want to know something !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bijaysh

Right off the assembly line
hi all,
i m a new digit forum member and have recently bought a new computer . i know little bit about computer and want to know more bout this machine. can u tech guys help me. u can see the configuration of my computer in my signature( as far as i know)
i want to know following things.

1. Is maxtor hdd has gud performance and how much it costs.
2. Is 128 mb ram is sufficient for windows xp

thanx for now. waiting for expert comments

d

Journeyman
mm....I guess maxtor's okay, tho I hv no idea how much it costs. As to your question about RAM n windows XP, NO WAY!! 128 MB Ram + Windows XP = Slowpoke. In fact, I think the minimum requirements for SP2 is 256 MB Ram. I recommend u get atleast 256, or preferably, 512

Biplav

In the zone
y dont u go 4 seagate? gives gr8 performance and comes with a 5 yr warranty. maxtor hdds are known to be noisy.
and yes 128 mb ram is sufficient to run winxp but dude wat will u do by just running windows? u need to play some games , run some applications and have some internet. i think this is where there comes a huge difference between 128 and 256 mb ram.
the later will give u good performance and no hangs. where as on 128 ram when ur memory ll be full the applications will hang then u would be regretin y u got a 128mb ram.
so just add a few 100 bucks and go 4 256

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
Go for atleast 256MB for WinXP, but with newer applications even thats not enough, so preferably go for 512MB, either of Kingston or Transcend or Corsair(if u can afford one).

And Maxtor Drives are known to be noisy, go for Seagate Drives.

Since ur comp is new, make sure u r running WindowsXP with SP2.

expertno.1

Technomancer
maxtor har drive is good you can get

don't know the price
see the digit magazine for the price
or log on to see its price on
www.maxtor.com/

128 Ram is not sufficient

but u can use it by disabling al the graphics eye candy and tweaking using Dr. Salmans window Power Tools

u shouldgo for 256 mb at least for eye candy

D

dinesh_singh

maxtor is good but if it was great if u buy a 80 gb hardisk with 5yrs warranty.....coz the price difference will be just rs 200-300.

and for ur second question xp sp2 sucks even with 512mb of ram...so running it on 128 mb is a suicide.remove sp2 i dont think u need sp2 and stick with 256 mb atleast.

D

dinesh_singh

i mean 40 gb maxtor will cost u arround rs 2000 and 80 gb maxtor is priced at rs 2300.
if you go to a dealer he will tell you what will u do of 80gb hard disk....thery are slow.u wont even be able to fill up 20 gb.dont even hear them.
they are just making money...so my suggestion is replace your ram and hdd both.

and i m damm sure your system was decided by the dealer.....coz this kinda config can oly be suggested by a dealer who knows nothing about computers. 90% dealers are uneducated and are in business coz they culdnt find anyother way of living.

rohanbee

Padawan
Well im just repeating what the others said:-

1. Go for a seagate, 80gb at least.........and good support all around the country. Samsung is also reliable. Heard about some over-heating issues in maxtor but cannot substantiate these facts.

2. No no, 128 is too less,, better to use windows 2000 or 98 then..............they say xp requires 256 minimum but if feel they even lied about that. Win xp needs ate least 512 but thats my opinion then.

expertno.1

Technomancer
dinesh_singh
Analogue Novice
u r wrong
xp doesn't sucks at 512 mb ram
i think u are using SD RAM

512 is a great amount of ram for xp

i have 224 mb ram and tweaked every part of it
so i got a better speed than all of u have even with 512

so use 256 mb ram which must be DDR SDRAM

rohanbee

Padawan
expertno.1 said:
512 is a great amount of ram for xp

i have 224 mb ram and tweaked every part of it
so i got a better speed than all of u have even with 512

so use 256 mb ram which must be DDR SDRAM

Well you are both right and wrong , my opinion is, you have to look at the whole system, a 1.8ghz system with 512mb ram will not run xp as a 3.0ghz would. There will be preformance lags and advantages respectively.

Its important that bijaysh tells us the specs of his new comp.

OP
B

bijaysh

thnx alot buddies for the information . i really made a mistake of taking 128 mb ram i'll take atleast 256 mb and will try to replace the hdd to seagate .
hey frnds wats this sd ram or dd ram. how to know the type of ram i m using.
thnx u all.

anandk

Distinguished Member
i have 128mb ram. i use winxp with sp2. no problem. :D

u may have to disable xp eye candy and some uneccessary resource hogging services.

check out
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21415
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17845

raghug

SDRAM stands for Synchronus Dynamic RAM and DDR stands for Double Data Rate. 128MB DDR gives the performence of 256MB SDRAM. yes it gives the double performence and it also takes less Power compared to the SDRAM. DDR RAM's r replacing the SDRAM in the market probably u may not get SDRAM after a few years. u can probably find which one u r using in your system BIOS settings. check it out there.

Never evvverrrr take a Maxtor hard disk. in my company every week one r two maxtor 40GB hard disks keeps on failing in our DELL systems. even the DELL computers r replacing all previous maxtor HDD with Western Digital.

happy computing.
bye.

[lokesh]

Journeyman
Maxtor is a good brand and it performs well..
I know a friend of mine who runs win xp professional with 64 mb of ram..but yes..he has all the eyecandy turned off and the performance is very bad. I think with 128 mb of ram, the performance will be ok, but with all eyecandy options turned off. But when u start running resource hungry applications like Adobe Photoshop etc.., the performance will s**k.

So i think it's better to have min. of 256 Mb of ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom