Vista and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ispote

Broken In
Hello,

I have recently purchased a Compaq laptop that is having Windows Vista Home Basic. Is it possible to install Windows XP SP2 simultaneously without doing removing Vista? I have not received any Vista CD/DVD with laptop and my vendor told me that Vista do not have any DVD Disk.
ThanQ in advance,

OP
I

ispote

Broken In
ThanQ for replying. I have another problem. In my laptop, there is only one partition viz. C: having all 160 GB allocated. How can I create new partitions?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
use vista's inbuilt partition re-sizer ... right click on computer->manage-> physical drives and then sshrink as required there is a limit beyond which u cannot shrink ur c drive to reduce it to the minimum u need to turn off system restore and then restart

OP
I

ispote

Broken In
hi

I have got very strange problems after I install XP in the manner you prescribed.
The problems are as follows:

1) First of all, drive D: in Vista is shown as drive F: in WinXP.

2) I am not able to locate boot\fixntfs.exe anywhere on the hard disk. Thats why I am still not able to re-load Vista.

3) Whenever I try to install SP2, contents are extracted on C:. When I try to access this folder, the folder strangely disappears or a msg is displayed stating that The folder you are trying to access is inaccessible.

4) If I try to install updates like Driver Updates or Windows Installer Update, some strange messages appears (They are different for different installations)
For Example, "The File is correct" appears when I try to install Windows Installer Update from CD. When I try to install after copying to HDD, the EXE file strangely disappears.

Please help me. I need it very urgently.

ashishnehete

RiGhT HeRe RiGhT nOw
i have a similar kind of problem
i have a few month old dell Inspirion 6400
using vista home basic
Vista is a true memory hog
i wanted to instal Xp
but dell Media direct wont work on it
and i dont have the drivers for XP
though i am upgrading my ram to 2 gb Max it can handle
being an ENGG student now i need to work on AUTO CAD also

Status