Versatile Config : 50k

Nashnir

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mostly for gaming, Rendering and CAD Applications.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 50k to 55k Max

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: If there is room to overclock then it is just a bonus not necessary

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Currently Win7 ( Don't like Win8 ) but may upgrade later

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 2TB Internal green drive would be good but not necessary and atleast 120GB of SSD would be nice.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No, Already got a 1080p Monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I don't want a monitor, Keyboard+Mouse. I just want the components inside the Cabinet

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: In a month. But if there are CPU/GPU lined up for release within 4 months then I may hold off. Please inform in replies if they are. Thanks.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have built all my systems myself

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mumbai. I am open to buying from anywhere as long as the service and price is good.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: The basic components I need within 50k are CPU, GPU, Mobo, HDD, PSU, SSD, RAM.

Also since I am assembling it myself, If a good cabinet and Thermal Paste can be put in the lot within 50k, I would be glad but not at the cost of CPU or GPU if you think squeezing them in will lower the value of the Config by a good margin then do not include them in.

I would also like if there is a min of 8GB ram, since I actually need that much at min in my day to day activities.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Option 1 :

Intel i5-3550 @ 11.5k

Intel Z75ml-45k @ 4.5k

G.Skill RipjawsX 4 x 2 - 8gb GB @ 4.2k

Zotac Gtx 760 2gb ddr5 @ 20k

Seasonic S12 520 watt @ 3.7k

Corsair carbride 400r cabinet @ 4.5k

Seagate 2TB @ 5.6k

Asus DRW 24B3ST dvd @ 1k

Total - rs 54,700

Option 2 :

FX 8350 @ 12.5k

Asus M5A97 R2.0 evo @7k

G.Skill RipjawsX 4 x 2 - 8gb GB @ 4.2k

Sapphire HD 7870 xt 2gb with boost @ 17.5k

Seasonic S12 620 watt @ 4.7k

Coolermaster k380 cabinet @ 3.2k

Seagate 2TB @ 5.6k

Asus DRW 24B3ST dvd @ 1k

Total - rs 55,700

Other cabinet options :

Nzxt source 210 elite (with side window ) @2.9k

Corsair Carbride 200r - @3.4k

Cilus

laborare est orare
As your third post, you are very clear about your requirements and really clear everything up.... Good Job done.

Here is your suggestion:-

AMD FX-8350 @ 11.6K
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 @ 6.6K
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 MHz CL9 DDR3 @ 4.5K
Seagate 2TB 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache (ST2000DM001) @ 5.8K
Corsair Carbide 400R Cabinet @ 5K
Antec VP650P SMPS @ 4.57K (Snapdeal.com)
Sapphire HD 7870 XT 2GB GDDR5 @ 17K
Asus 24X SATA DVD R/W @ 1K
Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD @ 6K

Total: 62K

Fx 8350 (11.5k), asus m5a97 evo r2.0 (7.2k), gskill ripjawsX 4 GB (2.2k), wd blue 2 TB (5.8k), sapphire hd7950 vapourx (22k), seasonic s12II 520W (~4k), corsair 400R (5.5k) total: 58k

OP
N

Nashnir

I actually would like to completely steer off from the AMD FX8XXX lineup. From what I had seen in forums while I would like to have one I think they consume way too much power. Even their new lineup has something like 120+ TDP.

Also, while I do appreciate the efforts, most configs are out of the budget that I stated and thus a no go. Sorry.

Here is the lineup I was thinking, Please comment on it.
All prices are from online stores. Please help me out if you know of better prices and where to get them, especially from local stores in Mumbai. Thanks in advance.

Intel i5 3570 12495 smc
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP 6515 itdepot
Corsair XMS 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 3900 primeabgb
Seasonic S12 520 watt @ 3.7k (@ASHISH65) Is this power supply enough?
Samsung 840 Series 120 GB (MZ-7TD120BW) 6161 Flipkart
GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD 16300 smc international

Total:49071

With the above config will have to wait some time to get a new HDD and will have to use my old Elite 210 series Cabinet.

The only thing I will have to squeeze in is a thermal paste.

I actually would like to completely steer off from the AMD FX8XXX lineup. From what I had seen in forums while I would like to have one I think they consume way too much power. Even their new lineup has something like 120+ TDP.

Also, while I do appreciate the efforts, most configs are out of the budget that I stated and thus a no go. Sorry.

Here is the lineup I was thinking, Please comment on it.
All prices are from online stores. Please help me out if you know of better prices and where to get them, especially from local stores in Mumbai. Thanks in advance.

Intel i5 3570 12495 smc
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP 6515 itdepot
Corsair XMS 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 3900 primeabgb
Seasonic S12 520 watt @ 3.7k (@ASHISH65) Is this power supply enough?
Samsung 840 Series 120 GB (MZ-7TD120BW) 6161 Flipkart
GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD 16300 smc international

Total:49071

With the above config will have to wait some time to get a new HDD and will have to use my old Elite 210 series Cabinet.

