Waves of Nostalgia: Letting go of my old magazines

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Well today is the back to the future day. The day that the movie Back to the future saw as the very distant future when it was released in 1985. So today I finally decided to clean up my act and donate to my friendly neighbourhood raddiwala my collection of Chip/Digit magazines starting from the Dec'99 issue.

That was one hell of a nostalgia trip

Lets start of with the configurations that Chip crowned as the best PCs in 2002. I think today my mobile can outperform both the winners, .....running together. Check out that 40GB Hard disk and 256MB (Woo hoo ... 256MB DDR, UT will love it) RAM and 56K modem (Phone bills be damned, I'll play multiplayer and all my friends will realize what a terror I am with a Flak cannon).

*i.imgur.com/FR5r39r.jpg

And here are the drool PCs from 1999. This was the stuff that most of us fantasized about. If only my dad was the owner of some big ass company I would've gotten that amazing new GeForce 3 card and the new 20GB Hard disk for my birthday (No more having to uninstall NFS 4 if I wanted to play Age of Empires)

*i.imgur.com/jKeS6Bf.jpg

Of course phones were starting to come in and there was this beauty that I was sure I wanted ... but dude it cost more than what I could get by selling a kidney (maybe both). 16MB of storage, I could've easily carried a playlist of 10 MP3 songs with me. Plus touchscreen.... with a stylus .... wow ... just wow

*i.imgur.com/gX6Up1S.jpg

Well finally all that dusty work later and this is what i've taken out (Pikachu is not going to the raddiwala). Hope some chap is going to leaf through this stuff before they turn it into makeshift plates for vada pav

*i.imgur.com/p7BTcet.jpg

Peace people

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Oh boy *nostalgic* :(

PS: From P800 - "The most interesting feature is the flight mode..." :eek:

Really, how far have we come.

PPS: I still have some Fast Track left with me which I had kept to complete them "someday", and the rest is history. :|

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It's been ages since I have been shout out at to clean up the old magazines but I can't let them go. Though my collection begins from 2007 or so. But you sir have amazing collection. Or I should say, "had".

It's always amazing to look back and see how far have we came. Someday we will feel pity on this Quad core phones I had, and would say, "Jeez, we used to use those?"...

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
There was skoar as well. Getting your hands on a game was like diwali came early. And they had DVDs chock full of them.

Also, that was the time when we spent hours playing the demos of games. Using the demos of softwares and just trying everything that came on the CDs

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Yup, i remember lending out my Chip/Digit to people who wanted the tutorial or wanted to buy gadgets from the shootout.

I've done a ton of DIYs from digit and it's helped a ton in learning how a computer works

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
For me, the DVD were a big point, since at the time I didn't have a net connection. Even when I connected to the Internet, the collection of stuff weren't any less than treasure trove.

I know digit from the time, it used to feature actress and actresses on cover page. When it was moved to cover pages of generic computer related stuff,I more than welcomed it, since it was more fitting.

Damn, the nostalgia.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
IIRC my first Digit issue was Dec 2004. I had installed almost "all" softwares provided in the CD (not DVD, not sure though). I was not a pro then. Had got my first PC just three months back.

After installing all that, my PC was like, clicking on Start Menu took 5 minutes to appear.

Flash

Lost in speed
Well finally all that dusty work later and this is what i've taken out (Pikachu is not going to the raddiwala). Hope some chap is going to leaf through this stuff before they turn it into makeshift plates for vada pav
You could've given it to local library?

Last edited:

R2K

In the Zone
Maybe its just me but even though those PC specs looks not even close to what I need now, I was more than happy and satisfied to have whatever I had for a long time. Nowadays it never feels the same. Its like the whole thing gets outdated the moment you step out of the store.

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Yup..... It seems that we've just gotten hungrier for more and more tech. At that time moving from 64Mb to 128mb RAM was a major step up and had a ton of visible impact. Now its mostly overkill but we still lust after every upgrade

Last edited:
Top Bottom