WD My Passport problem

dikart4

Broken In
Hello guys,

I had ordered WD My passport 1 TB external hard disk from flipkart and received it today.But the IMEI/Serial No on invoice is different from the Serial No that is printed on the product box.

Also there is some tik tik sound coming from the hdd when it is not in use(as if a screw is out of its grew and moving in the vacant space whenever I move it to and fro)

Product has a 30 day replacement guarantee from the seller an d I am concerned about this Serial No issue as it may be of some problem in claiming warranty.What to do?

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
Thanks for ur suggestion Zangetsu, called flipkart cc on 26th july and got a brand new replacement today:)

My system config is
Core i5 3470, Gigabyte B75MD3H, Corsair vengeance 1600 Mhz, WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX, CX430V2, HD 7750,Antec one S3 USB 3 cabinet and I am getting 27 MBps data transfer rate(both in front and rear usb 3.0 ports) when I am copying video files of ~1 GB size.Is it good enough speed coz I was expecting somewhat 70-75 MBps. Infact I got that speed with my friend's WD my passport drive when I had bought my pc 3 months back.Recently cleaned my pc removing all components from cabinet and reassembled it,Is there anything that I have to check in my cabinet?

I'm dissappointed with this usb 3.0 speed.I was getting 10MBps speed in usb 2.0 itself and I want to know what factors affect the usb 3.0 data transfer speed?Can somebody plz guide me on this issue.

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks for ur suggestion Zangetsu, called flipkart cc on 26th july and got a brand new replacement today:)

My system config is
Core i5 3470, Gigabyte B75MD3H, Corsair vengeance 1600 Mhz, WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX, CX430V2, HD 7750,Antec one S3 USB 3 cabinet and I am getting 27 MBps data transfer rate(both in front and rear usb 3.0 ports) when I am copying video files of ~1 GB size.Is it good enough speed coz I was expecting somewhat 70-75 MBps. Infact I got that speed with my friend's WD my passport drive when I had bought my pc 3 months back.Recently cleaned my pc removing all components from cabinet and reassembled it,Is there anything that I have to check in my cabinet?

I'm dissappointed with this usb 3.0 speed.I was getting 10MBps speed in usb 2.0 itself and I want to know what factors affect the usb 3.0 data transfer speed?Can somebody plz guide me on this issue.

it is too slow for an external drive. check the drive on another PC and post a screenshot of crystaldisk info if possible.

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
it is too slow for an external drive. check the drive on another PC and post a screenshot of crystaldisk info if possible.

Checked with my friend's Samsung NP350V5C-S0BIN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) laptop and it gave 55-60 MBps consistently.

Here is my CristalDiskInfo snapshot View attachment 11560. I dont know what those values mean....Is there any problem?

As I said I had got 75 MBps earlier and this slow transfer rate problem has started to appear only after I reassembled my PC for cleaning purpose.

I am running Windows 8 Pro OS and I was trying to transfer the video file from D drive which is about 99% filled (724/731 GB is filled) to my external hd .C Drive where OS is installed is 61% filled,Other 2 drives are around 80% filled.Is this low disk space in my internal HDD causing this slow transfer rate??

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
usb 2.0 speed using sandisk cruzer 8 gb 6 MBps and using wd my passport in a usb 2.0 port gives 20 MBps

Defragmented all drives using Diskeeper 12 Pro and did following tests

1.Tried to copy a video file of 4.7 GB into ext hdd but the transfer speed this time has dropped to 24 MB/s.

2.Installed Ubuntu 13.04 on a 40 gb partition and booted it but couldn't access any other drives apart from the drive where its installed.Came to know that its because of windows 8 fastBootup option.So booted windows 8 then restarted system and chose ubuntu in boot menu, this time I could access all the drives except the one in which windows 8 was instaled

Tried to transfer video files of various size(total of 42 Gb with 165 items) and transfer speed is 60-52 MB/s with a consistent speed of 52 Mb/s.
mp3 files of total 4.7 GB gave a transfer speed of 52 MB/s consistently.
Pictures of .jpeg format (2.9 Gb 3821 items) was transferred with a consistent speed of 37 MB/s.

3.Shutdown system.

4.Power up the system and booted Windows 8.Transfer speed is still 24 MB/s.I thought its Windows 8 problem.

5.Restart the system in windows 8 and again chose windows 8 from boot menu.To my surprize Transfer speeds are
52 MB/s for video and mp3 files and 37 MB/s for .jpeg files.

6.Repeated step 5 many times and got the same result.

CONCLUSION:
Whenever I boot into Windows 8 after a proper shutdown in previous session the transfer speed is 24 MB/s and if I restart the system and boot into Windows 8 transfer speed improves to 60-52 MB/s.

I dont know whether this is a Windows 8 issue.Can anybody please help in this regard?

Thank You

Top Bottom