what to do with extra usb power port

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi.xolve

Broken In
I purchased a new maxtor basics 120 GB external hard disk. The usb connector cable I got with it hasTHREE endpoint. Two go into PC, they are labled 'DATA+POWER' and "POWER'. Other goes into hd itself.

I have two questions:

1) I plugged 'DATA+POWER' only into usb port and it functioned normally. Will it cause harm if I don't plug 'POWER' part of the cable into usb? I wat to switch to a two point cable to reduce clutter.

2) How to know if a usb port is self powered?

contactram

Broken In
i have a similar external hd. it works just fine with one cable plugged in. the other cable draws additional power from the pc. all usb ports are capable of providing power, though weak. i'd advise plugging both in

User Name

In the zone
Well i hav cable which hav 2 endpoints for USB connection to PC and other end is for HDD connection.
I always connect only one end point to pc while other leaving as it is.
(Actually when i bought HDD the shop man said only one end point to be connected to pc. )
Is it fine or not? Should i connect both?

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
I too have two ports of...the hardware vendor said one port for master and other one for slave...it that right if i plug my HDD with other one there is no power nor HDD is recognized by the PC...but first one works..

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
The extra Power connector is only for some laptops and old computers which cannot provide the sufficient power thru one usb port. You need to plug in the Power connector to another usb port only if you face any problems with HDD plugged into one port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom