What is the latest FPS game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bukaida

In the zone
I have a p4 2.4 GHz machine with 512MB RAM and Gforce 5200fx 128MB
graphics card.What is the latest FPS game THat I can play smoothly with this configuration.I have win2000 with SP4.

venkat1605

Broken In
U can play these games

Boiling Point - Road To Hell
Call Of Duty 2
Brothers In Arms - Earned In Blood
Serious Sam II

Well u can play all these games under medium settings

deadman.dinesh

Right off the assembly line
well I think u can also play games like half-life 2 , doom 3, halo2, far cry & others,but under medium graphics.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
deadman.dinesh said:
well I think u can also play games like half-life 2 , doom 3, halo2, far cry & others,but under medium graphics.

Halo 2 ???? :shock: when did that come out for the PC ??? Geez dude pls dont provide wrong information. Doom3 and HL2 and others will work under very low settings if your lucky.

venkat1605

Broken In
Hey ICECOOLZ there's no very low settings in Doom 3 & Half-Life 2.I have seen Half Life 2 play comfortably on my friend's PC , he has a FX 5200 & Doom 3 medium settings will be cozier on it alright.First know then bluff.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Boiling Point - Road To Hell
Call Of Duty 2
Brothers In Arms - Earned In Blood
Serious Sam II

p4 2.4 GHz machine with 512MB RAM and Gforce 5200fx 128MB graphics card

The mentioned games are latest alright ... but the hardware isn't ... and it'll be very hard to run these on the above mentioned hardware ....

vmp_vivek

In the zone
Deathvirus is correct. If you want to play the latest games smoothly as you mentioned, then you should have atleast Geforce 6 series or ATi 9500 or more series graphics card to play. :)

raj14

In Deniel
well i own a FX5200 with a 2.66GHz P4, and Call of Duty 2 (Demo) Runs Great, Serious Sam II Doesn't and it chokes even on 640x480! as for BiA:EnB It should be playable at 800x600 seeing GearBox haven't changed Engine like hell. time for an Upgrade! :mrgreen:

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
well i own a FX5200 with a 2.66GHz P4, and Call of Duty 2 (Demo) Runs Great

That depend on how u define "great" ... i hope ur talking about CoD 2 and CoD : United offensive .... coz the released demo is highly unoptimised ... it chokes even high end rigs at high settings .....

as for BiA:EnB It should be playable at 800x600

Yup ... it'll run pretty fine ....... and since the engine has been optimised more ... it should run even better than the original title .....

i have a p4 1.7 (overclocked to 1.75) with fx5200 and serious sam works fine even in 800x600

Serious Sam II ???? or Serious Sam ????

Boiling Point : Road to Hell will not run on an FX5200 unless u consider 15 fps good enough ....

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
venkat1605 said:
Hey ICECOOLZ there's no very low settings in Doom 3 & Half-Life 2.I have seen Half Life 2 play comfortably on my friend's PC , he has a FX 5200 & Doom 3 medium settings will be cozier on it alright.First know then bluff.

So play confortably with AA and everything turned on ? On which resoultion ? Come on man. FX5200 is a DX8 based card. Ur defenitely not gonna get water reflections in HL2 unless you know what to mod to get the water reflections. Oh and I know what I am talking abt. Perhaps u should do some research b4 talkin...Do u even know what AA is ? sheesh... script kiddies... :roll:

The world over acknowledges that the 5200 sucks and you say this...lol... I really dont know what to say....

raj14

In Deniel
hey Ice, FX5200 is a Direct X 9 card mate, it supports Direct X 9.0b, yes, while it seem Source is running with AA and AAF, the truth is it's just a hoak, it pretends to be running wit AA, but in reality it doesn't.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
oops! My bad. I got mixed up with MX and the FX series :D Actually what I meant to say was that since HL2 is tied up with ATi it runs most nvidia cards (esp the 5series) with the DX set to 8.1 Unless you know which hacks to do you wont get DX9 on HL2 with a 5 series card.

