Weird hard drive issue

setanjan123

In the zone
Guys I recently upgraded my rig. As you can see in my signature I am running a caviar green and a Seagate 160gb hard drive. Now the issue is when I first boot my pc all the drives are visible in my computer. After using for some time the drives belonging to the Seagate hdd just disappear. The only way to get them back is a hard reboot. By that I mean turning off the pc and then starting it again because a normal reboot doesn't fix it. In fact in one case the hard drive had just disappeared from the bios too. I haven't checked in the bios again so I don't know if it has happened again but the drives do disappear every time I use my computer. The drives are empty but I have unchecked the hide empty drives option in win7 so that shouldn't be the issue. Help please

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could be a PSU issue / Loose cable connection or faulty ports / failing HDD.

1. Remove the WD HDD. Connect only the seagate HDD to the motherbaord [ use a different sata port and cable ].
2. Connect another sata cable from PSU to the HDD.
3. Run seagate seatools [ bootable DOS version ] from CD.
4. See if you can find any error [ run the long test ].
5. Check your PSUs +12v volt load. Use some heavy games and monitor the +12v using HWinfo software and post here.

DK_WD

WD Official
Hello setanjan,

As per topgear update, I agree with him, It could be some more possible reason for the issue like Hardware faulty, compatibility, MOBO connector issue, cable issue and BIOS settings . To the confirm the problem, please follow the following steps.

Option 1:

Check the power management in Windows or the BIOS menu as well to see what all options are on and which ones are off.

Option 2:

Try to use different Port on same Mobo.
Try to use different cable.
Try to use a HDD on another computer.
Try a different disk to make sure that the problem is with the Port and not with the original disk.

Hope it Helps.

OP
setanjan123

setanjan123

In the zone
Hello setanjan,

As per topgear update, I agree with him, It could be some more possible reason for the issue like Hardware faulty, compatibility, MOBO connector issue, cable issue and BIOS settings . To the confirm the problem, please follow the following steps.

Option 1:

Check the power management in Windows or the BIOS menu as well to see what all options are on and which ones are off.

Option 2:

Try to use different Port on same Mobo.
Try to use different cable.
Try to use a HDD on another computer.
Try a different disk to make sure that the problem is with the Port and not with the original disk.

Hope it Helps.
It probably is a compatibility issue I think. I am not getting the time to check. But when I will check I will report it here.

Top Bottom