weird mouse does not sleep.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
i upgraded a computer by changing the cabinet(cpu,ram,motherboard.....) and a monitor. the mouse, keyboard and ups are still the same. the weird problem is that even when the computer is off the mouse(its optical) has its light on. even weirder is that even when the ups is switched off the mouse still has its light on and so does the monitor! i double checked connections with the ups several times .........its an old one so im sure about its connections. is there some sort of leakage current . what steps do i take to troubleshoot this problem.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Is it a wireless keyboard / mouse combo? Because if it is, then the batteries will continue to power the mouse even if you switch the computer off.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
- try resetting ur bios
- think it has to do with acpi settings in your bios , fiddle around with it to see if it changes anything .

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Does the light flicker only for a short duration after ups switch off ? if so its ok just the capacitors powering the system. But if it persists then this is a case where the live and neutral of the ups have been wired incorrectly The light blinks because the computer is getting a voltage between the earth and the live wire(actually should be neutral) Try to swap the live and neutral wires at the ups plug connecting to the mains and see the effect.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
How would resetting the BIOS fix this? He claims that the mouse works even when the computer is switched off. I would strongly suggest getting the UPS checked. I had the same problem with my APC UPS once and it turned out to be a fault with the UPS wherein it was allowing the power to go through even when the UPS itself was turned off. Also get a good electrician and check for leakage current. Its definitely not a computer issue if you can get power to the monitor and the mouse when the UPS is turned off. Try turning the computer itself on when the UPS is off and see what happens. If it does, little red flags should go up all around you and unplug the UPS from the mains and the computer first thing and get it checked.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
most computers now use acpi and some other settings in the bios to keep the pc in different states other than complete power off . u got s1 s3 , etc where in u can use particular devices to bring the system back from a sleep / stand by mode . this isnt particular to windows , but for the m/b . hence the devices must have power to be able to use this option . this could be the reason for the mouse acting strange . hence resetting the bios .

anyways , i think running the pc without the ups will actually be more helpful in trying to pinpoint the error .

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
I know how ACPI works, but when you switch off the UPS, there's no way power should be transferred to the computer, unless you're running an enterprise UPS that supports turning itself on to a request. Unless there's a leak, I don't see how the mouse should work when the UPS is switched off.

Tech&ME

Banned
this is nothing to do with your computer, your UPS or the MAIN switch board has the terminals incorrectly done with. To get around this issue do the following.

Step 1: If you have a UPS which has all plastic covering, u will not know the problem. It seems your UPS in BODYED out. Which simply means the body of the UPS is getting the currect which is in turn suppling current to your computer.

Step 2: Disconnet the UPS from the computer and take an tester (screw driver with tester in it )

Step 3:Keeping the computer Disconnected from the UPS, Now switch on the UPS Switch on your Wall Switch board, put the Screw driver in the iron part of the UPS if it glows, there is a leak of current on to the body of the UPS, if this does not glows the light of the tester, go to step 4.

Step 4: Repeat step 3 but this time also switch on the UPS (with out computer attached to it) and see if the tester glows. If yes, go to step 5

Step 5: Take the UPS to an expert UPS technician to fix the problem.

Method II

There could also be a leak inthe Wall Socket itself, call an expert electrician to check and rectify it.

Hope this will slove your wierd problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom