whats the real difference between RAM kits and single RAM stick.?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
The memory tab in CPU-Z shows what timings the RAM is running at. SPD shows the available timings with the respective voltages.

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
32 bit consumer grade OS has limitation but it's not a limitation of all 32 bit OS. a 32 bit OS can address upto 64GB of ram. for eg. Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x86 ( 32 bit ) Edition supports upto 64GB of Ram.
yup..server editions support more as the system based on server demands more and stable output..so the need is big..but my question remains..what about linux desktop editions (both x86 n x64)..will they support more than 4GB of main memory??

Dual channel kit does not doubles up the frequency speed but what you get is a increment in bus width - single channel mem works at 64 bit bus width but dual channel works at 128 bit bus width by using two 64-bit data channels at the same time.

true..it is just like one stick takes a load of other one..so better throughput than single channel..

for this you need to compile the kernel with PAE(physical address extension).
it possible then how?? is it possible for client users who downloads and installs linux distro or talking about at the time of making os flavour..??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not a linux expert ( or a user anymore ) though I've at-least 3 years of experience with it and once I've tried a live disc of a x86 edition of linpus ( later installed fedora and opensuse but the resut was same anyway ) linux and it was unable to recognize all 4GB mem - so by default linux x86 editions don't support ( let you use ) all 4GB mem.

Now coming to the PAE part - that will configure the kernel to address upto 16GB ram ( like windows server editions ) but that's complicated process anyway - either you have to get a PAE version of the linux ( distro ) kernel you are using or you will have to recompile the kernel by yourself - which not many users can able to do.

So the best way is to get a 64 bit version of your favorite linux distro and that will let you use all the ram ;-)