Virus Definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

parthosen

Right off the assembly line
Pls Suggest a way to remove Folder.htt Virus from my system without formatting the Hard disk.
Also Pls suggest a way to remove a malicious script in Internet Explorer 5.0 and Kernel.dll detected by Nortan Internet Security 2002.
The Os is Win ME.

GameAddict

In the zone
Virus Definations v/s New Versions of Anti-virus

Here is alink for you...

*securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/html.redlof.a.html

I also have one question....

What are the advantages of having the latest version of Anti virus (say Norton 2005 with latest virus updates) instead of an older version (say Norton 2003 with latest virus updates)?

What I know is that latest AV's come with better engines (but engine upgradation is also possible in some AV's, without buying the latest version) and can remove certain worms...anything else?

Bye!

GA

indrajit

Journeyman
Presence of "Folder.htt" doesn't nescessarily mean presence of redlof virus.
This file is also createde by the OS itself for customizing individual folder contents!
What OS and antivirus software are you using?Are they both updated?

Check out this link from microsoft before doing anything.

*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;181689

#/bin/sh

Journeyman
ur computer is infected by VBS/Redlof@X

check the more info at

*vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99476.htm

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
well i guess the major benefit of latest versions is a new engine which is more effective against viruses....of course older versions generally work just fine as long as u update ur virus definitions....

sr_ultimate

Journeyman
As stated above folder.htt is no virus it`s in every folder we make (I think ). VBS/Redlof attacks that folder.htt file

U can even use the FREE AVG 6.0 to remove it

dmoz

Right off the assembly line
malicious script in Internet Explorer 5.0 and Kernel.dll detected by Nortan Internet Security 2002.
I think u're PC is infected.....
there's no doubt.

amistik

Broken In
Re: Virus Definations v/s New Versions of Anti-virus

GameAddict said:
I also have one question....

What are the advantages of having the latest version of Anti virus (say Norton 2005 with latest virus updates) instead of an older version (say Norton 2003 with latest virus updates)?

What I know is that latest AV's come with better engines (but engine upgradation is also possible in some AV's, without buying the latest version) and can remove certain worms...anything else?

Bye!

GA

You have to upgrade your antivirus other wise Symantech, Macfee blah..blah..goin for Bank Ruptacy... :) ..er.. actually vendor provides updates of engine or defnation file for one or two year for a particular engine. example if you have very old norton antivirus 2000 or before you can not update the engines with latest version. you have to purchase new product.

saROMan

QA Juggler
if u r usin Win 98SE.....go to DOS .....edit c:\windows\system\kernel.dll...and remove the last 2 lines from it...which looks like VB code.........this will me stop the vir executing in the ram then....Find folder.htt and desktop.ini ......(uncheck hide files in folder option)...u can safely delete all of them ..coz after a reboot..the system imp files r again created by windows........u r done......Simple..........

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
i have nav 2004 pro bit i still use nav 2003 coz it is less resource hungry .I have only 128 mb ram and staying away from nav 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom