WD My Passport 1TB USB2.0 HDD Stopped working

guruswaroop

Right off the assembly line
hi guys,
As the title suggests my hard disk WD My Passport 1TB USB2.0 has stopped working. The moment I connect it to my laptop ( hp pavillion dv6000 running windows 7) it gets recognised as Local Disk H: in My Computer. Now if I try to double click on this drive icon, an error throws up saying that H:\ is not accessible, The parameter is incorrect. After some time in a dialog box a message appears which says that, you need to format the drive in H:
I even tried using recover my files software to recover my data, but it looks like it is going to take almost 1 year to complete the scan. This problem has occurred for the second time, last time when this happened I simply used recover my data software to successfully recover all the lost data, but now it is taking a lot of time even to scan !!!

any suggestion is greatly welcome
awaiting your help

guru swaroop

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
My WD also did the same a few months ago. After recovering the partition table, I am able to access the files, but the response is pathetic and some times hangs. Now, I am already moving the data to another external hard disk (seagate backup +) after which I am going to send the WD to warranty.

OP
G

guruswaroop

here is the screenshot :

screenshot of WD HDD with Hard Disk sentinel.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
run chkdsk command to fix errors.type cmd in start search box & right click cmd & select option "run as administrator".in command prompt window type chkdsk j: /f & press enter(where j is your WD drive).

OP
G

guruswaroop

dear whitestar_999, I have done what you said and this is what chkdsk has to say :

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is My Passport.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
4 percent complete. (46876 of 109824 file records processed)
File record segment 46876 is unreadable.
4 percent complete. (46877 of 109824 file records processed)
File record segment 46877 is unreadable.
and it goes on and on at 4 percent.
I left it overnight to see if there is some progress, but when I got up in the morning and saw it, the same sequence is repeating at 4 percent.
should I still let it run, or leave it and try some thing else?

Whenever I connect my WD to my laptop, I get a message in a dialog box :

You need to format the disk in H: before you can use it.
Do you want to format it?

Well I don't know what exactly happens internally on the disk when we format...
but if I format, I feel that I can use the disk... but I want my data back ( top priority ) !!!!
so if I run the software - recover my files to recover data on my WD, I feel I should get back my data
This is just a guess... I don't know if it is correct so I will not do anything which is not recommended by members over here.

I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU EXPERTS ON THIS FORUM FOR YOUR OPINION

Top Bottom