want to buy a confused btw Nexus 5 and Xperia Z1

bibinjohn

Journeyman
i want to buy a smartphone i am confused between Nexus 5 32GB and Xperia Z1. the price will be around 31100rs after using coupon from ebay. the Z1 has better battery, 20MP camera, waterproof. rest of the specs are almost same. i dont know which one to buy. i am not looking for the best camera, but for me the battery life is important. which phone has better performance and which one looks good..?

Esoteric Eric

Journeyman
Battery
-------

Nexus 5 has a 2300 mAh battery and though there have been many complaints regarding low capacity, a single day of moderate usage is totally possible. Not to mention there is already an update being rolled out to fix all that so this concern about battery life should soon die away

Android 4.4.3 spotted in the wild, coming soon to fix battery draining camera bug|androidandme.com

Xperia Z1 on the other hand has a beefy 3000 mAh battery so there should be no doubt about the battery life

Performance
---------------

Nexus 5 is heavily supported over at XDA and basically it is a Developer Phone and not really for the masses. There are literally tons of modifications available for your phone and the life of a Nexus device is always more than that of a non-nexus device. You can tweak almost every aspect of your phone to suit your requirements. And performance, really, is just one aspect of it.

Xperia Z1 isn't left out when it comes to unofficial support. There are some good ROMs and Kernels for this device though nowhere near that available for a Nexus. The customization is the only area where this device will lose out to a Nexus but its stock ROM is pretty good to boot.

Now as you can see that both these devices are literally same spec to spec in terms of CPU,GPU and RAM, there is nothing to differentiate if they operate right out-of-the-box. However, throw in a bit of tweaks like overclocking, undervolting, memory optimization....and you get the idea. The raw performance should theoretically be the same.

Looks(aesthetics)
-----------------

This is a purely subjective issue so I will not go further but if you ask me, I can't really decide. Though I like the minimalist approach of Nexus 5 but the sharp corners of Xperia Z1 are no less spectacular

I think it is a tie

Verdict
-------
Nexus 5 if you want performance tweaks
Xperia Z1 for microSD card slot, water resistance, shock resistance and FM Radio :D

Sony Xperia Z1 vs Nexus 5 comparison review: two high-end Android smartphones slug it out|PCAdvisor

OP
B

bibinjohn

Journeyman
thanks for the replies.. i am also trying to buy the Nexus 5 from US. For 32gb version including the shipping and taxes (Texas) it will cost $440. i can ship it to my friends address there.

ashs1

Padawan
Go for Nexus 5 if u want tons of Dev. support & fastest Android updates.
For everything else, there's Z1. Go for Z1C if you need the goodness of Z1 in a smaller package. Its almost identical to Z1 except in display size & battery capacity. :)

& do note that you cannot claim for warranty of Nexus 5 from USA.

OP
B

bibinjohn

Journeyman
thank you so much for the replies. because of money problems i can only buy the phone in may.... again thank you so much for all the replies

Top Bottom