What, in your opinion, ought to be a good configuration for a programming-only dual-monitor setup?

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
I'm asking this out of curiosity, since a good percentage of the people here are from a IT background. What do you guys feel ought to be a good setup for a programming-only PC? No gaming requirements.
I'm adding dual-monitors as a condition, since it seems to be popular opinion that the increased real estate boosts programming productivity.

I don't want to attach any budget restriction to this question. Obviously more cash = better hardware, but let's try to hit a sweet spot - nothing too cheap, and nothing overboard.

Of course, you could say that different kinds of programming demand different 'ideal' configurations, and you'd be right. eg. running VMs and stuff would need more RAM perhaps, or pure graphics programming would place more importance on the graphics card etc. etc.

So I guess in answering this thread, you could post just what you feel ought to be ideal for programming in general, OR you could mention a configuration for a specific kind of programming.

I know this question seems a bit vague, but I'd love to read all your thoughts on this.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Re: What, in your opinion, ought to be a good configuration for a programming-only dual-monitor setu

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

OP
S

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
Re: What, in your opinion, ought to be a good configuration for a programming-only dual-monitor setu

As I mentioned in my first post, this question isn't for any specific purchase. It is meant to be a general discussion or even a poll, if you want to think of it that way. I posted it in this section instead of the Lounge since it still deals with PC components and configs.
Did the question end up being too general? :/

Even the cheapest of todays PC can handle the job of compilation and execution. Linux makes things even better.

mastermunj

In the zone

PC config again depends on what kind of programming tools you're gonna use and how many of those in parallel?
For example, if you're gonna be working on MySQL intensively, more RAM might help. Now add Apache & PHP / JSP setup to it with multiple concurrent request test, you will need good CPU too.

In general, considering its going to be medium utilization at any point of time, i3 / i5 based system with 4-8GB RAM & a GPU with 1GB RAM supporting dual DVI or DIV-VGA for Dual Monitor with resolution favoring to your taste would do.

Budget could be anywhere between 30K to 45K for such system.

Top Bottom