And what do you mean by AA and AAF being a hoax ???? Care to tell us what your source of infromation is ??? I couldnt understand what you mean by "pretending" to. Anyways more info would be helpful :)

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
i Run CoD 2 at 800x600 2x AA, and the FPS was fine.

CoD 2 or CoD United Offensive ??? ur config plz. ....

FX5200 is a Direct X 9 card mate, it supports Direct X 9.0b, yes, while it seem Source is running with AA and AAF, the truth is it's just a hoak, it pretends to be running wit AA, but in reality it doesn't.

And that's a shame .... the early FX series were extremely poor at handling dx9.0b shaders i.e. sm2.0 ... HL2 runs at dx8.1 mode ... but trust me ... dx8.1 mode on the 6 series look a lot different from what i saw on the FX .....

raj14

In Deniel
Penitum 4 2.66GHz "Northwood", 640MB Ram, XFX GeForce FX5200. i was talking about CoD2, Serious Sam II was giving really poor frame rates, even on 640x480, despite Serious Engine being spectacular, it's highly unoptimized. actually, there isa Command, which let's you run HL2 in DX9 Mode, you have to modified the shortcut, i didn't tried it, since the game already plays smooth on FX5200.
@icecoolz: The GeForce FX cards default to the DirectX 8.1 rendering path, which runs faster but with fewer visual details. Specifically, there is bump mapping on fewer objects, detail objects are not drawn out to as far a distance, shadows aren't as soft, and water isn't as realistic, this the nasty trick Source Engine performs, so unless some one owns, a High End Graphics card, like X800XT or GeForce 6800x Half Life 2 will run in DX8, unless it'sa ATI Radeon Cardoffcourse, i remember seeing Half Life 2 OEM Ads with 9600XT! it's unfair, but what can gamers, do :eek: on the other hand, you could just try running them in DX9 and expirence a incredible performance hit :) or a better solution, just buy a new High end graphics card! :D

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
Cool down gentlemen....

first and foremost...The OS makes a huge difference...I don't see anyone talking about what OSes are being used.... Rule of Thumb... ME/98 gives almost 30-50% increased frame rates over XP on any given config... also fx series cards are DX9 but have very poor DX9 implementation so HL2 is set to default to dx8.1 mode on those cards. for example...a 6200 gives almost 75-90% of the FPS of a 5900XT in DX9 PS tests but in DX8.1 is less than 1/4th as fast.

raj14

In Deniel
It's obvious, XP is a resource hog, if we follow this rule, then, Open Source OSes, Like Suse, will obviously offer a performance boost, since it doesn'r run zillion services like XP Does, that's why every Pc Gamer should createDiffrent hardware profiles for gaming. :)

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Penitum 4 2.66GHz "Northwood", 640MB Ram, XFX GeForce FX5200

The released demo is quite unoptimised ... nice to know it runs on your rig .... also if the rumours are correct then the final game should have a software+hardware mode for older hardware .....

there isa Command, which let's you run HL2 in DX9 Mode, you have to modified the shortcut, i didn't tried it, since the game already plays smooth on FX5200.

mat_dxlevel 90c (type in the console)

ME/98 gives almost 30-50% increased frame rates over XP on any given config

Then why does most of the newer games requires atleast XP/2000 to run ????? even when according to you u get so much better performance on older os'es like 98SE/ME ???? wake up dude .... only because XP chokes a pc with 128MB ram when u run a game doesn't mean 98SE is faster ..... wake up dude .....

that's why every Pc Gamer should createDiffrent hardware profiles for gaming.

Finally a talk of some intelligence ....

venkat1605

Broken In
Hey Icecoolz,I used to own a FX 5200 myself 11 months ago,now i have a X850XT PE(256 MB) because my brother works in ATI.I can assure HL2 runs smooth on FX5200,since there r no changes in the engine of BIA:EnB it will go okay in 800x600.Boiling Point I agree 15 FPS,but it surely does play.And one more thing i know what AA & AF means.My brother works for ATI technologies,i get a lot info from him something which even u dont know.I am sorry for being too harsh on u.Good Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom