What exactly is EDGE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipen01

Youngling
Hey..

AM in doubt since long time... well am plannin to get a cell soon..and one of my friends suggested me to go for Cell havin EDGE...

But is this EDGE attribute of CELL or this is very much dependent on Provider also (Airtel,IDea,BSNL)... coz it shouldnt happen that..ill purchase CLASS 10 Edge Cell and the providers provide only GPRS and not EDGE..in that the very purpose of EDGE will be gone..!!

or is EDGE a high tech GPRS..i mean sucessor of GPRS...and Provider has nothing to do with it... that means the rates [i.e Airtel GPRS - 5Rs/day (Pune) ] will be same for both GPRS and EDGE but the cell having EDGE will be getting good speed as compared to GPRS..bcoz of its technology...

Damn am confused over it.!!

Can any one Enlighten.!!!

Thanx..
Dipen

knight17

In the zone
(Enhanced Data rates for Global Evolution) An enhancement to the GSM and TDMA digital cellular phone systems that provides data transmission up to 384 Kbps. Like cellphones in general, the EDGE service is more ubiquitous for mobile users than searching for Wi-Fi hotspots; however, data rates are much lower than Wi-Fi. To obtain the service, you have to add an EDGE modem to your laptop and sign up with a cellular phone provider that provides it such as Cingular Wireless. See UWC-136, Wi-Fi, GSM and

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
@dipen.... in an EDGE cell the speed is greater then a non EDGE cell.. even if u r using GPRS only....

OP
Dipen01

Dipen01

Youngling
@pathik..:- that was very encouraging...:p hehe..

btw @knight..:- well i use Desktop PC...so what do u think...even ill need EDGE modem or what..??

OP
Dipen01

Dipen01

Youngling
thats what i wasnt sure abt...that will i need both...i mean EDGE cell and modem..or one is suffice...ofcourse will go with EDGE handset,,

mrao

Broken In
An edge enabled handset is capable of functioning as a modem too.So there is no need for a separate modem. Just make sure your network provides edge service too.

Pathik

Google Bot
arey i use my NGAGE QD... (no edge class 6 gprs) as a modem using a BT DUN connection... in 6630 the speed is too good...

OP
Dipen01

Dipen01

Youngling
yup...

i have got great reviews off 6630... even my close frend has it...and i even used it for couple of days...

it just that i dont like it..its so bulky...and ..infact ...the only cell i like rite now K750i and Samsung D 820...

the previous one has no GPRS and later is too costly for me rite now..(14K)..

well 6230i was simple..though not attractive...but... as pathik said its S 40... so not many application wuld be there...

lets see i have to decide by 1st week of august..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom