VDSL Modem / Router for AirTel VFibre

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
today someone came to my home asking me to get a VFibre connection. i have an ADSL connection from them. was told they will supply a HIGH SPEED BETTER modem for INR1000 (200/month for 5 months). this may be a huawei / beetel one. browsed and found that this may be restricted / not very good. so looking for some cost effective better alternatives.
thanks.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
What's the real bandwidth as per your usage? And what's the price of the monthly plan?

i have not yet changed (upgraded in their language) as from what i have gathered its not yet properly available but they are taking orders for new connection and trying to get ADSL customers to change to it.
the leaflet given shows the following plans -
749 - 10GB, up to 8Mbps
849 - 20GB, up to 16

up to 40 plans
999 - 30gb
1199 - 50
1399 - 75
1599 - 100
1999 - 160
2599 - 250
3499 - 400

it appears Jio is also going to launch broadband somewhere in near future so its a race for them to get customers

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get the modem for Airtel,there is nothing much one can get from tweaking settings for a modem(ADSL or VDSL). VDSL uses the same copper wire in telephone lines as ADSL,just more efficiently & hence providing faster speeds.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
ok. thanks buddy. many airtel guys are telling people that it will be changed to ofc (v-Fiber) and that is why it will provide better speed.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
ofc is definitely better but also more costly.With their current business model I doubt they can match the spending spree of reliance which has a lot more money to spare.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
there are rumors going on that jio broadband might be launched in 2-3 months using ofc. that may be the reason for them to push their v-fiber. lucknow officially is not in the list but in upcoming places but they have converted lot many existing customers and some of them say they are satisfied though almost all of them use it in some sort of shop not engaged in any IT activity.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Without decent FUPs,there isn't much point in getting VDSL/Fiber.Recent underground telephone lines are as good as underground OFC as far as reliability is concerned.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
there are rumors going on that jio broadband might be launched in 2-3 months using ofc. that may be the reason for them to push their v-fiber. lucknow officially is not in the list but in upcoming places but they have converted lot many existing customers and some of them say they are satisfied though almost all of them use it in some sort of shop not engaged in any IT activity.

What's ofc dear? Jio dth has launched on testing purposes in few cities of Punjab. Also they are installing new lines for their broadband here.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol, I just don't know why Airtel has come up with such a fancy name "V-fiber" for VDSL. Nothing will change, it just works over your existing telephone line. Just that it is capable of supporting higher speeds than ADSL.

40 mbps is possible if you are close to the exchange. In other countries even 100 mbps is being supplied over telephone wire VDSL.

But one important thing, the sync in VDSL takes quite a bit of time vs. ADSL. If they are not offering you any FUP data upgrade or are charging you money for the VDSL router, just stick to what you have.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
@ico
Do we need special modems for 40 mbps speed or the normal tp link one's are fine? Almost all tp link one's support either 150 mbps or 300 mbps.
Jio broadband guys said that we need to purchase their cisco modems to get 40 mbps speed.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
That depends on connection type,those 150/300mbps speeds are wifi network speeds.e.g.most commonly found home modems/routers are ADSL/lan wire not VDSL or coaxial cable(those used by hathway,asianet etc). ACT broadband 50mbps uses optical fiber but the wire coming into the home is a lan wire so any router will do but Hathway 50mbps uses coaxial cable so you have to use their cable modem but you can add your own wifi router for better/smoother wifi performance.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
That depends on connection type,those 150/300mbps speeds are wifi network speeds.e.g.most commonly found home modems/routers are ADSL/lan wire not VDSL or coaxial cable(those used by hathway,asianet etc). ACT broadband 50mbps uses optical fiber but the wire coming into the home is a lan wire so any router will do but Hathway 50mbps uses coaxial cable so you have to use their cable modem but you can add your own wifi router for better/smoother wifi performance.
Thanks. Idk the type of wiring to be used by Jio. They just said that it is Optical Fiber. Should we deposit security amount for the Cisco modem if tplink one cannot be used?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes,as far as I know cisco doesn't make the usual home user modem/router so if Jio is insisting on it,then connection wire may not be the usual lan wire type.

jasku

In the zone
@ico
Do we need special modems for 40 mbps speed or the normal tp link one's are fine? Almost all tp link one's support either 150 mbps or 300 mbps.
Jio broadband guys said that we need to purchase their cisco modems to get 40 mbps speed.

You do need a VDSL modem that supports 150mbps-300mbps speed. I am on V-fiber in Bangalore, they first gave me a Binatone 910W, had issues, it was then replaced by Huawei, it has been steady since then. I am currently getting 40mbps download and 5-6 mbps upload which is quite decent for my usage, as I dont have any other FTTH service providers in my area. Also, the underground wiring of Airtel helps with reliability.

For new connections, the modem cost can be offset by paying 3 months rental, existing customers will have to pay Rs.1000 for the modem, split into instalments of Rs.200 across 5 months.

lol, I just don't know why Airtel has come up with such a fancy name "V-fiber" for VDSL. Nothing will change, it just works over your existing telephone line. Just that it is capable of supporting higher speeds than ADSL.

40 mbps is possible if you are close to the exchange. In other countries even 100 mbps is being supplied over telephone wire VDSL.

But one important thing, the sync in VDSL takes quite a bit of time vs. ADSL. If they are not offering you any FUP data upgrade or are charging you money for the VDSL router, just stick to what you have.

Can you please explain what this means and how does it impact the internet experience?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Syncing occurs in any telephone line based broadband after modem is turned on(think of it as coming up of network provider signal in mobile after being turned on or restarted).In case of ADSL it takes around 1-1.5 min after turning on the modem for connection to become usable for net.

Top Bottom