Whatsapp backup query

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
My dear in the new phones specially Samsung's you cannot uninstall the preinstalled softwares without root. I don't want to root yet as it will ruin the warranty. I installed WA+ in one of the phones without any issues and then the owner told me remove it. Now I am getting the same error if I try to install WA+ or GBWA in that phone too.

You are using 2 different accounts right?? You can't use the same account on OG WA and GB WA at the same time.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
What do you mean by 2 different accounts? As of now I have got a new phone and I haven't activated the preinsatlled WA. All I want to use is a modded version of the same.

Last edited:
OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=169037]ariftwister[/MENTION]
Because I don't want dual WA. Moreover the dual one is also fixing that error.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
But if u delete the media files from your phone or via Whatsapp Chat windows then the backup media will also be deleted...correct me.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
You are correct but my query is different dear.

- - - Updated - - -

The package conflicts with an existing package by the same name.

Then, what you downloaded isn't (dual) GB whatsapp. Because that has different package name than the official one, which won't conflict and thats the whole point of it.

BhargavJ

In the zone
I am buying a new phone and wish to transfer the entire Whatsapp database (including photos and videos) to the new phone - Android to Android. I used ES File Explorer to find out the size of the Whatsapp folder; it is 2.33 GBs (about two years of data). If I use Google Drive to backup and restore, will Whatsapp upload 2.33 GBs of data from the current phone to Google Drive and then download the same amount onto the new phone later, or will it compress the files to save data? My concern is with uploading and downloading this many GBs of data. Second, when it has restored the backup, will the conversations look the same as they do now - the messages, images and videos in the same order as they are now, or will it be jumbled up?

Suppose I just copy the main Whatsapp folder to my computer (with its subfolders) and later copy it to the new phone and then install Whatsapp on it, will it pick up all the messages, images and videos and display them in the correct order? Doing this will save me a lot of GBs.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Suppose I just copy the main Whatsapp folder to my computer (with its subfolders) and later copy it to the new phone and then install Whatsapp on it, will it pick up all the messages, images and videos and display them in the correct order? Doing this will save me a lot of GBs.

Yes, this will work. After installing the whatsapp on new mobile, it will ask for restoration, click yes and everything will be restored.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I am buying a new phone and wish to transfer the entire Whatsapp database (including photos and videos) to the new phone - Android to Android. I used ES File Explorer to find out the size of the Whatsapp folder; it is 2.33 GBs (about two years of data). If I use Google Drive to backup and restore, will Whatsapp upload 2.33 GBs of data from the current phone to Google Drive and then download the same amount onto the new phone later, or will it compress the files to save data? My concern is with uploading and downloading this many GBs of data. Second, when it has restored the backup, will the conversations look the same as they do now - the messages, images and videos in the same order as they are now, or will it be jumbled up?

Do let us know whether it worked or not.

BhargavJ

In the zone
Duh... I was hoping there would be a whole lot of people who have copied the Whatsapp folder to the computer and then on to the internal memory of the new mobile, and successfully restored the backup in this way. No offense, but your comment makes me doubt whether it will work or not. :)

ariftwister has replied that it will work, and I will go ahead with this option. The other option is to upload and download a lot of GBs of data, and I don't want to do that. I'll inform you all later what happens, probably tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Duh... I was hoping there would be a whole lot of people who have copied the Whatsapp folder to the computer and then on to the internal memory of the new mobile, and successfully restored the backup in this way. No offense, but your comment makes me doubt whether it will work or not. :)

ariftwister has replied that it will work, and I will go ahead with this option. The other option is to upload and download a lot of GBs of data, and I don't want to do that. I'll inform you all later what happens, probably tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.
I personally don't think that it will work, I didn't want to lower your morale so didn't say anything. The Google drive method is tedious but it will work for sure.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Anybody using GBWhatsapp ?

I updated the GBWhatsapp and now there are two icons of Whatsapp...and the new icon is not detecting the backup of old one.
How do I transfer the chatbackups to new one ?

BhargavJ

In the zone
I tried the copy to computer and then to the new mobile method, and it didn't work... :wah:

I had tried using the Google Drive method to make a backup, not selecting the videos as they take the most space, and Whatsapp first made a backup of around 400 MB, and then started uploading it to Google Drive, but got stuck at 40%. It didn't move past that for a long time, so I cancelled it. I don't know if the partial backup exists on Google Drive, or whether it can be used to restore the backup; will have to check.

I copied the Whatsapp folder from the old phone to the computer, didn't uninstall Whatsapp from the old phone, and did a factory reset. After installing Whatsapp on the new phone, I didn't open the app (as recommended in a guide). I copied the Whatsapp folder from the computer to the phone, then opened Whatsapp, and went through the process of setting up the account. It displayed all my contacts/groups, and at first I thought it had successfully restored the backup, but when I opened a group, I saw that it contained only new messages from today. It starts with xx created this group on this date, you were added, and then today's messages. None of the previous messages.

I would still like to restore the old conversations. Does anyone have any suggestions? What happens if I uninstall Whatsapp from the new phone - will it delete my Whatsapp account and remove me from all the groups, or just remove the app from the phone? What if I again copy the Databases folder from the computer to the new phone? This is if it allows me to overwrite that folder. What if I try to restore the partial backup from Google Drive? I'm going to try all these methods, but I thought I'd ask first; maybe someone has used one of these three methods to successfully correct a messed up restore job.

As @billubakra has said, the best method is using Google Drive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom