Video card - is it worth installing a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanjay_111

Broken In
Hi all,

This is my first post. I happen to be an avid gamer. playing Civ IV right now.

I have a compaq presario SR IL 1930. I will bother you to view the configuration at this URL (I really want u guys to advise me on this one, so do go to the URL and see) - *h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00679548&lc=en&cc=in&dlc=en&product=3195124&lang=en

Here is my question:

Is it worthwhile to instal a new video graphic card ? Will it enhance the gaming experience (better resolution / faster processing etc.) ?

If so, which card will suit me the best ?

Look forward to some real help on this one. I suspect I can get much better gaming experience and want to do something about it.

Thanks all

Sanjay

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Hi Sanjay.Welcome to the forum.

Just to get you started.If you do have any specific query only with regards to your Graphic card upgrade then we a sticky thread running for it.You might want to check it out.Here's the link: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5193

and if you have general upgrading system query then here's a sticky link again: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66140

You can use the above links for future reference.;)

Now coming to your query I'd say that the Xpress 200 chipset is almost outdated.Upgrading to a graphic card is totally your choice.The main thing is what kind of gaming are you into & most importantly how are you willing to spend for it.Let us know about your preferences & we could help further.

OP
S

sanjay_111

Broken In
Allwyn, thanks for your reply.

I am going to want to play games like Starcraft II when it comes out. I am prepared to spend like 5 - 6 K for the card and additional for RAM if required.

Equally importantly, we keep graphics settings below the best possible resolution and features because the game loading and processing is already a little sticky. We would like to enjoy all the features and at a faster speed if possible.

Hope this tells u what I want. Any suggestions now will be welcome.

Once again, appreciate your taking the trouble to reply. Going to the other threads u suggested.

Sanjay

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
In that case to begin with the very basic I think you'll need to get the graphic card separately as I think branded dealer's would charge you heavy premium for the upgrades.If you are ready to spend around 6k then I think Nvidia's 8600GT would be your best bet at this point.You'll probably need an extra gig of ram module.This card will take care of your gaming @1024x768 resolutions with current games & at higher resolutions for older lot.

The CPU would be a serious concern out here so you'll need to watch out unless you plan to stick to normal resolution gaming.Also check if you PSU is atleast 400W one.The card would not chew much power but it's better to be on a safe side.;)

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
ye sanjay we have the same pc, compaq presario i have one thing to add
that pc is a bunch of bull and id reccomend u get a new mobo, plus that thing supports a maximum of 533mhz of ram, which is not good u need at least 667 so id really suggest that u consider this
plus 1gb ram and 8600gt shud be good, but its always best to get 2gig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom