Want to remove few programs that run during start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aanand

Journeyman
In Win XP, we can “Run>msconfig� and remove the programs that start during system startup. Is it possible to do the same in Win2k?
I tried the same command and it doesn't work in win2k.
The same command works in win98 as well.
I want to remove a few items that run during start up and work in the background, as my computer has become too slow. Please help!

puja399

In the zone
Run 'Regedit.exe', and edit the appropriate entry in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Before that u shld backup ur registry.

OP
A

Aanand

Journeyman
I would also like to know whether the command msconfig is not available in win2k or my is OS corrupted? I am afraid to edit the registry as I am not an expert in computers.
Is there any other way as the above command?
To be frank, I don't even know how to backup the registry!! :(

sakumar79

Technomancer
msconfig.exe is not bundled by default in windows 2000. You can use the one in winxp and it should work without problem. You can download it from *www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

Also, in windows 2000/xp, you will be bothered by a dialog on restart after running msconfig - u can try startup control panel (available at *www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml), etc. as alternative...

Arun

Minimalistix

I'm back!
Use Registy Editor or any Startup Manager

Hello Aanand,

"Msconfig" lets you control your startup items by editing certain Registry Keys behind the scenes.

As you know Windows 2000 doesn't have "Msconfig", you can either
use a software to assist you or can choose to manually edit the Registry yourself.

Keep in mind that editing the Registry in a wrong place can render your computer unbootable.
So, if you feel more comfortable with using a software, you can go ahead and search online for it.

But, I'll say it's not very difficult to edit the registry yourself.
You just have to be a little more careful and shouldn't delete things blindly.

Here's the procedure:

Click on Start -> Run -> Type "regedit" and press Enter.

This will open your Registry Editor. Now under "My Computer" navigate as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> RunOnce

Upon selecting the "Run" Key, in the right window pane you'll see "some" of the items that run on startup
along with the "path" the item resides in. Remove all the entries for items you don't want to run at the startup.

If you are absolutely sure that a particular item is infact a virus or is unwanted, you can copy its application path by
double-clicking its entry and pressing Ctrl+C. Then navigate to the item's location using the path just copied and delete
it from your computer. Some viruses add themselves to the "RunOnce" just below the "Run" Key. So, check this Key too.

Do the same for:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> RunOnce

Now, exit Registry Editor and check your "Startup" folders.

Start -> All Programs -> Right-Click "Startup" -> Select "Open" to open
YOUR Startup folder at: <SystemDrive:>\Documents and Settings\<YOUR UserName>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Start -> All Programs -> Right-Click "Startup" -> Select "Open All Users" to open
ALL USERS Startup folder at: <SystemDrive:>\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Delete all the Shortcuts to applications you do not want to get run automatically on your startup.

That's all Aanand!!

If you would rather like to use a software, you can search online. There are plenty of them.

Here's one that I found: StartupRun v1.22 This utility has been released as a freeware. :)

*www.nirsoft.net/utils/strun.gif

You can disable, enable, edit or delete selected startup entries. You can even create your own startup entries.
:idea: It even helps identify "some" spyware or adware programs that run at startup, by painting their entries in pink color.

Now, how cool is that!!

Ravi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom