what to buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Hi all,

Although this is my first post here, I aint new to Digit magazine. Have been buying it consistently for the past 5 years now :)

Well I have the following config -

AMD Anthalon 2400+
512MB DDR RAM 100MHZ (single slot)
80 GB HDD
ASUS K7 266 (I think) mobo
64MB graphics card (Geforce Mx 440)

I am lookin for one of two things :

I am lookin to upgrade my graphics card...suggestions please! I have around 10K (rupees ofcourse!). I am lookin for something which will enable me to play doom 3 and Half Life 2.... thanx all!

Second, I am looking for a guide to to over clock my cpu. Do understand that I have no idea about overclocking!!!!

icecoolz

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
Buddy u can avoid that mx 440 as it is directx 7 based.
Try some fx series :D
..:: peace ::..
Jeba

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
AMD 2400-3950
I recommend going for a amd 2600 barton for 4500,if you can't go for amd 64
ddr pc 1600 is too old and difficult to find.Take ddr 266/333 from transcend/corsair if you have no money prob else from hynix.
Take asus/msi mobo,nforce2 ,not sure about model name.Good ones come from 5-7k.

For playing doom3 @ 800*600*32,med settings,avg.30fps or more
128mb radeon 9600xt/fx 5700
I recommend going for 128mb powercolour radeon 9800pro for 12950.
What's your total budget?

theraven

Technomancer
fpr ard 10k ??
hmmm
well stretch it to ard 12 and ull get an ati 9800
or else in that range go for an ati 9600
or an fx 5700
as for over clockin theres a guide somewhere here
ahhh the very first topic
its marked as a sticky ... pay a lil more attention dude
here u go
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic...ec&PHPSESSID=3c96b630caa0cb1bc50892c9a6d09e43

godzi_85

In the zone
icecoolz said:
Hi all,

Although this is my first post here, I aint new to Digit magazine. Have been buying it consistently for the past 5 years now :)

Well I have the following config -

AMD Anthalon 2400+
512MB DDR RAM 100MHZ (single slot)
80 GB HDD
ASUS K7 266 (I think) mobo
64MB graphics card (Geforce Mx 440)

I am lookin for one of two things :

I am lookin to upgrade my graphics card...suggestions please! I have around 10K (rupees ofcourse!). I am lookin for something which will enable me to play doom 3 and Half Life 2.... thanx all!

Second, I am looking for a guide to to over clock my cpu. Do understand that I have no idea about overclocking!!!!

icecoolz
dude u got the same pc as me.. when exactly did you buy it?
i think you can play doom3 on an mx to .. though not so sure..
dude where do u live?? if in mumbai.. you can take you config to some pc vendor at lamington road... and ask him for a better config and also ask him as to hom much he`ll take for your pc...
i think i can really get a good config for less money if less this pc to that guy...
the config can be something like..
amd athlon 64 3000+ xp
120 gb hdd
ati radeon 9800 non pro/ nvidia 5700
asus k8v mobo(i think this is the only mobo that supports 64 bit processors)
i hope i helped a bit....

OP
I

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
re; budget

thanks Akshay. I think I got the RAM sepc wrong as it cost me 3600 Rs for the 512 MB piece. And I got the PC 10 months ago. I am happy with the processor....I know the graphics card needs the update. Also I have a friend coming from the US/UK so if you got any suggestions that I can get from there that would also be helpful....

As for my budget its around 10K and I am really lookin to upgrade just one component right now....

cheers!
icecoolz

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
128mb radeon 9800 pro sapphire/ati(by site)/ati(by newegg)=195/225/250$
256mb radeon 9800pro by ati site=300$

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
128mb radeon 9800 pro sapphire/ati(by site)/ati(by newegg)=195/225/250$
256mb radeon 9800pro by ati site=300$
128mb geforce 6800=290$

theraven

Technomancer
as of now the 6800 beats the x800 also ...
so lets wait and see ... specially till the pci-express versions are out
for now 6800 AGP 8x is ur best bet .. if u can afoord it
BTW $290 is pretty cheap .. specially if u can sneak past customs ... hmm
im gonna talk to my dad abt this :D

OP
I

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
hey Akshay...thanks for your help....I'll tell the people when they are coming to get the 6800... Just b4 I tell them to get it I'll post here and u guys can tell me if something new has come that I should consider...

Also thought u guys might wanna look at this

*hisdigital.com/html/x800xt_iceqii.htm

this is around 250 $ :D

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
theraven said:
as of now the 6800 beats the x800 also ...
so lets wait and see ... specially till the pci-express versions are out
for now 6800 AGP 8x is ur best bet .. if u can afoord it
BTW $290 is pretty cheap .. specially if u can sneak past customs ... hmm
im gonna talk to my dad abt this :D

raven hold on a wee bit longer, the 6800GT still costs 460$+ which is a bit high right now. However those prices are bound to lower when demand for these card rises and newer games like HL2, stalker etc are released !! For now it's wait and watch for me atleast. :D

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
akshayt said:
for prices to fall from 460$ to half it will take maybe a year.
Since when did the market start behaving on ur whims and fancies dude. See this year is gonna see probably the most gfx intensive games being released. So ppl are gonna need that much gfx processing power. the GT delivers all that @ a reasonable price and is bound to be popular.

OP
I

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
blade_runner said:
akshayt said:
Since when did the market start behaving on ur whims and fancies dude. See this year is gonna see probably the most gfx intensive games being released. So ppl are gonna need that much gfx processing power. the GT delivers all that @ a reasonable price and is bound to be popular.

I think Akshay has a point.....although I dont think that the markets will take a year for the prices to drop it might take upto 6 months atleast. And ur logic of prices going down to make it available to the gamers esp for Hl2 and Doom 3 doesnt buy. Simple logic greater the demand greater the price. People will still pay the money to get the card to play the game.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
icecoolz said:
blade_runner said:
akshayt said:

I think Akshay has a point.....although I dont think that the markets will take a year for the prices to drop it might take upto 6 months atleast. And ur logic of prices going down to make it available to the gamers esp for Hl2 and Doom 3 doesnt buy. Simple logic greater the demand greater the price. People will still pay the money to get the card to play the game.

I was talking about volumes dude, and in graphics card this principle goes: Any card that does volume will probably be available @ a lower price. For example take the 9800pro, i has lotsa sales and hence has grown cheaper. Similarly the fx5200, it costs only 3.3k since it does good sales. Get a general quote @ most shops on lamington road and they'll recommend the fx 5200 only. A 6 month time frame is more realistic rather than a year's time.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
akshayt said:
the radeon 9800pro was released about may 2003,but got reasonable after about 1 yr in india
Sorry abt that i wasn't talking abt India here mate. India, the purchasing power and taxes duties etc come into play and hence only cheap products rather than performance products do better here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom