Want to try new Ryzen for light video editing & grading

OP
gurujee

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
thank you for the info. I agree with you i should wait for the new i5 to be released in order to make a wise decision as whether to go with ryzen or i5.

Hi.
I did some research and realized that motherboards which have DisplayPort 1.2 can drive a 4K monitor at 60Hz. If only Ryzen had integrated graphics....

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

vivek g delhi

Broken In
thank you for the info. I agree with you i should wait for the new i5 to be released in order to make a wise decision as whether to go with ryzen or i5.
Coffee Lake is out and do they look Yummy! But pricing is an issue. The i5-8400 is the sweet spot at similar pricing as ryzen 1600 and having 6 cores. It is faster than ryzen 1600X in majority video and photo tasks. Downside is availability of the processor right now is limited and motherboards are 15k

Intel Core i7 8700K / i5 8600K / i5 8400 'Coffee Lake' review: affordable six cores!

OP
gurujee

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
oh thanks so much for the valuable info. I am kind of at non-techie side and confused. Will i5 8400 be better than a ryzen 1700 with the same budget. Or is it wise to wait for the i5 availability and price drop?
Coffee Lake is out and do they look Yummy! But pricing is an issue. The i5-8400 is the sweet spot at similar pricing as ryzen 1600 and having 6 cores. It is faster than ryzen 1600X in majority video and photo tasks. Downside is availability of the processor right now is limited and motherboards are 15k

Intel Core i7 8700K / i5 8600K / i5 8400 'Coffee Lake' review: affordable six cores!

sohan_92

In the zone
oh thanks so much for the valuable info. I am kind of at non-techie side and confused. Will i5 8400 be better than a ryzen 1700 with the same budget. Or is it wise to wait for the i5 availability and price drop?
If you can wait till next year Feb-March, then you can get some budget coffeelake supported motherboards. But in mean time , AMD will release new competitive processor. So choice is yours.

vivek g delhi

Broken In
Intel i5 8400 is around 15 k and a good motherboard is 15k. Total 30 k. Ryzen 1700 itself is 25 k . Add mobo and graphics and you cross 35k easy. So intel is better choice. Its faster than 1700 in most photo and video operations and has lower power consumption when idling. Just remember to choose a board and monitor with Display Port connection

vivek g delhi

Broken In
If you can wait till next year Feb-March, then you can get some budget coffeelake supported motherboards. But in mean time , AMD will release new competitive processor. So choice is yours.
Ryzen 2 is expected in Feb 2018.

sohan_92

In the zone
Intel i5 8400 is around 15 k and a good motherboard is 15k. Total 30 k. Ryzen 1700 itself is 25 k . Add mobo and graphics and you cross 35k easy. So intel is better choice. Its faster than 1700 in most photo and video operations and has lower power consumption when idling. Just remember to choose a board and monitor with Display Port connection

I don't know why you are comparing i5 coffeelake with ryzen 7 1700 while ryzen 7 has better core and threads.

vivek g delhi

Broken In
I don't know why you are comparing i5 coffeelake with ryzen 7 1700 while ryzen 7 has better core and threads.
Ryzen only has more cores but nit necessarily better. Intel still has IPC and clock speed advantage, in built GPU and lower power consumption. For the kind of work that OP wants to do, Kaby lake was worse than Ryzens but Coffee Lake is better. Do not just look at Cinebench scores which everyone is reporting but also check out reviews who have compared real world application of effects and fliters in Photoshop and Premiere on Coffee Lake vs Ryzen. I provided a link in my previous post as well. The PugetSystems page i linked earlier also had same conclusion when they compared KabyLake with Ryzen. Coffee Lake is better than Kaby Lake in terms of core count and core performance.
I am in similar boat as OP as i have reasoned on the other thread about my build and have kept a keen eye on this situation. I was taking the pluge on Ryzen 1600 while now I am for Coffee Lake. Its really simple. I am not biased. I simply want a processor giving more bang for buck.

vivek g delhi

Broken In
Ryzen only has more cores but nit necessarily better. Intel still has IPC and clock speed advantage, in built GPU and lower power consumption. For the kind of work that OP wants to do, Kaby lake was worse than Ryzens but Coffee Lake is better. Do not just look at Cinebench scores which everyone is reporting but also check out reviews who have compared real world application of effects and fliters in Photoshop and Premiere on Coffee Lake vs Ryzen. I provided a link in my previous post as well. The PugetSystems page i linked earlier also had same conclusion when they compared KabyLake with Ryzen. Coffee Lake is better than Kaby Lake in terms of core count and core performance.
I am in similar boat as OP as i have reasoned on the other thread about my build and have kept a keen eye on this situation. I was taking the pluge on Ryzen 1600 while now I am for Coffee Lake. Its really simple. I am not biased. I simply want a processor giving more bang for buck.

