Video Editing !!!!! Which Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

Intel, still pawns AMD when it comes to Video encoding, also make sure U get atleast 1.5 GB RAM, if using premiere

geek_rohit

In the zone
Dude one word of advice. Put in as much RAM as you can afford. I say atleast 512 MB. Don't neglect the RAM. It can prove to be a bottleneck for your processor, if you don't have enough RAM.

indro

In the zone
I have never seen ram usage of over 512 in my PC , which includes Video Ripping , Mpeg4 to mpeg 2 etc .

geek_rohit

In the zone
@indro I have been using Adobe Premier for some time now. Believe me u need a decent PC with enough RAM to apply the video effects quickly, or it will take lot of time to apply some effects on a full length movie. You might not be facing such problems because you are having a graphics card and it has some RAM of its own.

G

gxsaurav

I have been using Premiere Pro & After effects from the last 4 months, & belive me it is heavy on RAM, importing a 690 MB DivX was not posible before, but now I incresed my pagefile to 2 GB, atleast it is working but slow

1.5 GB RAM is absolute minimum if U R into heavy video editiing, like pro guys, if U R simply for home then even 256 MB is enough

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
gxsaurav said:
I have been using Premiere Pro & After effects from the last 4 months, & belive me it is heavy on RAM, importing a 690 MB DivX was not posible before, but now I incresed my pagefile to 2 GB, atleast it is working but slow

1.5 GB RAM is absolute minimum if U R into heavy video editiing, like pro guys, if U R simply for home then even 256 MB is enough
Hey dude I think 2 GB of pagefile is far much more than enough !!!
I dont think so much pagefile is needed !!! :wink:

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@rachitboom2: You've obviously never worked with Adobe Premiere then. That is one software that needs heavy duty CPUs, oodles (read GBs) of high speed RAM, a really fast hard disk, and tons of virtual memory to work the way its supposed to work.

@plsoft: Everyone is right. Video encoding is the last thing in which Intel hasn't succumbed to the AMD64s. But remember that you need a lot of RAM and quite a good video card if you dont want to spend too much time watching the export process. Without at least 1GB of low-latency RAM, be prepared to spend hours doing something else while Premiere works at exporting an 1 hour movie.

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey I have used Adobe Premiere, but I havent had any problem yet of low RAM as I already have 768 MB RAM (3 * 256) and 1024 MB of pagefile !!!

progistheway

Broken In
I've been using Premiere for quite a time now. Well most of you guys hit the spot. Premiere needs RAM and a lot of it. I have this 3 GHz P4 system with 2GB DDR 400 and still some effects render slowly. But for home videos and the like 768 would be more than enough. And yea Intels are definitely geared towards Video Encoding esp. with the inclusion of Hyperthreading and the huge cache.

G

gxsaurav

2 GB Page file, I know it's more then required but I m staying on a safe side

for light home video editing, Windows Movie Maker is even enough, with 256 MB RAM

The speed at which Premeiere applies filters is not RAM dependent, but CPU & effect dependent, the motion effect is applied fast as it has less work to do while the Keying & Matte are slow, as there is lot of calculation, upgrading your RAM or CPU won't give U much of the performance increse

ennonmai
exporting a Movie with premiere is compleately CPU bound, get a Dual CPU system & see the difference, the WMV 9 codec takes very much time, best codec I have found is DivX 5.21 with 4 mb bitrate & the required resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom