What kind of internet service do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
As internet user what kind of connection do you use? What kind of speed you are getting? How much is it cost? & what is best connection available in you place? What is the cheapest way to get connect in you place? How many connection you have used so far?

As for me, I use Reliance FWP. I do get around 8 kbps. In night it costs me Rs.0.25/min. In kolkata I think the cheapest way is get an AirTel GPRS connected mobile keep surfing for Rs.99/month but the speed is very bad. Fastest would be the DATA One of BSNL.

sailendra

Journeyman
Mine is a VSNL DSL connection. it used to be under dishnet until tata-vsnl accquired it. The speed is around 26 - 30K per second. The charges are 1000/- per month with 256Kbps connection.
I download stuff a lot - and the rate is justified. Happy with it :)

AlienTech

In the zone
I saw the new BSNL deal.. rs 500/month for 256K but only 1000MB per month usage.. I use around 100 MB a day just visiting web pages and stuff and no downloads. heck I used to do 3500 megs a day download with my modem and phone line a day. For rs1000 they give you 5000megs..heh! I think they want the email groupie for that kind of bandwidth. Because most normal people who would use broadband even if they are not downloading constantly would use up a lot more than 500/1000 megs a month. that 500 includes both UP and DOWN together.

Who they trying to kid??

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
:wink: :wink:
mine is cable net ... 750 for a month.. 128kbps....practically around 110kbps((checked frm mcafee speedometer speed tester
*us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/default.asp

.unlimited download/no time limit...!!

:wink: :wink:

will go for airtel broadband in sum time...!!

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
my great college gives me a 100Mbps LAN connection ..
:lol:
but ... i never got consistent online speeds more than 10-12Kbps :(
although .. inside LAN .. i've seen upto 6.7MBps ( note the capital B ) :)

-----
alibi

resident_alien

Right off the assembly line
I think i ve got the worst internet type here...
A paltry 56 kbps dial up....with download speeds of....nvr mind..i hardly download...

but i plan to indulge in BSNL shortly and evry one in my situation should follow suit cuz its the best way to move frwrd without burnin a real deep hole in yo wallet.
ciao

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
not realy resident_alien most of us use the same connection.... but u know BSNL or MTNL is going faster buy the day... athhough not fast as others but they r giving 5-6 kbps

NikhilVerma

Padawan
My frien'd father has a net connection of 10MBps at his office...
He gets average download speeds around 700-800 KBps...

Sadly he doesn't have a CD writer there.... :(

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
I wonder how fast the digits test labs connection is. In the jan mag’s digit diary there isn’t a clear indication, is there?

Hey, can anybody tell us, how much money an ISP makes from a customer? About there rates, are they justified?

using 512kb with tata

I am using tata broad band with access of 512 kbps and costing me for rs3500pm, i think if you are going for a good speed then no measurement for the value,its giving me the speed what i wanted,the best dsl connection i can get!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a connection from the local cablewallah .
The ISP is CDAC and the connection is maxed at 7-8 KBps .
I'm thinking of shifting to Airtel or BSNL.
Guys do you know that BSNL is not charging anything for the extra MB's u d/l till 30th June , 05' for all those subscribers who register before 31st March , 05'. I mean u could get 256Kbps or 512 Kbps connections w/out d/l restrictions , wuhu kick azz baby !!!! :twisted:

Oh yeah i pay my cablewallah 1100 bucks pm for the conn. its an unlimited one.

Guys please mention the average data tranfer you do in a month.

My average data transfer pm is around 20 gigs or so

but ... i never got consistent online speeds more than 10-12Kbps
although .. inside LAN .. i've seen upto 6.7MBps ( note the capital B )

Dude thts pretty damn slow for a 100 Mbps lan within a coll.

In my coll (100 Mbps) i have downloaded at speeds of 6 MBps (yups its true its megabytes and not megabits) from the internet (yes folks the internet) but tht was thru the admin access for the internet (one of my frnds knew the admin) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

In a 100 Mbps lan the data tranfer speeds within the lan can be extremely high if it is configured properly (tht is no packet losses and light load)

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
it doest matter wht is the transfer speed inside LAN ..
when u want to open a website .. all requests go through a single route ..

so download speeds of 7-8 kbps is more than enuf when u have more that 5000 computers sharing the same connection :)

-----
alibi

Not true my friend not exactly true
Suppose ur connected to a high speed connection thru a server ...
If there are too many packets lost to reach that server no matter how fast may be ur line u'll always have very high ping times tht is too many packet losses would ultimately lead to a slower connection.

Well if you got a 1 Mbps external line then its fine but wat if u got a 50 Mbps external line. Wouldn't u call it a waste if the lan couldn't handle such high speeds ( Figures truly imaginary).

so download speeds of 7-8 kbps is more than enuf when u have more that 5000 computers sharing the same connection
Are all the 5000 computers gettin' approx. 7-8 KBps ????
coz' if they are u my friend have an excellent coll. By the way are u from India coz' i don't think ne of the Indian colleges currently have more than 10Mbps lines.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
somewhere_i_belong said:
Not true my friend not exactly true
I was comparing a 1Mbps , 10Mbps and 100Mbps connections...
It wont bring any perceptible difference..

somewhere_i_belong said:
so download speeds of 7-8 kbps is more than enuf when u have more that 5000 computers sharing the same connection
Are all the 5000 computers gettin' approx. 7-8 KBps ????
coz' if they are u my friend have an excellent coll. By the way are u from India coz' i don't think ne of the Indian colleges currently have more than 10Mbps lines.
OF course not ...
@ the time i post this message .. i wasnt getting even 2kbps properly ..
it all depends on how many ppl are actually surfing @ this time !

-----
alibi

lol i thght so .....
Well anyone here use Airtel b'band .... howz the service/speed????
What are the average speeds u get ????
I'm thnkng of gettin' the Home 128 Plan in which there is no limit on the data transfer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom