Vista and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ispote

Broken In
Hello,

I have recently purchased a Compaq laptop that is having Windows Vista Home Basic. Is it possible to install Windows XP SP2 simultaneously without doing removing Vista? I have not received any Vista CD/DVD with laptop and my vendor told me that Vista do not have any DVD Disk.
ThanQ in advance,

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
to install xp after vista follow this tutorial - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52686

and yes u dont get a vista dvd but u can install vista using any vista dvd and the serial no. used on ur machine ... u can use jellybeankeyfinder to retrieve the serial no. used on ur machine

OP
I

ispote

Broken In
ThanQ for replying. I have another problem. In my laptop, there is only one partition viz. C: having all 160 GB allocated. How can I create new partitions?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
use vista's inbuilt partition re-sizer ... right click on computer->manage-> physical drives and then sshrink as required there is a limit beyond which u cannot shrink ur c drive to reduce it to the minimum u need to turn off system restore and then restart

OP
I

ispote

Broken In
hi

I have got very strange problems after I install XP in the manner you prescribed.
The problems are as follows:

1) First of all, drive D: in Vista is shown as drive F: in WinXP.

2) I am not able to locate boot\fixntfs.exe anywhere on the hard disk. Thats why I am still not able to re-load Vista.

3) Whenever I try to install SP2, contents are extracted on C:. When I try to access this folder, the folder strangely disappears or a msg is displayed stating that The folder you are trying to access is inaccessible.

4) If I try to install updates like Driver Updates or Windows Installer Update, some strange messages appears (They are different for different installations)
For Example, "The File is correct" appears when I try to install Windows Installer Update from CD. When I try to install after copying to HDD, the EXE file strangely disappears.

Please help me. I need it very urgently.

ashishnehete

RiGhT HeRe RiGhT nOw
i have a similar kind of problem
i have a few month old dell Inspirion 6400
using vista home basic
Vista is a true memory hog
i wanted to instal Xp
but dell Media direct wont work on it
and i dont have the drivers for XP
though i am upgrading my ram to 2 gb Max it can handle
being an ENGG student now i need to work on AUTO CAD also

Status