Also lets get another pricing comparison

Intel i7-8700= 25k, range z370 Motherboard=14k Total =39 K

Ryzen 1700 = 24k, Mid Range B350 Motherboard = 8 K, Low end 1030 card to drive 4K display = 6.5 k,Total = 38.5 K

Also check PugetSystems comparisons on link below

Premiere Pro CC 2017.1.2 CPU Performance: Core i7 8700K, i5 8600K, i3 8350K

These are K series intels and X series Ryzens but they tell you relative performance figures.

sohan_92

In the zone
@vivek g delhi , again you are not considering all the factors. The link you provided has 1080Ti base configuration and so as all the performance statistics. Are you suggesting OP to build a system without GPU? I can understand more you pay more performance you will get. Considering OP's budget, do you think it is feasible to get i7 8th gen+ mobo+ decent GPU ?

vivek g delhi

Broken In
@vivek g delhi , again you are not considering all the factors. The link you provided has 1080Ti base configuration and so as all the performance statistics. Are you suggesting OP to build a system without GPU? I can understand more you pay more performance you will get. Considering OP's budget, do you think it is feasible to get i7 8th gen+ mobo+ decent GPU ?
I am suggesting configuration without GPU. GPUs do not help with Photoshop and are of minimal help in Premiere. For DaVinci Resolve, RED has a few dedicated cards that cost a bomb. The Only useful GPUs for premiere are the high end professional ones.
If gaming is not needed, why put in extra money where it's not required and then factor in extra heat generation and higher power bills.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Stock i5-8600k bests i7-7700k OC'd to 5 GHz as evident from this:
OP's requirements aren't that high. I don't remember if R5 1600 beats 7700k and if yes, by what margin.

Frankly, if intel allows their B350(?) mobos to support OC'ing, that'd be probably the best VFM combination (even than R5 1600 + AMD B350). Until then, you have only Z370 mobos as an option.

vivek g delhi

Broken In
Please share, I need for personal research purpose. And also share the same for 4k resolution.

Ok. I stand corrected.
I have been using Photoshop on a i7-4770 with and without GT 1060. The only difference was in Liquefy and Sharoen tools. But apparently the recent versions do use CUDA a but more.
Premiere does benefits from CUDA but not much for minor HD video edits. CUDA acceleration is more useful for filters and effects. For 4K video editing, a minimum of 1060 with 6GB ram is recommended.

Photoshop CC 2017 NVIDIA GeForce GPU Performance

sohan_92

In the zone
Ok. I stand corrected.
I have been using Photoshop on a i7-4770 with and without GT 1060. The only difference was in Liquefy and Sharoen tools. But apparently the recent versions do use CUDA a but more.
Premiere does benefits from CUDA but not much for minor HD video edits. CUDA acceleration is more useful for filters and effects. For 4K video editing, a minimum of 1060 with 6GB ram is recommended.

Photoshop CC 2017 NVIDIA GeForce GPU Performance

Thanks.

The 2nd point what I wanted.

vivek g delhi

Broken In
Thanks.

The 2nd point what I wanted.
A perosnal opinion is that upgrading CPU is usually difficult but adding on components based on felt need is better. The OP does not want 4K video editing. As he mentioned its only small Full HD clips and color grading.
He doees not want an editing beast.
Screen estate is helpful. He does not want to overclock.

So what i can suggest is:
Since i5-8400 offers 6 cores and better performance than last years i7, go in for config 2 and use the 10k saved for a 27 inch 4K monitor. Then add a video card based on felt need.

OP
gurujee

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
I really appreciate the help and guidance from the forum and thanks very much Vivek for the much needed config options.

How much more performance i can gain if i choose i7 8700 over i5 8400?

do you recommend a gfx card to the intel config for adding filters/ or working with lumetri presets & luts in premier ? if yes, which one?

I am being tempted for 2nd config as well as the total cost with the LG 4k monitor will be around 110000 which will allow me to add a gfx card if needed.

Top Bottom