Not open for further replies.

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
usually when i forcefully end task any application there be a file named
"dumprep.exe" on my windows whats it i wanna know

do anyone knows it

readermaniax

Ambassador of Buzz
Dumprep.exe is a Microsoft process that runs when a program has a critical error and cannot be restored. Basically it comes with XP/PRO. It's a non-essential program but I'm not sure how to stop it from running. I would search microsoft.com until you find information on it or a simple google.com search might yield better results.

It's not a virus or anything although spyware can assume the same name as this Microsoft software (as with any process, spy ware can "mask" itself as a legitimate OS software). You can run Search and Destroy, CW Shredder, Hijack This and a slew of other free utilities to get rid of spy ware on your system if you suspect you have it. Hijack This is the best tool (do a search in google and it will come up) HOWEVER it is a very complicated program and should only be used with extreme caution. I'll say this once, LOOK UP EVERYTHING that Hijack This brings up on your system with a google or Yahoo search before clicking remove as it brings up essential programs that you need to run your system as well as spyware threats.

Okay, that being said, a better description of dumprep.exe that you would recognize are those annoying messages that ask you to send data to Microsoft when a program crashes. It either asks you to ignore the error or send data to Microsoft. I always choose to ignore the message instead of sending it to Microsoft. One, because I'm paranoid and I don't want Microsoft to know what programs I'm running (not because there is anything top secret on my system, I just don't like big business knowing my business) and secondly because when you send the data to microsoft it builds a file that is stored on your system. Eventually the file becomes very large and you have to go through all this hooha to delete. It's just annoying.

I wouldn't worry about the dumprep.exe process too much but you should run spyware blockers and at least run Search & Destroy on your system just to eliminate the possibility of spyware.

anandk

Distinguished Member
i think that in a hurry, he forgot to post the link : *forum.theispguide.com/isp-ftopic3622.html

OP
piyush gupta

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
Thanx a lot

do this file be infected by W32 series of viruses

what happen to my PC coz there are a no. of copies of

SVCHOST.EXE

running simeltenously on my PC

minimum 5 at a time max i faced 11

hailgautam

Youngling
From my observation I came to see that when you forcefully end an application, dumprep.exe is activated and it tries to recover the word document and excel workbook are tried to salvage and then the usual report error to Microsoft message appears. If your application seriously hangs and does not end, I usually end the dumprep.exe process and the application terminates quickly and no report error to Microsoft message appears.

our resident gurus may be able to throw some more light on it i suppose.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
piyush619, its completely normal to have multiple instances of svchost.exe file running on ur pc. It acts as a host for a number of services as the name suggests.

I used to have problems with dumprep.exe. I just removed it from my Startup list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom