Visiting USA, Required affordable SIM or Cellphone... help

hansraj

In the zone
Guys n Gals,
Shortly I am visiting USA for a couple of months and thus would require a US SIM or a Mobile to remain connected with my folks here in India. Did a survey and found these things so far, but at the same time would require the help of someone who has been to US before or faced similar situation. My findings and conclusions:

1. Not all the Indian GSM phones work in US as the GSM band in US is 850/1900MHz. But among my cells, two of the phones are Sony K510i and ASUS PDA P552W which support 1900MHz apart from the Indian band of 900/1800MHz. So one issue solved i suppose as my phones will work there.

2. The GSM providers in US provide locked phones i.e. SIMs are not sold separately. But a few providers do it which I am not aware yet. This is where I need your help !! Do let me know if you know any such provider and the requirements of acquiring the SIM thereafter. If possible the call rates too.

3. If getting the SIM is just not possible then what are the requirements to get a Locked Mobile phone and again the rental plan.

4. If there exists any other means of communication then do let me know.

The option of skype is known to me but for that I have to sit on PC, which of course I will do ocassionally but in this post I am looking only for the mobile communication.

Thanks guys...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Guys n Gals,
Shortly I am visiting USA for a couple of months and thus would require a US SIM or a Mobile to remain connected with my folks here in India. Did a survey and found these things so far, but at the same time would require the help of someone who has been to US before or faced similar situation. My findings and conclusions:

1. Not all the Indian GSM phones work in US as the GSM band in US is 850/1900MHz. But among my cells, two of the phones are Sony K510i and ASUS PDA P552W which support 1900MHz apart from the Indian band of 900/1800MHz. So one issue solved i suppose as my phones will work there.

2. The GSM providers in US provide locked phones i.e. SIMs are not sold separately. But a few providers do it which I am not aware yet. This is where I need your help !! Do let me know if you know any such provider and the requirements of acquiring the SIM thereafter. If possible the call rates too.

3. If getting the SIM is just not possible then what are the requirements to get a Locked Mobile phone and again the rental plan.

4. If there exists any other means of communication then do let me know.

The option of skype is known to me but for that I have to sit on PC, which of course I will do ocassionally but in this post I am looking only for the mobile communication.

Thanks guys...
Being in the US this is the best advice I can give you:

Buy a cheap prepaid cellphone in the US. A cheap phone can be had for as less as $25. Though it will be locked and be dual band (may not work in India). Refill it with $25 prepaid cards. To call home, get a calling card here in the US (UnionTelecard, StanaCard, IndiaMinutes etc.). When getting the pre-paid phone, make sure you select a plan that offers free night and weekend minutes (meaning 9pm-7am and all weekends are not charged). This is the most cost effective setup I can think of.

If you pay a li'l more like $50-60 you can get a tri-band phone that you can get unlocked in India and use. All carriers (AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile, Sprint, Cricket) have pre-paid phone. Though I suppose you should be knowing that Verizon and Sprint networks are CMDA based.

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
thank you so much..... your advice has definitely helped me in knowing the fact that there are plans with free night and weekend minutes!!!! I was not at all aware of this. so your advice looks fine to purchase a new cell at around $25.
Also I would like to know what would be the Operators document requirement to provide me with the phone as I am not a US Citizen.

pulsar_swift

Youngling
can we purchase DROID X by verizon and unlock it after coming back here ? Verizon is providing DROID X on CDMA network or is it GSM ?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
thank you so much..... your advice has definitely helped me in knowing the fact that there are plans with free night and weekend minutes!!!! I was not at all aware of this. so your advice looks fine to purchase a new cell at around $25.
Also I would like to know what would be the Operators document requirement to provide me with the phone as I am not a US Citizen.
Hmmm.. I'm not sure about that. If you don't have a US Credit Card you may need to goto the Operator's store. You may be asked for some kind of document that identifies you (Passport/VISA) and maybe your address where you'd be staying at.

Another real cost effective option is to get some kind of Wifi device with mic and purchase Skype credits. That prolly is the cheapest since almost everywhere you find a wifi network, of course sans when you are on road, in which case I assume you won't be calling anyways!

can we purchase DROID X by verizon and unlock it after coming back here ? Verizon is providing DROID X on CDMA network or is it GSM ?
Droid X is CDMA. If you purchase with subsidy you will need to sign a contract for 2 years that you'd be paying the monthly bill for 2 years.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

These are the AT&T prepaid packages:
Packages & Deals List - Shop - Wireless from AT&T

Other operators may have similar packages. Check out their websites. Also make sure you get enough (or even free) "Night and Weekend minutes"

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
now I am busy cheking the package rates... ;-)
I was also thinking what would work out to be economical... the cards offered by companies like Matrix or the local providers of US?

Top Bottom