VMware Workstation 7.1 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
The VMware Workstation Team is excited to announce that VMware Workstation 7.1 is now available. The team has been working hard since the beginning of year to bring VMware Workstation 7.1 to you. With over 10 new features including twice the 3D graphics performance, support for more powerful virtual machines, and tighter Windows 7 integration, VMware Workstation 7.1 is faster and more convenient than ever for getting work done so you can go home early.
VMware Workstation 7.1’s excellent Windows 7 performance and integration makes it easy to learn, test and demo new platforms and technologies like Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010, and SharePoint 2010 –all on your own computer.

Richer Graphics Enable the Most Demanding Applications
>Up to 2x the graphics performance for DirectX 9.0 and hardware acceleration for OpenGL 2.1 in Windows 7 and Windows Vista virtual machines, results in smoother video playback, improved gaming experience, and VMware Workstation 7.1 virtual machines are now supported and recommended by Autodesk for use with AutoCAD 2011.

Increased Power
>Support for even more powerful virtual machines with 8 virtual processors (or 8 virtual cores) and 2 TB virtual disks.

>Ability to import and export Open Virtualization Format (OVF 1.0) packaged virtual machines and upload directly to VMware vSphere, the industry’s best platform for building cloud infrastructures.

>Optimized performance for Intel’s Core i3, i5, i7 processor family for faster virtual machine encryption and decryption.

Tighter Integration
>Launch virtualized applications directly from the Windows 7 taskbar to create a seamless experience between applications in your virtual machines and the desktop.

PinOutlookExpress
>Built-in automatic updates that checks, downloads, and installs VMware Workstation updates.

Run Even More Operating Systems
>VMware Workstation 7.1 supports running over 600 operating systems and VMware Workstation 7.1 adds support for the latest Linux operating systems including Ubuntu 8.04.4, Ubuntu 10.04, OpenSUSE 11.2, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5, Fedora 12, Debian 5.0.4, Mandriva 2009.1
Source(Full story, download links and update links for Vmware 7.0 users)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
buddy thousands of softwares are updated daily...is this really a news?

we all are (mostly) home users...VMWare is really not that important :(

OP
celldweller1591
well, its one of my favourite application that i use in windows thats why i posted and it is the best hypervisor in the market at the moment. So, just wanted to update others, thats all !

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
ok... :)
how do make use of it? if i may ask...

I mean we can install any application and uninstall it whenever we wish...we can create multiple partitions to install different OSes...so what is the real use of VMWare?
I am sorry I am little noob in this subject...although VMWare is extensively used in my organisation in production, staging and development environments to utilize the hardware and software resources to the full extent...but I just can't see any use of it in my PC...

OP
celldweller1591
Well, its vast. You can create VMware OS(Linux,BSD,Windows,MacOS-X etc.),VMware team, ACE feature is great, it can run several VMs at the same time. Unity feature is like a dedicated OS running in para virtualised mode. Like i install xp in VMware and run it in unity feature and you will feel like you are running xp mode of win7 in any OS you want. It has got web integration and many more. Every machine being installed on VMware sees the preallocated hardware as the sole machine and uses it to get installed. It has got a great hardware support and usb and cd/dvd drives can be used very easily. VMware automatically uses host internet connection. It can link with the host hardware using the guest os and read/write functions can be made. Apart from desktops and enterprise servers, it has vast application is cloud computing. I can say it is endless. VMware ACE (assured computing environment)is a software solution integrated in VMware Workstation that enables anyone to deploy and manage secure, platform-independent virtual machines that end users can use on their work PC, personal computer, or even a portable USB media device (in the way of a portable application). VMware ACE enables safe access to enterprise resources from assured computing environments. These isolated PC environments run on top of existing PCs. With virtual rights management, built-in copy protection controls, and automatic encryption, ACE helps prevent theft, tampering, and unauthorized copying of applications, data, system settings, and files. VMware ThinApp, formerly Thinstall, is a virtualization suite capable of creating portable software. VMware team enables you to access guest os from network. VMware player has got web integration and i friend of mine was able to integrate his own created Suse Studio based openSUSE distro into it. The usability has got no limits. You just know how to use it :) I currently run 12 different distro in VMware 7.0 and its rally handy and works fine with moderate system resources. I cant imagine computing without it as wahtever distro i test, i test it in VMware.

OP
celldweller1591
VMware player is a reduced functionality mode for VMware workstation. Its free and gives only basic virtualisation options to users like full virualisation and para virtualisation and thats it. Its like Virtual box but VMware workstation has all functionalities as i said above. IMO is you want a free hypervisor, Virtual box is the best among the two.

OP
celldweller1591
For linux, Qemu and KVM(Kernel Virtual Machine) are the best choices. For windows free one is Virtual box and it is also available for linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom