W8968 causing some troubles.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
ok inspite of all tech talks here I found under the PPOE connection in router web interface that the default idle time is just 15 minutes...thats if u keep router idle for 15 mins its gonna stop or hang ....hmm maybe it can be a reason...I changed it to 0 which is unlimited lets see if it still hangs

Nice find :clap:

Let's see the response. Please keep us updated. (Though I'm not facing any problem yet, it's just that I'm worried as I have the same model :p)

ok inspite of all tech talks here I found under the PPOE connection in router web interface that the default idle time is just 15 minutes...thats if u keep router idle for 15 mins its gonna stop or hang ....hmm maybe it can be a reason...I changed it to 0 which is unlimited lets see if it still hangs

did u try disabling the usb settings???

sujoyp

Grand Master
I will update in morning if it got hanged after whole night :) if it didnt then 15min idle time was the culprit else will look something else :D

OP
L

little

Journeyman

There is a bug in the latest firmware for v2 that prevents changing the default time (15 mins) to anything else. Atleast I can't change it to anything else. It keeps on resetting to 15 mins.

And the modem should not hang after 15 minute. In PPPoE mode, the modem automatically logs in using your BB username & PW. That time states that after how much time of complete inactivity the modem will log out or disconnect from the internet without disconnecting from the link (DSL)

I will update in morning if it got hanged after whole night :) if it didnt then 15min idle time was the culprit else will look something else :D

:pray:
Keep us posted.

that link directed me to my modem page :p

It wasn't your modem page. Look closely in the address bar.
*www.tp-link.in/resources/simulator/W8968_v1/index.htm

Its an online simulator of the modem interface of W8968 v1 running on firmware 120926.

Karan85

Broken In
Hah.. So I'm not alone.
Have the 8968 v2 and it starting disconnecting on the evening of the 5th.... Its something with the DHCP.
My net is working fine now that I've assigned static ips to my computer, phone, laptop and tablet.. but it's very annoying.
I can't access 192.168.1.1 either..
Have to restart the modem and I can access it for a couple of minutes before it becomes inaccessible.

Whatever it is, it needs to be fixed.

Weird how it all started on the same day for everyone

OP
L

little

Journeyman
Hah.. So I'm not alone.

Weird how it all started on the same day for everyone

Now I'm more interested in knowing this mystery than knowing the solution to this problem. :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So disabling the DHCP allows you to connect your devices to the modem even after it hangs??
I was thinking the same but didn't try it. But the thing is that disabling DHCP is a partial solution.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Yes I disabled all the USB things as u told earlier but that didnt solve the problem and still the router stopped working.

But incresing that 15 min to 0 solved my problem ....today morning I got modem working after 6 hrs and wifi also is working fine...I connected my mobile and it connected normally ...lets see if any other issue comes up

nipunb

Broken In
I've disabled all USB functions, but I can't set idle time to 0, it just keep resetting to 15...
let's see... :(

Karan85

Broken In
I've disabled all USB functions, but I can't set idle time to 0, it just keep resetting to 15...
let's see... :(
It'll keep resetting to 15 because you probably have "Always On" selected

If you select "connect manually" then you can change the idle time to whatever you want.

nipunb

Broken In
It'll keep resetting to 15 because you probably have "Always On" selected

If you select "connect manually" then you can change the idle time to whatever you want.
it looks like disabling the USB functions is enough, the router is working perfectly from past 2 hours...
the router page is opening and my phone and tablet are easily connecting to wifi again, I tried it multiple times and its working as it should. hope it stays this way...

nipunb

Broken In
Gr8... Then my method worked for 1 atleast :)
yeah man, been up for 5 hours now and its working smoothly. However, its just a temporary solution as it will be problematic for someone, who want the USB functions. I never used the USB, so I'm okay with that. But tp-link really needs to work on this mess, asap... :|

yeah man, been up for 5 hours now and its working smoothly. However, its just a temporary solution as it will be problematic for someone, who want the USB functions. I never used the USB, so I'm okay with that. But tp-link really needs to work on this mess, asap... :|

Atleast we are saved from the process of replacing the router... Hopefully it will be solved by a firmware update

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Looks like huge number of people started facing the problem suddenly : TP Link W8968 issues. | TechEnclave - Indian Technology Forum

Karan85

Broken In
Looks like huge number of people started facing the problem suddenly : TP Link W8968 issues. | TechEnclave - Indian Technology Forum
Heh.. who is blr_p? and why is he copy-pasting from here?

Anyway.. disabling the USB setting for print server has done the trick for me. Don't need static ip any more.. and the router page is working fine too since morning..

Thanks a lot for the fix.. TP link will fix it with a firmware update soon.. but still weird how it all started on the same date..

Top Bottom