VDSL Modem / Router for AirTel VFibre

jasku

In the zone
Syncing occurs in any telephone line based broadband after modem is turned on(think of it as coming up of network provider signal in mobile after being turned on or restarted).In case of ADSL it takes around 1-1.5 min after turning on the modem for connection to become usable for net.
Even if that is true, I dont see that as an issue at all, once the link is up, it makes no difference. Honestly, infact I feel VDSL is faster than DSL in my experience.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
VDSL is indeed faster than ADSL.I don't know about syncing times of VDSL but usually syncing at high speeds means if there is a problem in line quality,connection will also break/disrupted quickly & will take more time to come back after a re-sync.If line quality is good then there should not be any issues once sync is established.

jasku

In the zone
VDSL is indeed faster than ADSL.I don't know about syncing times of VDSL but usually syncing at high speeds means if there is a problem in line quality,connection will also break/disrupted quickly & will take more time to come back after a re-sync.If line quality is good then there should not be any issues once sync is established.
Yes, my first hand experience corroborates your understanding.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ico
Do we need special modems for 40 mbps speed or the normal tp link one's are fine? Almost all tp link one's support either 150 mbps or 300 mbps.
Jio broadband guys said that we need to purchase their cisco modems to get 40 mbps speed.
Verify the technology your ISP is using. ADSL, VDSL or cable. Then buy a device accordingly.

Can you please explain what this means and how does it impact the internet experience?
I'm talking about the very first sync after which the DSL light becomes stable. VDSL takes a bit of time.

But yes, after the link is established I don't face disconnections. Very rarely if any.

Even if that is true, I dont see that as an issue at all, once the link is up, it makes no difference.

yes, you are right.

Last edited:
OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
UPDATE:
Last month, they changed my ADSL connection to VDSL by supplying a Binatone DT920W. The plan is INR699 (30GB FUP). I am using a INR100 (20GB) topup as well. All Calls are free and they have added 500GB data for free. Speed is up to 16Mbps and I have downloaded a file of 8.4GB using IDM with speed up to 2MBPS.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
UPDATE:
Last month, they changed my ADSL connection to VDSL by supplying a Binatone DT920W. The plan is INR699 (30GB FUP). I am using a INR100 (20GB) topup as well. All Calls are free and they have added 500GB data for free. Speed is up to 16Mbps and I have downloaded a file of 8.4GB using IDM with speed up to 2MBPS.
Same is the case in my area. I got a Binatone modem too. The model number is different. How much did they charge for that modem? That 500gb data is for 6 months.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Same is the case in my area. I got a Binatone modem too. The model number is different. How much did they charge for that modem? That 500gb data is for 6 months.
they did not ask for any money then. next bill also did not had any such charge. waiting for this month to end, only then can confirm.

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
They called me a dozen times for upgrading from current 8mbps to 16mbps by paying 500 Rs for fiber modem.
Only for 3 months the limit of 45GB will be raised to 100GB. They don't agree to permanent revision of FUP limit.
Also calls will be free, no need of topup for that.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
They called me a dozen times for upgrading from current 8mbps to 16mbps by paying 500 Rs for fiber modem.
Only for 3 months the limit of 45GB will be raised to 100GB. They don't agree to permanent revision of FUP limit.
Also calls will be free, no need of topup for that.
Upgrade only if your friends are getting 16 mbps speed in your area. I hardly get around 10 mbps in my area. Also note that once you switch to Vfibre your current ADSL modem would be useless.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then don't upgrade.If you are going to get a crappy vdsl modem without any permanent benefits in terms of FUP then why upgrade unless you really need 16mbps.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
i am getting good speed mostly and when downloading any file using IDM, the speed goes up to 2MBps. yesterday evening I updated MIUI on my Redmi 4A (1.4GB download) using WiFi. when it started, it was under 100Kbps and even before i realized it shifted gears and by the time i came back after dinner and checked i found out that some 1.3GB has been downloaded and the speed is some 2.08MBps.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
i am getting good speed mostly and when downloading any file using IDM, the speed goes up to 2MBps. yesterday evening I updated MIUI on my Redmi 4A (1.4GB download) using WiFi. when it started, it was under 100Kbps and even before i realized it shifted gears and by the time i came back after dinner and checked i found out that some 1.3GB has been downloaded and the speed is some 2.08MBps.
In my area no one is getting more than 10mbps. All SHITtel say is that the speed will fluctuate no matter what.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Can someone post the required settings for the Airtel V-fiber to work. I have a modem-router which is supposed to support VDSL connections but I have never been able to get it to work (TP-Link W8968). In the Manual it says:

"LAN4/WAN, LAN3, LAN2, LAN1: Through these ports, you can connect the modem router to
your PC or the other Ethernet network devices. Enable EWAN function and you will be able to
connect to Cable/FTTH/VDSL/ADSL device."

Airtel has some weird settings because of which quick setup never works. Googling hasn't been of any help.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^It depends on the airtel modem settings which it seems are locked by airtel technician.If you can access airtel modem settings by entering the required username/password only then it can be done.Else you need to ask airtel technician to setup your airtel vdsl modem in bridge mode & then connect it to your W8968 in router only mode.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Won't work. I ordered a w8968 last year and after 2 months my connection was switched to vdsl. Afaik you won't be able to use that modem because they want to sell their crappy modem.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^It is still possible to use it as router if airtel modem is setup in bridge mode by technician(which he didn't in your case I think).

Top Bottom