Virtual memory setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alive_Hunter

In the zone
Is there anyway i can check out the size of virtual memort currenty in use.

Is there any software to check the same.

Also what should be the optimum size of the virtual memory that should be set.

ALIVE HUNTER

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Alive_Hunter said:
Is there anyway i can check out the size of virtual memort currenty in use Is there any software to check the same.
:arrow: Try this:
$ free

:arrow: Or this one
$ cat /proc/meminfo

:arrow: Or otherwise you can add the System Monitor applent in GNOME panel and add memory, swap, network applents

Alive_Hunter said:
Also what should be the optimum size of the virtual memory that should be set.
Experts say twice of your RAM... but if you have a large RAM then even this rule can be twisted.

demoninside

In the zone
Come on dude, u never noticed u allocate a diffrent partetion for virtual memory, (Linux swap)

so hw much u hv allocated is ur VM

and yes if u want to cahek it in use, then let me think, u can do it even without using any command...........

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
demoninside said:
Come on dude, u never noticed u allocate a diffrent partetion for virtual memory, (Linux swap)
He probably want to know how much of swap space is currently being used which the system is doing some computation. Which will be lower than the total amount of swap installed on his system.

demoninside said:
and yes if u want to cahek it in use, then let me think, u can do it even without using any command...........
I would like to know how to do that.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
demoninside said:

please educate me too on your statement.

gauravnawani

Journeyman
He is refering to allocation of swap space during the installation process.
And there are few system stats application that shows you the umm. stats... ;) . Like for example 'system Monitor' inf FedoraCore 3 under Gnome desktop.

You can also use 'top' command at terminal for the same.

-gaurav

demoninside

In the zone
Yup i got it,
One of my friend showed me hw to check it's swap space in use in GUI mode,

I think i have forgetten the way to do it,

But i think Gaurav is right it was one of the monitoring tool to check it.................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom