Wait for Nehalem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^Not necessarily. Intel will want to get their share in the low-end and mid-range processor segment which is currently the only place where AMD sells most of their products. They will either reduce the prices of Nehalem and make them affordable to budget buyers or they will reduce the prices of the current generation processors(like C2Q) so that even low-end computers can have them. That way, they'll knock of AMD from the market for sometime.

[OT]
How much did AS cost? Is it effective?[/OT]

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
^350 bucks and its effective-helped me sell my card
i think 2-3 months ago chip posted a tutorial on how to add custom cooler..check it.

and if i know intel its gonna be some current gen proccy price slash-they alredy decreased Quad price yesterday i think

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^Yup.. Thats what I'm telling.. If they wont reduce the prices of Nehalem, then the prices of the current generation processors will be cut by a huge margin. Maybe they'll make C2Qs affordable to low-end computer buyers.

Do you know which month exactly? And how much will it reduce the temperature? At least 20C?

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
18degree on one card and 13 on other (my frnd's 8800 GT Alpha dog)

i'll check the issue and scan that page if possible

aytus

The Boss
hey all. jst a bit of info.. Nehalem,s were never meant to go mainstream btw.. they are ultra-high-end chips. like SKULLTRAIL .. nd altho they wud be launched soon . wid X58 .. NEHALEM,s are never coming to mainstream.. expect similar chips to hit the market last quater this year or Q1 next year.. also intel is going to work indigenously to get ddr3 prices and latences down.. expect it to be 1.5 times ddr mem at Q1 next year... i,d suggest if u can wait ... then you should . the Tick is coming .. and it always pays off to wait wherever computers are concerned

shaunak

Tux Fan
I suggest you wait for Socket B (LGA1366).
Plus the single socket desktop variant - Bloomfield is bound to be cheap(er?) + mainstream.
Not to mention AMD will also roll out its AM3 socket.
The new sockets will atleast insure you for a year and a half to come.

If you upgrade now your CPU socket + memory will be totally useless in about one product cycle's time.

Even I was about to upgrade but have decided to wait for another few months.
It happened to me with the Socket 478~LGA 775 transition, and I wont repeat my error again.

OP
SenthilAnandh

SenthilAnandh

Lost,But not yet defeated
Nehalem is not for gamers. I am going to buy the system as planned except replacing core2duo by quad core. Can you tell me best quad core for gamming(around 200$)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^
woot !! nehalem's not for gamers ??? good god.. thanx for the reply mate.. :phew..:

yup, me too looking for a gaming rig so im too waiting for replies... my budget will be 70K :D

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^ ..lol..

Btw, buddy, can u list down the mobo, proccy, RAM, SMPS and graphics card for the same config...(or any better if there is available for gaming) for a 70K budget..

i wud be obliged..as really do not hv any latest info on these systems/components..

currently hv a p4 2.0 ghz with 2GB ddr1 and 256 MB nvidia agp :(

OP
SenthilAnandh

SenthilAnandh

Lost,But not yet defeated
Quad Core Q9300 2.50 GHz 11000
Asus P5Q Pro 9000
Corsair DDR 2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 (2 X 2GB) 5000
Seagate Sata 2 1 Terabyte (32 MB Buffer) 8000
CoolerMaster RC330KKR1 Elite 330 Black 1800
CoolerMaster RP-600-PCAR Extreme Power 600W 3100
GeCube HD4870 512MB DDR5 16000
Viewsonic LCD 22" 2235WM 13000
Creative Inspire 5.1 Spkrs M5200 3900
Logitech G1 Gaming Destop Key + Mouse 1300

*www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=480

Last edited:

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
i think that its better to wait 4 Nehalem till November-December and if u can get a decent enuf Nehalem config in ur budget then get 1 else go for Core2.

i myself am not upgrading now and waiting till mid november to see whether i can get a good nehalem proccy + mobo & gfx card & ddr 3 ram in 40-50k.if i dont get then i shall move to P45/X48 & ddr3

acewin

Point Blanc
well, atleast let nahelam release and see if other prices decrease or not, that is what I am doing. Running on my laptop for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom