What is the use of 1080p display

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Go home, you're drunk. Just kidding.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1080P displays are very much the necessity of a 15' or higher displays because the screen looks pixelated at that size.
One can notice the individual pixels easily.

And the lower the screen resolution is the higher the results will be when performing a Graphic oriented test onscreen.

The only reason one should have 720p screen would be if your notebook can't throw that crunching power using its GPU , but you intend to play high end games without lowering native resolution.

O/w in majority of other aspects it's a win win for laptops.
For smartphones ( not those effing tablets) .... a 1080p resolution is generally more of a luxury and novelty rather than being something worthy of actual use. The drawbacks are more than benefits.
its a fact i have laptops with both types of screens only movies and maybe the zoom levels while reading are different
the human eye doesnt really catch 1080p resolution on 15'' screens
on a 17'' and above screen yes 1080p makes a difference

Hrishi

its a fact i have laptops with both types of screens only movies and maybe the zoom levels while reading are different
the human eye doesnt really catch 1080p resolution on 15'' screens
on a 17'' and above screen yes 1080p makes a difference

It does actually. The difference is noticeable even in a 900p screen.

The crispness of screen is quite easy to distinguish.
The 768p looks good on a 10' maybe , but not on 15" that for sure.

I have had 11" , 14” , 15” laptops and 20” screens. The difference between 15" and 11" are noticeable quite easily. And The more poor quality display it is the more difference you will notice .

Its like saying a 4" phone with 320x240 pixels feels same as another 4" phone with 640x480 pixels.
But its not same , neither it feels that way.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Little Oftopic question here.
Consider two scenarios
* a game played with 720p res on a 720p display.
* same game played with 720p res on 1080p display.

Which would look better? And why?

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
720 on 720 cause there will be pixelation on the 1080 screen as the image will be upscaled

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Bullshit!! Even in laptops very rare are the times u will feel the need for a 1080p display
I've got a lot of laptops at home and only 2 have full hd displays and no one can see the difference between 1080p and 720p unless ur using some very gpu intensive program
Ohh and the laptops I compared are a HP DV6 3rd gen i7 1080p and a inspiron 15R turbo i5 720p

Counter Bullshit.. Laptops 15Inch + ~60k need a 1080p display
and to clear things up, 2 laptops having 15 inch screen but 720p in one and 1080p in another will have a big difference in gaming, browsing and general tasks
But playing a 720p movie on both will feel EXACTLY the same, no pixellation on the 1080p display.. EXACTLY the same as long as they have the same size

720 on 720 cause there will be pixelation on the 1080 screen as the image will be upscaled

This is wrong, as long as both the displays are of the same size and make.. the image will appear exactly same..
Remember, for a 15 incher, each pixel for 720p display will be bigger whereas for 1080p display, its smaller..
When the video is played in fullscreen, upscaled pixels for 1080p will look exactly the same as (already upscaled) bigger pixels for 720p display

Hrishi

Little Oftopic question here.
Consider two scenarios
* a game played with 720p res on a 720p display.
* same game played with 720p res on 1080p display.

Which would look better? And why?

720 on 720 will look better when gaming. Reducing the native resolution will look bad.
This is true fact and those who challenge it can go and test it themselves. I am not going to argue on this.

Hrishi

Counter Bullshit.. Laptops 15Inch + ~60k need a 1080p display
and to clear things up, 2 laptops having 15 inch screen but 720p in one and 1080p in another will have a big difference in gaming, browsing and general tasks
But playing a 720p movie on both will feel EXACTLY the same, no pixellation on the 1080p display.. EXACTLY the same as long as they have the same size

This is wrong, as long as both the displays are of the same size and make.. the image will appear exactly same..
Remember, for a 15 incher, each pixel for 720p display will be bigger whereas for 1080p display, its smaller..
When the video is played in fullscreen, upscaled pixels for 1080p will look exactly the same as (already upscaled) bigger pixels for 720p display

Appear Exactly the same while gaming ?? Noo.... they are physical pixels .

aniket.cain

Padawan
I have a 720p display (laptop) which is connected to a monitor (1080p). 720p video obviously looks sharper on the laptop. No way an upscaled pixel will look exactly same.

EDIT : Sorry, did not consider the screen size when posting.

Top Bottom