The only thing I will have to squeeze in is a thermal paste.

> You'll save at max 30-40 rupees with the power consumption difference between FX 8350 and i5 xxxx. TDP isn't power consumption, its the maximum amount of heat the cpu will dissipate before undergoing a thermal shutdown. Both power and heat energy, so both can be measured in Watts.

> Your max budget as stated was 55k, and the config I suggested is just 3k more than that. 3k extra for a future proof, overclockable and more powerful config is justified IMO.

> Now are you willing to go with AMD Fx 8xxx knowing that the power consumption difference will not me much?

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent

Leti5 consume 90W on load & FX8350 consume 200W on load..

diff : 110w

consider PSU efficiency factors etc : 130W

Now you PC runs @ full load for 5hrs daily then extra power consumed = 650Whr = .65unit

Let 1 unit cost = Rs 7 then daily extra cost : Rs 4.55

extra cost monthly : Rs 136.5

Annual extra cost : Rs 1638

So even in ideal case you will spend 1638 more each year..
Now no one uses system for 5hrs @ full load every day a year....... My guess you won't pay Rs 1000 more per year. But Upgrade chance very good. performance re commendably better.

I guess you can save more by simply switching off monitor & putting computer to sleep @ appropriate times.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ The above calculation is little exaggerated. The 200W Power consumption will happen when all the cores will run at 100% load for some times and in the 5 hours of load time, most of the time the power consumption will be around 125 to 170W at maximum. Also that 200W Power consumption only occurs when highly multi-threaded and intensive workload has been applied. Example will be X264 Video Encoding using Handbrake.
Even when gaming, not all the 8 Cores run at full load and the power consumption stays little lower. Normally the extra money you pay for having an FX-8350 is around 60 to 70 bucks per month.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
^^ The above calculation is little exaggerated. The 200W Power consumption will happen when all the cores will run at 100% load for some times and in the 5 hours of load time, most of the time the power consumption will be around 125 to 170W at maximum.

I know....
I did it intentionally..
see actually calculation ended @ 1650 but I quoted <1k..
so it's kinda okay.

^^ The above calculation is little exaggerated. The 200W Power consumption will happen when all the cores will run at 100% load for some times and in the 5 hours of load time, most of the time the power consumption will be around 125 to 170W at maximum. Also that 200W Power consumption only occurs when highly multi-threaded and intensive workload has been applied. Example will be X264 Video Encoding using Handbrake.
Even when gaming, not all the 8 Cores run at full load and the power consumption stays little lower. Normally the extra money you pay for having an FX-8350 is around 60 to 70 bucks per month.

You made the point clearer :) Even in the worst of the worst case, OP wouldn't be saving enough to buy a 4 GB ram annually.

OP
N

Nashnir

I guess I hadn't researched as well as I thought I had.
Well, guess my theory goes down the drain. And in that respect I researched the 8350
once again hitting almost every site I could.
The problem is I don't see much consistency at all in the reviews.
In some places the 8350 comes on top in Multi-threaded applications and in the rest it is portrayed
as a crutch wielding processor who sucks power and the only think it has to itself is its pricing.

Also the first system I built myself was with an AMD Althlon XP 4000+, just when it was released. I believe this was one
one of the last single core processors before the Dual cores went mainstream. So I am not anti AMD.

So, I guess I will go with the 8350.
But I do want a frank opinion of someone who owns an 8350 regarding the temperature generated
in a non AC ambient room with stock fans during heavy workloads.
While I might have wrongly drawn the conclusion that a TDP ( I know its meaning ) is set because it can go upto that level of power
usage during its normal operation, I had also assumed that higher power drawn also means higher temperatures.
I am not in an A/C controlled room and also the ambient during summers is generally 43.

So, I need to know if I have to invest in a non stock CPU Cooling system.

Also it seems LGA1155 is EOL with the AM3+ Having atleast a steamroller down the line.

Thanks for all your help.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
@OP : Everybody here will suggest you to use an aftermarket cooler instead of the stock cooler for AMD rigs specially during heavy workloads.

Cilus

laborare est orare
If you are not overclocking then the temperature will be around 62 to 64 degree maximum provided all the 8 cores are running at 95% to 100% load for elongated time period. However, if you create custom fan profiles using your Motherboard's supplied software suit and create a more aggressive Fan profile, the temperature will be much lower. I was using Asus AI Tool for that before getting this Hyper 212 Plus.

@OP; the inconsistency between reviewers may be because of the fact that sometimes reviewers are not provided with the final, market product but instead provided with samples and pre-production products.

Top Bottom