what is iso ? can I download Linux on windows ? help

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.dg

Right off the assembly line
I am new to linux . I am currently using windows . I know that Linux is free for download and I can download it from Mirror-servers and it will come as an iso form . what is ISO ? can I download it in (using) windows and then write it to CD ?

plz help

OP
A

a.dg

what type of file is ISO? is it something in compresssed form ?like rar or zip? :roll:

OP
A

a.dg

I have downloaded an iso .....BUT IT IS SHOWING AS AN WINRAR FILE now what to do?

rachitar

Journeyman
a.dg said:
I have downloaded an iso .....BUT IT IS SHOWING AS AN WINRAR FILE now what to do?

Does the file name end as .iso.rar
If it does you will have to use Winrar to uncompress it
The product will be the .iso file which you can burn onto the disc and install from

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
a.dg said:
dont be so scared yaar !!
winrar can open a lot of extensions others than .rar, .iso being one of them
the file you've got must be an .iso file only

ISO files are disk images. ie. they have the data to be stored in CD in the exact format as it's stored in CD. So you dont need to care about which file/folder you should burn. Just burn the iso, it has everything properly arranged .. all files and folders neatly aligned.

You can see the content inside a ISO file using Winrar or other such utilities like WinISO or UltraISO which also allow you to create ISO

To burn the ISO, go to Nero and select "Burn Image to Disk". In the dialogue box which comes .. select ".iso" filetype (usually .nrg is preselected) and select your file to burn to disk.

-----
alibi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom