virus detection.U can PM me for more details.

Eventhen, Today i installed NOD32 and Sygate.
SYgate looked very bad to me .It looks like an old windows 95 application.and then it crashed for me every time i start it.I know that this doesnt happen on every computer but i got frustrated with it.I think both sygate and ZA firewalls are good.SO we may use any one.

ANd then i installed NOd32.After that i visited known crack sites which installs some http kind viruses when u browse.But nod32 dint detect any viruses when visiting cracks.** sites.

THen uninstalled both.and installed ZA again.
Now when visiting the same sites ZA detected those viruses superbly and also cleaned them so superbly.So i i lost all the faith in NOD32.

ZA takes less resources than NOD32.(and also remember that it has both AV and FW,so no need to install another FW,the windows firewall is only for beginners,it protects only one way)
Here I m talking about ZA5 version not ZA6.

@Biplav
u said why shud i use outdated ZA5 version?
the answer is simple.WHy mnay people still use NAV2003?bcoz the latest vrsions are more resource hungry.Same applies to ZA6.ZA6 is a bit more resource hungry and also a bit buggy.The much stable and smooth bersion is ZA5.94.

Zone alarm (AV+FW) 5.94 link : *rapidshare.de/files/8281319/zaAvSetup_55_094_000.exe.html

*img463.imageshack.us/img463/9445/syg1ii.jpg

kalpik

Many antiviruses will not detect this because they know that this is for simulation purpose.Only NOD32 detects this bcoz for its advertising purposes.All the other antivirus have not updated this trojansimulator in the virus definitions bcoz its of no use.Even AVG will not detect it which has been rated as the best AV in virus detection.U can PM me for more details.

You mean to say that AVs should stop detecting EICAR test virus too! Right???

And AVG is the best in virus detection??!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No Comments!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom