What is the differemce between Standby & Hibernate

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolsarode

Broken In
Standy makes your computer to stop working but you cannot turn off the power supply else you will lose your unsaved data.
While Hibernate saves all the running programs in a file and after hibernating the computer you can safely put off the power supply.
So Bharat you can make out the difference between them.
BYE.

OP
bharat_r

bharat_r

In the zone
Thanks for the info guys,

But Hibernate sounds stupid.I can shut down my comp rather than hibernate.

Now I'm going to ask what is the difference between hibernate & shut down.

bharathbala2003

why need title?
@bharat hibernate is usefull.. u c i had a dual boot once with XP and 98 and i had to wait to get to xp after all those loadings.. then after enterin the pass i need to wait for the startup to load.. which all is time consuming.. where as hibernate is cool.. u hibernate the comp with a webpage like say IE is open with ya Y! inbox as soon as u restore ur taken back to ya inbox no hassles..

godsownman

Padawan
The time taken to shutdown the computer and restart it is more than the time taken to restart it from Hibernation.

What happens when we shutdown is that the data that is stored in the RAM is cleared or deleted.

On the contrary when you give a command of hibernating the computer all the data in the RAM is saved on the HDD and when we restart the computer all the data that was previously saved to the HDD is reloaded in the RAM.

So what happens is that the computer restarts after a shutdown in the same position and with the same files that you had kept open before you hibernated the computer.

Hope you understood.

Regards

OP
bharat_r

bharat_r

In the zone
But it's completely opposite for me.I tried hibernation with a webpage open & when I switched on the comp after 2 hrs ,I waited for more than 20 minutes,but windows didn't start.

I had to reset the power to start windows.

Does hibernation take that much time to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom