Whatsapp backup query

BhargavJ

In the zone
I got it working!

Whatsapp's offfical guide:

WhatsApp FAQ - Restoring your chat history

I checked the file sizes of the same file (msgstore.db.crypt12) in both places (computer and internal storage), and it was different, probably because of the new messages that came yesterday.

First, I copied the Databases folder from the computer to the internal storage again - only that folder, not the whole media folder with its subfolders. Then I uninstalled Whatsapp. This didn't remove the Whatsapp folder in the internal storage. Then I again installed Whatsapp and started it. After verifying the number, it said that it had found a local backup, and I selected the restore the backup option. It took a few seconds to process the files, and then the main screen came up, and everything had been restored! All the previous messages, images, and videos!

The first time I had installed Whatsapp on this phone after copying the Whatsapp folder to the local storage, it hadn't checked the local storage. After verifying the number, it had asked me if I wanted to backup to Google Drive, and I had selected no, and then it had displayed the main screen, and the older local backup had not been processed.

I'm greatly relieved on getting all the messages back. If others face a similar problem, just do these steps. I still feel that restoring from Google Drive is the best option, but if you can't do that, this other method also works.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Anybody using GBWhatsapp ?

I updated the GBWhatsapp and now there are two icons of Whatsapp...and the new icon is not detecting the backup of old one.
How do I transfer the chatbackups to new one ?

Gbwhatsapp is I presume to use 2 WhatsApp's via different numbers in a dual Sim phone. Is your phone having say v1 icon and the new updated v2 icon?
Please backup your stuff to Google drive in the meantime.

Top Bottom