What is wrong with the boot sector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
This is really a strange problem which is happening on my friend's PC. I don't know the perfect configuration, but I think only the hard disk part matters now. My friend had to reinstall Windows recently. Since this was a reinstall, GRUB was overwritten and I wanted to reinstall GRUB. This didn't happen as SuSE constantly kept showing that it couldn't install. I thought something had gone bad with the CDs, but it wasnt' as I had installed GRUB just 2 days back on my system with the same CD. Now, due to some problem, Windows had to be reinstalled (again :rolleyes: ) To our surprise, we find that the files deleted in the Recycle Bin is intact even after formatting (both quick and complete) While checking with the defragmanter, we saw that the files were not at all removed, but it showed contigous files. It even started defragmenting!!!! Doing a chkdsk also didn't show any bad sectors or bad files. I have reinstalled Windows 3 times and the same thing is happening. Once even deleting the primary partition!!!!! GRUB is also not being written to the MBR due this problem. What exactly is the problem and how to fix it?

praka123

left this forum longback
If ur Master Boot Record is got problem,U can try installing grub on /boot partn(boot sector of the partn).make sure MBR is not available.may be make the /boot partn active.
Installing GRUB natively
*www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Installing-GRUB-natively.html

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

@Praka- Yeah, that is an alternative, but I want a complete fix to this problem so that Windows doesn't act up as well. I'll check that link. Thanks. Anymore suggestion guys?:confused:

praka123

left this forum longback
there is something u can do if u got a backup is -low level formatting may be it will resolve?

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Backup is the problem. She's got GBs of data to backup. After that, low level format. I really hope it will fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom