WAR OF 64BIT PROCESSORS

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackshot

Broken In
Microsoft recently said that its 64bit windows longhorn will be highly optimized for IA-64 architechture (itanium and itanium2) which means that intel must have bribed microsoft 4 doing this.
Adobe recently uncovered its 64bits apps plans and said although all 64bit processor would run their apps but IA-64 will give better results.
On the other hand Game developers are mad for AMD64 architechture. Developers like ID, Eidos, Atari, EA and many others are making their way to the 64bit world the AMD64 way. With ID soon lined to release 64bit ver. of
Dooom3 and Quakecon 2004. It seems its doom 4 the consumers.
we will have to buy different comps just to use apps and games.
Is that our future???? :cry:

godzi_85

In the zone
lol....so???
i don`t mind having a gaming pc + a pc for apps...
i mean by the time this thing does happen.. i`ll most probably will be working... so apps pc in my office.. and games pc at home ;)
lolz..

Rajesh_K

Broken In
Lord, how wrong you are. The beauty of a AMD64 is that it runs 32 and 64 bit apps. IA64 which has even been dropped by HP who was the major purchaser of said processors is moving towards AMD. Cheaper and faster, it's the way buisness. As for a 64bit Windows OS, Windows released a Beta version of it's 64bit XP. And has postponed till next year summer or fall release the official version. Will Intel meet this deadline with it's own 64bit extended system, I don't know.

But what I do know, is AMD64 is the way of the future, and migrating wont be an option it will be a requirement. Not only becuase of speed, but because of price points. Not to mention AMD released dual core opteron processors whch are 64bit extended as well. That means 2 processors for the price of one. Intel has yet to release a dual core.

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
Hey, even Intel has released the the 64 Extended System iteration of the P4 (the 'f' series). It currently starts at 3.6GHz (though lower clocked versions might come later). Currently released in miniscule quantities into the market.
Intel claims that its instructions are completely compatible with the AMD64 (this is as far Intel will go to admit that AMD64 is the standard)!

Pure 64 bit systems are expected to be faster than 64Bit extended systems when it comes to traditional server class apps. The biggest advantage that AMD (and now the P4) offers is the seamless transition from 32 to 64 bit, without sacrificing performance.

[flAsh]

In the zone
hey i heard Opteron battles with Itanium2 processors!!!! Amd athlon 64 FX is 2 battle with P4 EE (64 bit edition launched recently but available only in 3.4 ghz version).

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
[flAsh said:
]hey i heard Opteron battles with Itanium2 processors!!!! Amd athlon 64 FX is 2 battle with P4 EE (64 bit edition launched recently but available only in 3.4 ghz version).

The 64Bit P4 is not an EE (Extreme Edition). It in a 'F', though Intel is sure to release an EE later. Also it debuted at 3.6. And, despite Intel claiming fully compliance with AMD64 there are reports that there are some 'issues' that still need sorting.

Rajesh_K

Broken In
Actually the Intel F series says it has EMT64 technology, thats what intel is calling it anyways, and is only available as a server chip currently. And finding one, well good luck there. Supposedly they will have wide scale release in middle of '05 But again, I am holding my breath.

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
Rajesh_K said:
Actually the Intel F series says it has EMT64 technology, thats what intel is calling it anyways, and is only available as a server chip currently. And finding one, well good luck there. Supposedly they will have wide scale release in middle of '05 But again, I am holding my breath.

That's what I meant when is said 'miniscule' quantities. Actually, Intel says that it does not see see a sizable demand for 64Bit system for at least another 12 months.

Me thinks Intel is just trying to downplay the applause received by AMD64, although techies only make for a tiny fraction of the market.

[flAsh]

In the zone
hey alpha u r little 2 smart.
first of all itanium2 and opteron are 2 battle with each other. True AMD64 runs 32bit apps better than IA64, thus opteron seems 2 win here. but again IA64 is more robust architecture. Pentium 4'f' are basically prescott with increased L2 cache of 2mb. moreover 64bit P4 EE are 2 b available in market soon (none of the 64bit P4 are available officially as said by Intel)

[flAsh]

In the zone
intel f series processors are 64bit enabled n it seems r available in malaysia!!! what the hell is in india???

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
[flAsh said:
]hey alpha u r little 2 smart.

Thank you! :lol:

[flAsh said:
]first of all itanium2 and opteron are 2 battle with each other. True AMD64 runs 32bit apps better than IA64, thus opteron seems 2 win here. but again IA64 is more robust architecture.

AMD64 runs 32bit apps better than IA64 simply because it actually runs them! IA64 chips (namely the Itaniums) are incapable to running 32bit apps. That's what Rajesh_K is trying to say, as this is the main advantage of AMD64; it does not force you to choose between the present and the future.

As I said earlier, pure 64 bit processors run 64 bit application better. It is not right to compare the Opteron with Itanium2 in terms of performance. Even though they are both targetting the same market segment, they are based on radically different technologies. Their programs are not inter-compatible. Code has to be compiled (or re-written) seperately for each architecture.

[flAsh said:
]Pentium 4'f' are basically prescott with increased L2 cache of 2mb. moreover 64bit P4 EE are 2 b available in market soon (none of the 64bit P4 are available officially as said by Intel)

Wrong. The P4F are not the same as a Prescott. The 'F' series is the original 64bit P4 series, sporting what Intel calls the IA32e or EM64T. I have not heard of them having larger than normal L2. I also doubt that Intel will have a 64bit P4EE so soon, when it has not even shipped the normal 64bit P4s into the retail channel. The EEs are for enthusiasts or hardcore gamers, while IA32e is targeted at cheap(er) servers and workstations.

Since all prescott are internally based on a 64bit micro-architecture, it is said that all Prescott are IA32e capable, but disabled (damn it!).
If any P4F ( which are now avaialable in 3.2, 3.4, and 3.6) are available for retail, then they are leaked. Intel clearly said that the P4F are only for OEMS who request these for servers of workstations. It will not release them to the general public until relevant software (read Windows 64 for extended systems) and drivers are available.

[flAsh]

In the zone
hey alpha U can check sites like *www.xbitlabs.com 2 get urself confirmed that 64bit P4EE is available in malaysia and many countries(though not officially.) and 4 mainstream there is 64bit Prescott(which has massive 2Mb L2 cache). moreover as AMD has jst launched dual core Opteron processors, Intel is having tough time in server and high end workstation market as dual core has actually two processors in one instead of HT which makes program feel that there r 2 processors. 64bit Xeon battle with opteron as they r based on IA32e architechture which runs 32bit apps nicely and can run 64bit apps 2 jst like AMD64 processors. Itanium 2 is a pure 64bit processor thus can leave any other processor behind in 64bit apps.

Rajesh_K

Broken In
Like I said The F series with EMT64 technology is available, but has not had world wide release, and is still very hard to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom