When A Mouse Requires An Internet Connection for Full Functionality

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now this is news, any Synapse 2.0 enabled device from Razer needs an active internet connection to install the software and make use of all the extra buttons and features thrown in. If not, the device will work like normal plug-and-play device. So your 5k+ worth of device will function not better than a 200-buck device if the connection goes kaput or servers are down. Basically, now you need an always on internet connection for your hardware too. ;)

Problem starts here:-

Razer Synapse 2.0 software/mouse unusable if you dont have an internet connection or their...

Just bought a new Naga 2012 mouse, installed the software and get greeted by a login screen right after. No option to bypass it to use the software to configure the mouse, set the options, sensitivity, shortcuts, macros etc.

So I go ahead and create an account and try to log in. Nothing. Try several more times, and still nothing. Try to make new accounts with different email addresses and it still wont work.

Finally call Razer who tells me the activation server is down, and I wont be able to use the mouse until it goes back up and will only be able to use it as a standard plug and play mouse til then. I ask about a workaround to use the mouse offline and they say there is none. Supposedly once the mouse is activated on the computer offline mode will work, but it needs to upload my profile and activate my account first and since their server is down its not going to happen. I ask for a supervisor to confirm this is the case and ask again for a workaround to use it offline. He said sorry theres nothing they can do, tells me the call center is closing and hangs up on me.

Im pretty shocked Razer thought it was a good idea to do this to customers. Nowhere on the box does it say anything about needing an internet connection to "activate" a mouse. If the servers go down in the future, anyone who buys this mouse is out of luck.

The poster went on:-

Razer forces you to create an account with them before you can use the software with the mouse. You cant configure the mouse in any way until you make an account with them and activate your computer and account through their server. If they decide to take down their activation server for any reason, you will never be able to use the software. If you live somewhere without access to internet, you will not be able to activate and use the software. If you work somewhere that has a network behind firewalls, chances are even though you can download the Synapse software, the firewall may also block you from activating and using the software as well.

If your connection drops out for any reason, the Synapse software will make a habbit of locking up on you while it transitions to offline mode. During that time your settings may revert or possibly not be saved.

Yes, you can use the mouse as plug and play with basic functionality if you choose not to make an account and activate your computer, but who pays $80 for a basic plug and play mouse? The reason people buy the Naga 2012 is the configurable buttons and to change the DPI, polling rate, set up macros and profiles along with everything else. Razer has no right to lock this away from customers who paid for these features. For the Naga 2012 mouse, there is no other offline drivers to revert to. Synapse 2.0 is your only option.

Razers Synapse 2.0 software is always online. If you have an internet connection active, Razer will be constantly using it constantly downloading updates and interrupting your full screen applications. Not only that, as I suspected, the Synapse 2.0 software is spying on you.

From the Razer Synapse TOS agreement:

“User Generated Information” means any information made available to Razer through your use of the Software. Subject to the Privacy Policy mentioned above, you expressly grant Razer the complete and irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the User Generated Information and derivative works thereof in any form, anywhere, with or without attribution to you, and without any notice or compensation to you of any kind.

By using Razer Synapse 2.0 (“Synapse”), the Subscriber agrees that Razer may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information. Razer may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Razer shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.

Of course, like every other things in life there's a workaround:-

Razer Synapse 2.0 offline saved settings and login, for offline PC's

Original article here:-

When A Mouse Requires An Internet Connection, You're Doing 'Cloud' Wrong

Also read the comments, some are frickin' hilarious. :lol:

I was considering trying some Razer other products, but I think I'll just stick with their mousepads (until they need a internet connection too).

amjath

Human Spambot
:lol: I always love the comment section, this title is hilarious too "You're Doing 'Cloud' Wrong" :lol:

doomgiver

Warframe
Let us do a yagna, where we burn Razer products.

I was a staunch proponent of their products until 3 of their mice quit on me.

Now, they have given me another reason to hate them.

May their CEO burn in the deepest recesses of hell.

Last edited:
OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
And this is from the CEO:-

*i.imgur.com/nCpsH.png

But even Microsoft mouse are like that. The wireless combo I have simply ignore drivers from CD/other media and specifically download the drivers. WTF!!!

tkin

Back to school!!
Lots of gaming devices need internet conn. once to download drivers, both my logitech mouse and keyboards require this, its not drm, but always on internet conn. is just crazy.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Razer, you have got the concept of ease of use all wrong.

It beats my imagination as to why Razer would want to collect usage data of any kind at all :-?

shaurya.malik88

Broken In
What kind of data will the mouse collect - I don't see any other use for an internet connection? And how will that data help in designing better mouses (or mice, is it?)?

Top Bottom