Which AV will best suit my needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MenTaLLyMenTaL

Broken In
I've read the Reviews, but am not able to decide which one to use.

What I want in the AV:

1) Obviuosly a good protection from viruses, trojans, spyware etc
2) Least memory intensive
3) Should give option to disable it from a normal User account also (in XP)
4) Should give a detailed name of a malware when found (I hate the name Avast shows - just like Trojano/123)
5) Should give option to exclude some folders from scanning
6) Updates
7) Should have a onAcces scanner
8) Don't need email scanner
9) May or maynot be freeware

I've tried
1) Mcafee 9 (only for a few minutes) - Very memory intensive
2) Panda Personal - Slowed down startup, didnt look satisfactory
3) Avast free - Nice but not good in detecting and not satisfactory virus names
4) BitDefender - I liked very much, not much memory intensive. Only thing for which i removed it yday is it freezes Opera when its loading a page and i cant do with opera freezing every now and then
5) AntiVir - Temporarily installed till i get satisfactory response from here, but i find it very less memory intensive. Extremely happy with it, but i dont know how good its detection is. I tried testing it with EICAR, it detected .com while downloading, but didnt detect .zip and .txt.

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
this has been posted many time
please search
moreover ,

i suggest goin for Norton-2006
coz arguably nortan is the best
albiet the system resources anamoly

but it too has been cleared up in Nortan-2006

kikass

Broken In
try NOD32..... i started using it a month or so back and it hasnt given me any problems as yet... very good detection, low memory usage, small update sizes. used to have norton 2005, totally updated, but NOD has detected and removed quite a few trojans from my installation which norton didnt even detect.

Sajeev

Broken In
You have not tried the best antivirus software!!
You MUST try these two
1)KASPERSKY ANTIVIRUS 2006 & ANTI HACKER(firewall)
2)PC-CILLIN INTERNET SECURITY 2006

Pc-cillin has spyware detection & fraud detection(like in IE 7 beta) and lots of other features

both as as good if not better than Norton in terms of protection , they dont eat up your system resources either
Dont go for ANY SYMANTEC PRODUCT they just got lucky so many people brought their product

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
try Ewido, i have been using it for 2 months.
it also scans for malwares and registry changes.

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
"IF" you are or wud like to use Norton, I recommend you to go for Norton corporate versions. Oh my it consumes not much than 350 k of memory.

BTW is it true with Norton getting low on system resources in version 2006 ?

OP
MenTaLLyMenTaL

MenTaLLyMenTaL

Broken In
About Norton, i myself have seen it cannot detect some trojans when packed a little (I tried at Yahoo Mail for testing). And when i had NAV 2004, it ate resources. So if its gonna become a better detector and eat low resources in 2006, i'll get it.

But after reading the reviews in other section, I'll try NOD32 first coz low use of resources is my first priority.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
MenTaLLyMenTaL said:
About Norton, i myself have seen it cannot detect some trojans when packed a little (I tried at Yahoo Mail for testing). And when i had NAV 2004, it ate resources. So if its gonna become a better detector and eat low resources in 2006, i'll get it.

But after reading the reviews in other section, I'll try NOD32 first coz low use of resources is my first priority.

I have been using Avast for more than one year now, but along with Zone Alarm, Spybot, AdAware and Spywareblaster and now MS Antispyware also. Earlier it was Win 98 and now Win XP SPII. Never had any problem. It is low on usage of resources, especally when compared to Norton which I was using earlier for many years. And it is updted almost daily and sometimes more than once daily. And it is free.

V.Prem Kumar

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
i would say go for Kaspersky AntiVirus Personal Pro 5.0

Sajeev said:
1)KASPERSKY ANTIVIRUS 2006 & ANTI HACKER(firewall)

the 2006 is still in beta stage... & it has had its problem... many problem is still yet to be solve... lots of bug is still their to be removed... imfact they delayed its release... check the KAV official forum

i suggest those who considering to go for 2006 version of KAV to waut a little bit... the KAV 5.0 is still the best even every other AVS company have brought 2006 new version... up2date KAV 5.0 still the best...

but the KAV is a little resource hungry... untill u scan the whole HDD once...

h_kunte

Journeyman
Kspersky Anti Virus shall fulfill ur needs to the T.....I have heard that NAV 2006 is no all that resource hungry, but I am paranoid about it & will not recommend it to anyone....

You may also try Quick Heal.....It is damn fast...very low on resources & its detection rate is very good.....The only con....Far too many false alarms....

HK

I

invisible

suggest only one good AV.
everyone is saying their own antivirus is the best like norton,kasper,jumbo,panda,nod,avg,qucikdeal,bit,fut,mandra,pcclean,........ wtf? :x

I

invisible

MenTaLLyMenTaL said:
I think i'll sick to NOD32 now that i have it installed. I'll try QuickHeal also later.
Hey why dont you try Zonealarm antivirus 5(not 6) :p

I

invisible

QwertyManiac said:
^^^
ITs still a myth as to which is the best Anti... it takes time deciding..
zonealarm antivirus 5 is the best with no bugs,no system slowness,very very good antivirus protection(even while visiting harmful sites like freeserials),best firewall

dont go for 6 version too buggy and slows the system to an extent:x

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yes and u might like to add one more thing - "Does nothing, not even warns/disables ur virii, purely unobtrusive and useless, all for jus $435739457 only" :|

I

invisible

QwertyManiac said:
Yes and u might like to add one more thing - "Does nothing, not even warns/disables ur virii, purely unobtrusive and useless, all for jus $435739457 only" :|
wtf
i used norton before but wtf it didnt detect many worms while visiting crack sites
:wink:
but with ZA5 it simply superb

dont post such **** comments without testing it

con_tester

Journeyman
MenTaLLyMenTaL said:
AntiVir - Temporarily installed till i get satisfactory response from here, but i find it very less memory intensive. Extremely happy with it, but i dont know how good its detection is. I tried testing it with EICAR, it detected .com while downloading, but didnt detect .zip and .txt.

I m also using it and I m fond of this free av.
I suggest just stick with it..

I

invisible

mental test this one
*rapidshare.de/files/8281319/zaAvSetup_55_094_000.exe.html

this comes with AV + FW .FW might be confusing for u in the initial state but its simple.

OP
MenTaLLyMenTaL

MenTaLLyMenTaL

Broken In
For ZA AV -

System Requirements:
Windows 98SE/ME/2000 Pro/XP. Pentium III 450 MHz or higher. 50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access. Minimum system RAM: 48MB (98SE/ME), 64MB (2000 Pro), 128MB (XP). More Info

Other AVs dont require so much which means that ZA will be more resource hungry than them.

Right now i am quite satisfied with NOD32 and next to it is AntiVir. I am just not sure of their virus detection capabilities. If they are good in detecting, then that's my final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom