what languages should i learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle_y2j

Youngling
Hey everyone, I m new to programming. I have dabbled in XHTML and CSS previously, for recreational uses, but recently decided to dive into programming as a career, and joined BCA and I am halfway through the WROX book "Web Programming with HTML, XHTML and CSS" and i want to know where to go next.

Which languages are more popular and more likely to be used by companies requesting services? What languages are looking promising for the future? What would be a good list of languages to learn? nd lastly wat languages are relative .....like after doing which languages i ll find other language easy?

TIA

nik_for_you

In the zone
there are mainly two ways right now .. java platform or .net platform .. you can choose any of this two as both are very interesting and have good future

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Start with C. It is the mother language. It will boost ur logical thinking a lot. Alternatively u can start with C++ also, but C is more simple and known 4 its simplicity.
If you learn C, c++ is not that big task.
Thean as nik says, u can go either for the java platform or the .net platform
Java is similar to c++ and is very famous for its platform independence.
While .net has very good WYSIWYG feature and is on the rise. Microsoft is promising great features in .Net

Even if u r going in the .net platform, give a hand o java
So, the summary
1. C
2. C++
3. Java
4. .NET (VB or C#)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
well man start with any alnguage u like ( i use c# ) and master it . if u do so , then learning other languages will be a peice of cake .

unless you're proficient in one language you can't even think about others .

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
eagle_y2j said:
I have dabbled in XHTML and CSS previously, for recreational uses, but recently decided to dive into programming as a career, and joined BCA and I am halfway through the WROX book "Web Programming with HTML, XHTML and CSS" and i want to know where to go next.

As you already are on track to the webworld you should concentrate on the current technologies. go with C# or Java . for get C and C++ as you will simply be learning the similar thing again and again . there is absolutely no nessaty that you should know C or C++ to learn C# or Java . You will simply be wasting you time by learning C then C++ and then advanced technologies.

There are many books for C# and JAVA for beginers with no prior programming experience.Get hold of one such book and start programming. donot go back . after you are comfortable with the basics then switch to advanced programming.

tuxfan

Technomancer
You are lucky :D Here's the tutorial for AJAX
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29134

For someone who has done XHTML and CSS, the right extension is PHP, MySQL and Apache (mod_rewrite, .htaccess, etc.). Know everything that you need to make dynamic web-sites or Web-Applications

After that start something for offline programming like C#, Java, VB, etc. However, if you are too keen on starting programming, start with VB. Its one of the simplest and will give you some satisfaction. You will not have to write 10 lines just to display a simple "Hello World" :D

Do you have your any fundas of logic, loops, variable, etc.? Or are you a complete newbie in programming?

nik_for_you

In the zone
thanx tuxfan .. you know my friend is working on ajax and i told him to tell me some thing but he ws busy so nw i dnt need him

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
whatever you learn, be the best in it before moving on to something else.

Remember, jack of all trades is a master of none.

Of course, you can become a master of all trades like tuxfan.(Thank me tuxfan. :Grin: )

OP
eagle_y2j

eagle_y2j

Youngling
@all thanks for all tis but I m doing BCA and I hav to give exam in second semester and there is C lang should now after Xhtml+Css I can start 'C'....

bazigaar_no_1

Broken In
Hi guys,
i am in the 12th grade and Java is a part of our Sylabus but I think the level is not that advanced. So, I am familiar to programming(loops, Variables, Algorithms, etc.). I also tried my hand at HTML. Now I am reading Let Us C and I want to learn C in detail before moving on to any other language. But I am just very curious about WYSIWYG Programming aka VB even though I don't have the slightest clue about .Net Platform... So Please can any of you suggest a good book/ebook regarding VB (Not VB.Net if it is different..)..

Thanks in Advance..

tuxfan

Technomancer
ilugd said:
Of course, you can become a master of all trades like tuxfan.(Thank me tuxfan. :Grin: )
:D Thank you ;)

eagle_y2j said:
@all thanks for all tis but I m doing BCA and I hav to give exam in second semester and there is C lang should now after Xhtml+Css I can start 'C'....
I think the right extension to XHTML / CSS is PHP, MySQL, Apache and Javascript. You know 2 web-technologies, know a few more and you will be able to make complete dynamic web-sites!!

Basics and syntax of C, Java, Javascript, PHP, etc. is very similar. So you lose nothing by learning C, but then you are branching out without completing something. Its like since now you drive the car upto 3rd gear, you start lerning a scooter. The right thing would be to learn car-driving completely and then see if you want to learn a scooter :D

bazigaar_no_1 said:
But I am just very curious about WYSIWYG Programming aka VB
VB is not WYSIWYG programming!! In other programming languages, you have to write code for 2 things:
1. Making a user interface
2. Processing

VB makes the first part easy. You have WYSIWYG editor for making the user interface. You still have to write a lot of code to control the behaviour of all the objects on the form (viz. command button, text box, drop down list, etc.) and also have to write the code for all the background processing! Of course the VB IDE (Integrated DEvelopment Environment) is pretty user friendly and makes the code writing easier. But its not a WYSIWYG programming!! You have to write code.

bazigaar_no_1

Broken In
I know you still have to do a lot of coding,
but the level of Java what we are taught, Making the programs user friendly is a far away thought. I mean dont even know about java.awt.* ... Get the picture?
So, I am very inclined towards programming in VB as many have told me that its easy yet powerful...
Please can you suggest some good book/ebook for the purpose..

tuxfan

Technomancer
I have learnt VB6. For that here are some books that I have.
1. Learn VB6 in 21 days
2. Learn More VB6 in 21 days
3. VB6 - How To
4. VB6 Database - How To

The last two are task oriented and bit advanced. Additionally, there are many VB forums.

In stead of Visual Studio .Net, I will always suggest Mono
Mono website said:
Mono provides the necessary software to develop and run .NET client and server applications on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows, and Unix. Sponsored by Novell (*www.novell.com), the Mono open source project has an active and enthusiastic contributing community and is positioned to become the leading choice for development of Linux applications.

Features

* Multi-platform
* Based on the ECMA/ISO standards
* Can run .NET, Java, Python and more.
* Open Source, Free Software.
* Commercially supported.
* Comprehensive technology coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom