What is OEM product and Boxed product

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
In the November issue of Digit Agent 001 tells that Sony DVD-Writer DRU-820A is available on 2 types one that retails for some 2700+ which is Sony Boxed product and the other that retails for some 2200+ which is a loose Sony OEM product. I purchased Sony DRU-820A DVD-Writer a week ago for 2200/-. This is very neatly packed in a box and I got a Nero CD and Manuals with it as well. So now my questions is : is this OEM or Boxed product and what the hell do these terms mean and which one is good ????

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
jamesbond007 said:
In the November issue of Digit Agent 001 tells that Sony DVD-Writer DRU-820A is available on 2 types one that retails for some 2700+ which is Sony Boxed product and the other that retails for some 2200+ which is a loose Sony OEM product. I purchased Sony DRU-820A DVD-Writer a week ago for 2200/-. This is very neatly packed in a box and I got a Nero CD and Manuals with it as well. So now my questions is : is this OEM or Boxed product and what the hell do these terms mean and which one is good ????

An Original Equipment Manufacturer ("OEM") is a company that builds products or components which are used in products sold by another company.

Boxed Product is that of which components are used made by company itself.

So Boxed Product are usually costlier than OEM.....;)

Obviously Boxed product r good...as all parts used be made by company itself and will have some level of QUALITY...

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
BOX product is always good...as explained by wizrulz ;)

Even i had the same doubt moths ago...and i asked my dealer....(Regarding SONY DVD Writter)
He said in OEM product we dont give the IDE Cable, the changeable front pannel...ie white or black....also the box is not sealed...;)....and the warranty on this is given by them...not from SONY..

While in Box you do get all the advantages of this

OP
jamesbond007

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I did not get IDE Cable. All I got was DVD-Writer DRU-820A, Manual, Quick Installation Guide, Changeable Front Panel and a Software CD which has Nero Suite.
I got it from you guys what OEM and Boxed is but I am still not sure if the DVD-Writer that I got is OEM or Boxed ?? Agent 001 said that a loose OEM product is available in the market which retails around for some 2350/- while the boxed one retails for 2750/- So since I purchased it for 2200/- does that mean that I got an OEM ?? One more thing is do both OEM and Boxed products carry the same model name in my case DRU-820A?? And lastly do I really need to be concerned about it at all ??

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes they Carry the same name.......You shldnt concern about it now...Cuz you already bought it...It was a different thing if this quetion was asked before purchasing.....And please dont let your morale down...there shldnt be anythig wrong with the drive..Its only that you might get lesser accessories with false warranty

Did you opened the seal...or was it pre opened....
If it was pre opened then sure its OEM....

BOXXED PACKAGE CONTENTS:
Internal DRU-820A Double/Dual Layer DVD drive
Ahead NeroVision Express™ DVD video editing & authoring software
Ahead Nero™ Burning ROM SE/ExpressCD/DVD mastering software
Ahead InCD™ drive letter recording software
Ahead Nero™ Showtime™ soft DVD player software
Ahead Nero™ BackitUp™ backup software
Black front panel replacement kit
ATAPI cable and mounting hardware
User’s Manual

OP
jamesbond007

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I purchased it on November 25. The guy showed me the DVD-Writer and I am not too sure if he opened the seal or there was no seal at all. However thanx for your replies guys. I don't think I should be having any problems with it even if its OEM. I have the bill with me so if you guys think I really need to go and get it replaced then please let me know. Thanx

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
If money is not problem and if shopkeeper is ready to replace it ..do it...

Else this OEM will also serve u good.....

Only when it gives problem...it will not be companies resposibilty it will shopkeepers to get it replaced...but u can clarify this by asking the shopkeeper abt the warranty thing....

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
Well i beg to differ ..

OEM product is a product to be sold to other companies for using it in their systems

eg.. If I am an assembler and I sell my computers with my brandname. Then I'll purchase OEM Sony DVD-writer coz it doesn't say 'SONY' on the front panel.
The cost of OEM model is lower coz the buyer is assumed to be a retailer, who needs to make some profit. Also the assembler don't need all that IDE cables, screws coz they buy them in bulk. All they care about is the lower cost for genuine product.

On the other hand the end user seeks for the accessories provided. So the pacagking is attractive, contains manuals, guarranty card, cables etc.
eg If an end user has to buy screws, IDE cable and the DVD writer from different shops, then he will automatically look for a company that gives it all bundled, so what if he has to pay a little extra.

I think u got my point.
Dealers tell that Box packed r better coz they have a larger profit margin with that. Also a new customer will trust him if he tries to sell an attractively packed product.

I always look for OEM models.

OP
jamesbond007

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
Man you have give and exact opposite view on it. I think you definitely have a point. I totally understood both the views on OEM and Boxed products, but the point is which take is genuine?? I am waiting for some other members to respond on it....

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
Well...Since this topic was started for SONY WRITTER...
keeping it on mind i telling whats i truth...

Firstly the "OEM" termed used over here is totally wrong....

OEM = Original Equipement Manufacturer

which means

If a company makes a computer, then that company can buy the Microsoft Windows( for eg. XP) , so it becomes integrated into the product that the company gives. That means that when the company buy Windows for their product for resale, Company assumes all responsibilities of the XP too.

So when any customers complain to them about Windows XP, they got to fix it and make it right. If consumers contact Microsoft about the problem, they would have to pay for service. So they should deal with company directly, since they are given that product from the Original Equipment Manufacturer ( ie Microsoft)

So trully speaking OEM word over here shldnt be used....
But the dealers have started that crap....
The terminologies shld be Boxxed Pack or Open Pack( not literally)...as in the case of mobiles....Seal packed or unsealed
I mine even in unsealed pack you always do get the box(cover)... =))

@ ashnik

So i disagree you if this was the case....i mean DVD writter or mobile or hardware related.....

But if thats software related....then sure with you...cuz that really decreases the budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom