Vista Sales Slow? It's Those Darn Pirates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Third Eye

gooby pls
Last week we mentioned that Microsoft was backing away from sales forecasts that it's now calling "aggressive" for Windows Vista through 2008. A lot of people marked slow sales up to a combination of hardware and software support lagging, and the lack of compelling reasons to move away from Windows XP considering how stable of an OS it has become in the last 5 years.

However, it seems Microsoft sees the issue a bit differently.

In the same call last week with analysts saying that estimates on sales were overly aggressive, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says one way to improve sales is to tighten the screws on pirates through strengthening of the Windows Genuine Advantage protection system. Claiming "Piracy reduction can be a source of Windows revenue growth..."

Specifically mentioned, was targeting emerging markets in Asia, currently hotbeds for software piracy.

The question is, will making it harder to pirate encourage more sales? Or will these protections just prove a minor annoyance that will just take a little while longer for hackers to overcome? And what will be the cost to legal users who find themselves having to prove their "legal" copies to Microsoft in the future?

Source

Vyasram

The pWnster
one gotta say that m$ were insane when they predicted those vista sales figures sometime ago. who'd buy an os at that price ( except die-hard followers)

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Well that really isn't that surprising. Vista isn't really worth an upgrade for the mega bucks considering nothing is revolutionary in comparision to non-Microsoft OSes. I'd rather buy three portable hard disks for more space than upgrade to Vista. Making it more difficult for pirates isn't going to help, the draconian measures will always be circumvented, legitimate users will suffer more and those who can't validate or buy genuine copies will move to other alternatives.

OP
Third Eye

Third Eye

gooby pls
Kiran_tech_mania said:
One more reason is Windows XP itself. Windows XP is a big competitor to Vista.

Agree

The problem of vista is
1) Too expensive
2) Resource hungry

XP Rules !

T

thunderbird.117

Companies nowday blame pirates for no reason. They only reason why it did not sell for them is because of all those anti-piracy crap,resource hungry, application compatibility and lot more. The reason they it is pirates because they did not have anything else to say. They can not blame on their products so pirates are their target.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
ajaykumarmeher said:
Hello how could you install Windows Vista Ultimate with 768 MB RAM........
Because 512 MB is the minimum requirement.

Even if you do not meet the minimum system requirements, you can install Vista Ultimate but Aero will be disabled. Yeah, that defeats the purpose but at least you can install it.

planetcall

Indian by heart
^^ Yeah, aryayush was quick to reply. I have vista installed on my desktop back at home. It is perfectly patched with updates disabled so i guess I am gonna enjoy it for atleast 1 year or so :) Only down side is that I was not able to use aero as I guess the prime pulling factor is the onboard gfx card. Since I am no more at home so I didnt get enough time to fiddle around with it but whatever I saw, gave me an impression that vista is incredibly cool. It indeed is but there is nothing compelling to jump to Vista which already demands good hardware. My XP SP2(forced legit) is pretty much satisfying from all aspects. But whatever.....Vista does look Sexxxxy. The logon screen is something to die for. You cant achieve similar effects with other utilities on xp. The new dreamscape of stardock also beautifies vista to a new level.

hard_rock

Salieri Family
tech_mastermind said:
Agree

The problem of vista is
1) Too expensive
2) Resource hungry

XP Rules !
Yep..
Plus

3) Consumes Hell lot of HDD space (around 8GB to run smoothly :( ).. Providing no extra NOTABLE FEATURES than XP. Again you have to install all softwares (Mainly antivirus ;) ) which will again take some more space..
Regarding Themes we can get Equivalent themes for XP.. I dont need just 3D for a cost of 8GB..
XP Still rulez for me!!!!

T

thunderbird.117

ssdivisiongermany1933 said:
East or west piracy is best , Piracy rocks for me . Long live pirates

Well. I do not agree. It is not good to praise the pirates. If you have money to buy the software buy it. Even the software developers needs money.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
don't they know even a lil bit of economics? They seriously expect ppl to buy a software for 5000 bucks in India??

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
XP was a hit because back then we were using 98SE or NT4.0 ... and now with Vista , we've got XP , Server 2003 ... then why would we invest our hard earned money on some OS that really hasn't made its mark yet .. MS just gives bullshit .. its not the piracy .. its XP ...

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Well, whos gonna pay heavy for lower performance! Not a sane soul.

The point bein... no one with a tight fist & a tighter mind will think of goin for Vista right now when XP's bein such a good boy for quite sometime.

Regarding the enhanced look of Vista... beauty-concious ppl'll just go for the Transformation Packs which r free & aplenty. We've got transformation packs from Longhorn to Vista to Macs!!!

Vista's a loser right now. Mayb a price similar to XP or free upgrade to Vista'll encourage a good set of legal users. That's the only way they can make Vista successful right now. Then too.. many'll hesitate for the mere fact that performance'll b hampered(it can b adjusted again) & more importantly... compatibility issues'll crop up for many fav applications and appendages(like camera/phone/printer software).

EagerBeaver

Journeyman
But a day will come in india ven vista will be freely avelbl vit all hardware wala and then it will rule insted of xp.

T

thunderbird.117

EagerBeaver said:
But a day will come in india ven vista will be freely avelbl vit all hardware wala and then it will rule insted of xp.

Then they will another OS from MS. The same thing is bound to happen same has what is happening now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom