Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thunderbird.117

Long live the Vista. Lool.

*www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38647

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
INSTALLING AMD'S LATEST Radeon drivers could result in a Blue Screen of Death and a busted system, AMD has disclosed.

Last week, we reported on the release of the latest update for AMD/ATI's Catalyst drivers, numbered 7.3. Whilst the release claimed to fix many problems for both Windows Vista and XP, it seems that it could have created a rather more major one.

On some systems - and AMD is yet to work out why, diagnostically - installing Catalyst 7.3, then rebooting, can cause a system to hit a BSOD which no amount of rebooting will get rid of.

Whilst attempting to troubleshoot the problem on the DriverHeaven forums, where plenty of ATI users are queueing up to try and give their tuppence worth of technical data, ATI has released the following workaround for users who have found themselves screaming blue, as well as looking at it:

*Start the PC in Safe Mode
*Go to Start > Run
*Run Services.Msc
*Find the ATI External Event Utility Service
*Right click > Properties
*Change it to Startup Type = Disabled
*Apply, then click OK
*Reboot.

If you do that correctly, you should be able to use your computer normally. However, your system won't detect if you plug in or unplug a display whilst Windows is running, since the External Event service that you just disabled is designed to do just that. It seems that this module must be where the problem is, but quite why it would go bonkers, not even ATI knows at the moment.

what does Vista has to do with this :-|, its not MS's fault, its AMD's.

:D

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
thunderbird.117 said:
Duh, M$ fanboys.
:D

you are a ANti M$ :p

see it technically dude, when was Vista launced & when was the ATi drivers launched :wink:, now who has to do HomeWork, M$ or ATi:?:

P.S. i'm not a fanboy :cool:

shantanu

Technomancer
i think now , in forum a small thing is also taken to a new thread... this is not so big issue...
this is error with AMD's catalyst drivers , not Vista... they even they worked for XP, means problems with driver software not the OS... please read the thing and then understnad. without reading posting is not good...

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
With any version of Windows, you'll always have driver problems - which ultimately leads to a BSOD.

[Edit-mail2and] Please stay on topic.

If you'll stick with Windows, you'll always see a BSOD.

Last edited by a moderator:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ati makes a mistake and vista is blamed ... so much for sensibility's amongst techies

vista has had nymerous beta versions for such companies to test their softwares and hardwares still if they are not able to code properly vista is said to have a problem

and what is a bsod .... it tells u that what u r doing has generated an error ... 8085,8051 all have errors, if i do something wrong in linux i will get an error .... MS' mistake is to show u an error with a blu bg ....

Josan

Gangsta
We must not blame vista for these reasons ..... vista is the best os ,,,,i Love my vista ,,,,,it is runing well

mediator

Technomancer
s18000rpm said:
what does Vista has to do with this , its not MS's fault, its AMD's.
I agree! But I dont think that for almost every error handling case they need to have a BSOD. They can have an elegant restart of windows or just a restart of the graphical session. If its a RAM problem then a BSOD is still understandable.

eddie

El mooooo
^ You are right but I guess this is a kernel issue and it does deserve a BSOD. I don't think an OS can be expected to show error messages with detailed graphics when its kernel has crashed.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
There is always a memory dump during a BSOD so why not check it out with windows debugging tools.It will show what caused the problem if u open the dump file with winDbg.exe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom