what language do game programmers use

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey harshagarwal well a good question dude but i think u can get all ur answers on this site---->
www.programmersheaven.com

the programming is basically done using C/C++ (as far as i know) :)

but a lot of ppl want to make games so if u want to start like a novice game maker then check out this site---->
www.gamemaker.nl

and post ur replies here abt how u liked the site ! :)

cheers n peace...

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey ! Tux well first of all u r comfusing all of the ppl here as we cant find out to whom r u asking the question to, brother :? R u askin to me or to gamefreak14 ??

well if u want to ask question to any particular person then please insert the "@<username>" Example: @ashu888ashu888 and then u can ask querries dude. :) :p its just an advice so that the next time any one sees this topic, they will come to know to whom r u askin the questions :)

neways, for ur querry that u asked
And who create thosh languages

well the game programmers make the programs for such games and there r many other people involved in making the games apart from the game programmers, there r game designers, game artists and many more, take for example the SHREK movie :)

Iconoclast

Right off the assembly line
Many game programmers use c++ and vc++
Doom 3 major code was written in Vc++
OpenGl is also nice for game programmers
I have made many games in VB and PERL the 2 simplest languages in the world ;)

pallavnawani

Broken In
Iconoclast said:
Many game programmers use c++ and vc++
Doom 3 major code was written in Vc++
OpenGl is also nice for game programmers
I have made many games in VB and PERL the 2 simplest languages in the world ;)

Vc++ is NOT a language. It is the name of a IDE for C++.
People usually code games in C/C++. Btw, are your games available anywhere on the web, do you have a website? I would like to see your games!

Pallav

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Technically speaking, VC++ is just an IDE. But there has been so many developments and add-ons and tons of libraries added to it that pretty much the only thing it retained was the syntax of C++. The true power of VC++ is its libraries and other proprietary code, which regular old C++ cant even compare to. So, lets say I use VC++ and OpenGL in my program, which say looks something like this:

Code:
int CGLSample1View::OnCreate(LPCREATESTRUCT lpCreateStruct)
{
if (CView::OnCreate(lpCreateStruct) == -1)
return -1;
HWND hWnd = GetSafeHwnd();
HDC hDC = ::GetDC(hWnd);
if (SetWindowPixelFormat(hDC)==FALSE)
return 0;
return 0;
}

void CGLSample2View::OnSize(UINT nType, int cx, int cy)
{
CView::OnSize(nType, cx, cy);
GLsizei width, height;
GLdouble aspect;
width = cx;
height = cy;
if (cy==0)
aspect = (GLdouble)width;
else
aspect = (GLdouble)width/(GLdouble)height;
glViewport(0, 0, width, height);
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
gluOrtho2D(0.0, 500.0*aspect, 0.0, 500.0);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();
}

I cant even imagine how many thousands and thousands of lines of code I have to write in plain old C++ to create an effect that above simple code creates with inbuilt VC++ libraries in a few lines. While VC++ is *ALSO* an IDE, its become a de facto programming language now, using pretty much only the borrowed C++ syntax.

chaos

Broken In
You guys remember the Doom 3 trailer? If I remember correctly John Carmack was giving his interview sitting in front of his PC monitor in which Visual C++ was running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom