Virus not gone....even after fresh Vista Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

muse.adulator

Broken In
I inserted a pen drive and I guess virus came through it.My task manager was disabled and comp was slow. Even after trying for many hours and diff antivirus, problem was there still.
Fustrated, I reinstalled my Vista OS.

Shockingly however , just after the install when I checked TASK MANAGER was still disabled, i.e. virus was still there!!

What to do????/

mrintech

Technomancer
Go for online scan: *www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner if you have a fast connection

ELSE

Download Kaspersky trial version from here: *www.kaspersky.com/trials

Update it with latest definition and than scan

You can opt either for KIS or KAV

;)

Last edited:
OP
muse.adulator

muse.adulator

Broken In
Did you format the OS partition before reinstalling Vista?
Yup . Can you believe it????

:(:(:(:(:(:(
As soon as the desktop came for the first time in the Freshly installed OS, i just right clicked to confirm that virus had gone!!! To my horror, TASK MANAGER , was still disabled and comp was slow.

Gawd, this is the worst nightmare!!

Avast detected some Win32 virus, but it wont repair m, only delete all exe's.

Kaspersky is not detecting anything!!!

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
dude,check out my vb.net application to remove files.it is made for removing these kinda viruses.if you know the location of the virus then browse to it and then click remove .
you must be a noob.vista asks your permission before executing every exe.
download and run spybot search and destroy .its " really really" good.

i still cant understand how u got back the virus even after fresh installation.u didnt restore it from any previous back ups,did u?

did u check the start up folder,the "run"registry key?

here is the link for my application.you can use it in future to remove pen drive viruses.

simple usb cleaner:)

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
The virus is back simply because you just formatted the vista os partition and reinstalled vista again but didnt formatted other partitions of your pc.

In fact the virus is just an autorun virus. it has already placed numerous copies of itself in every partition you have and as soon as you log into windows,the virus is getting executed via autorun.inf placed in every partition you have..

Either fully format the full hard drive and freshly install everything or scan the whole with a fully update antivirus scanner.

Try Kaspersky rescue disk. Its a stand alone linux based virus scanner. Download the iso,burn it into cds and boot from it and scan it from there.Eveything will be just fine after that.

Scan again with avast and copy the location of the virus. Now boot vista safe mode search for the file and delete it manually. If unable install unlocker (google it) and delete the file. Only if kaspersky fails.

OP
muse.adulator

muse.adulator

Broken In
The virus is back simply because you just formatted the vista os partition and reinstalled vista again but didnt formatted other partitions of your pc.
I guess you are right.

When I boottime scan my OS, it detectes every .exe and delete it, since its unable to recover it.
I dont want it to happen!!!:(:(

Oh, it's win32:sality-gen

Last edited:

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ Boot time scan may not treat the virus completely because the hdd is already mounted. Try Kaspersky rescue disk..its worth every penny ! I think your problem will be solved !

mrintech

Technomancer
go scan with these softwares, your problem will be 100% solved. Scan all drives, update the definitions to latest one and go for Full Scan not quick one:

1. *www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

2. *www.superantispyware.com/download.html

;)

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
To re-enable the Task manager, do this:-
Step 1:In the Orb menu's(Vista's Start menu) search function, type gpedit.msc and press enter. This will open the Group Policy editor.
Step 2:Navigate to User Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Ctrl+Alt+Del options using the left side pane.
Step 3: Double click on "Remove task manager" entry in the main area.
Step 4:Click on the "enabled" radio button and apply the changes.

Also, Install Spybot:S&D. It prevents any changes to the registry from unauthorized sources. It will ask for your permission everytime the virus tries to change the registry entries, thus preventing it from doing so!

Also, try to run a full system scan using Avast! or Nod32 while in safe mode to completely remove the virus. Or try the boot time scan feature of Avast!
I hope this helps.

OP
muse.adulator

muse.adulator

Broken In
Here is what I did from morning:

1) Scanned boot time my system completely using Avast. It detected many viruses and deleted 'em.

The Task Manager and Regedit was disabled still.

2)So completely updated Kaspersky AV 7 and scanned. it did't find any.

Then I did these
3. *www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

4. *www.superantispyware.com/download.html

They too found many malwares and deleted it.

Still TM and REGEDIT are disabled!!

I am tired.........what to do now????????:mad::confused::confused::confused::confused::(:(:(:(

Try Kaspersky rescue disk..its worth every penny ! I think your problem will be solved !
As KAV didn't find any problem, should I still do it?

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
1. Make UBCD4WIN in a clean system
2. Boot your PC with it, with your pendrive(s) plugged in
3. Open Avira (Red Umbrella)
4. Configuration -> Action on malware
-> Primary - repair
-> Secondary - delete
5. Click Local Protection->Manual->Mark all drives (non-optical)
6. Click Scan (magnifying glass on top)

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
I inserted a pen drive and I guess virus came through it.My task manager was disabled and comp was slow. Even after trying for many hours and diff antivirus, problem was there still.
Fustrated, I reinstalled my Vista OS.

Shockingly however , just after the install when I checked TASK MANAGER was still disabled, i.e. virus was still there!!

What to do????/

Please check you Vista Installation Disc.Probably it has a virus if not genuine.
Get another copy of Microsoft Vista.Check other harddisk partitions other than the OS partition.

mrintech

Technomancer
dude the thing is that all the viruses and worms are gone but as a stray mark they corrupted all the files.

Better backup your data, run updated scan on all drives and the backup, by means of softwares mentioned above

and Format, No other option

I recommend Full and updated SCAN Again for the drives and the backups you made.... why taking risk

Last edited:
OP
muse.adulator

muse.adulator

Broken In
SHould I re-install my Vista again after formatting the OS drive???

Cause,although my TASK MANAGER and REGEDIT are still disabled, I think the slowness has gone!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom